Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3612 3613 [3614] 3615 3616 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14471578 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #54195 on: July 15, 2014, 11:46:50 am »

Been playing a lot of old games and I think I have mostly categorized them according to a bit of criteria

1) Games that hold up and are actually pretty fun to play with no noticeable loss of quality or enjoyment (I think we all know games like this)
2) Games that hold up but where you have to excuse certain parts of the gameplay to have fun (Lands of Lore)
3) Games that don't hold up but you understand what people saw in them and can see people enjoying today... (Realms of Arkania... You need to read a guide for character creation)
4) Games that don't hold up and you have no idea how anyone liked it...
and then
5) Games that don't hold up but are somehow master strokes of genius that you WISH someone would do a modern remake of...
-Note: Holds up means playable and enjoyable to an extent. This easily shifts person to person.

So I am looking at Starpoint and honestly playing the game is so painful... and yet the concept, the features, and even some of the gameplay is amazing. Basically it is Prospector a Roguelike, in fact Prospector is clearly inspired by Starpoint, except it is much more grounded in science and where exploration is "the point" of the game with trade being secondary. Your goal is to find a world similar to earth and basically report on it, you explore many alien planets and can face many foes (some quite alien... one being just a sphere of plasma... yeah don't fight that one).

Yet my WTF is the sheer number of games in the 5th category. Heck there are quite a few "pretty playable games" that are genius in the 2nd category, a few that no one even remembers (Heck one with a fully developed conversation system years ahead of any other game in existence... made in the 90s).

There is just so much untapped potential, and people say things have already been done...

I like old games for not babying their audience, yet often that comes with severe obtuseness. I kind of wish a lot of these games found a balance between those two.
Pretty curious to see this list, actually.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54196 on: July 15, 2014, 11:47:48 am »

Been around 3 and a half years, been lurking for most of it though.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54197 on: July 15, 2014, 12:25:25 pm »

I don't think I've really been around all that long, which is odd since people recognize me quite a bit.

EDIT: Yeah, only 2 years.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #54198 on: July 15, 2014, 12:26:42 pm »

I've been here for...
11 months, I believe.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #54199 on: July 15, 2014, 12:29:30 pm »

Three years, give or take. I've been lurking for a while before that.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54200 on: July 15, 2014, 12:32:27 pm »

Been here since right after Summer Break started after 8th grade, I'll be in 11th grade in about three weeks... two years.
I've been here two years.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #54201 on: July 15, 2014, 12:36:02 pm »

I've been here at least 4 years; it'll be 5 in November.

I guess I'm kinda old, but I don't consider myself a true Old One. I never knew the forum that came before the present one or even witnessed the plane of insanity where all topics in the lower boards mixed together called Various Nonsense.

But I do remember the Feudalism thread, Bay 12's failed attempt to start a commune, Retro's Adventure Guy illustrated suggestion game (before that genre even had a name, I believe), Solifuge's Streams, Vector's Streams, playing a family of Battlechefs as I crawled through the Tomb of Horrors with fellow Bay12ers, various avatar fads...

Now I remember why I've stuck around so long.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54202 on: July 15, 2014, 12:38:57 pm »

I've been here just about two years, but I had another account before. I got this one when I decided to actually start posting with some regularity instead of lurking for months between posts as before. My old one is still an escaped lunatic.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #54203 on: July 15, 2014, 12:40:58 pm »

I'l just stand here holding the bars of my crib, shall I?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #54204 on: July 15, 2014, 01:12:06 pm »

There's no limit to the amount you can type, but it only saves the first however many characters. It's irritating.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #54205 on: July 15, 2014, 02:09:08 pm »

I want... a video of a baby being tossed out an airplane (bear with me...) as it free falls, it gets older and older, and the ground gets closer and closer, eventually it becomes an old man, and slams into a grave.

Also, the airplane is shaped like a vagina.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54206 on: July 15, 2014, 02:14:30 pm »

I want... a video of a baby being tossed out an airplane (bear with me...) as it free falls, it gets older and older, and the ground gets closer and closer, eventually it becomes an old man, and slams into a grave.

Also, the airplane is shaped like a vagina.
Truly the most aerodynamic of shapes.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #54207 on: July 15, 2014, 02:19:58 pm »

I've been here about 3 1/2 years, at varying levels of activity.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #54208 on: July 15, 2014, 02:20:51 pm »

Less than a year, proving I am one of the most active forumites, due to the fact I've been here around eight or nine months and have more posts than like half the longtimers and other FG&RP maniacs.

Like my signature says, *WIZARD!*
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #54209 on: July 15, 2014, 02:21:38 pm »

Less than a year, proving I am one of the most active forumites, due to the fact I've been here around eight or nine months and have more posts than like half the longtimers and other FG&RP maniacs.

Like my signature says, *WIZARD!*
* Lyeos points at himself.
;D
Take a closer look at this text!
Pages: 1 ... 3612 3613 [3614] 3615 3616 ... 11037