Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3595 3596 [3597] 3598 3599 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14479599 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #53940 on: July 13, 2014, 02:48:44 pm »

Oh dang, Night Vale walked out. That's mismanagement on a grand scale.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53942 on: July 13, 2014, 02:52:51 pm »

Wasn't this kind of doomed to failure from the start?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #53943 on: July 13, 2014, 02:53:54 pm »

Wasn't this kind of doomed to failure from the start?
Yep.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm done looking into this cesspit. There is nothing more whatery or fuckery that can be gleaned by further inspection into this mess.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53944 on: July 13, 2014, 02:55:51 pm »

o_o

i just don't even know
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #53945 on: July 13, 2014, 03:02:55 pm »

O_o
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 03:04:26 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #53946 on: July 13, 2014, 03:03:06 pm »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #53947 on: July 13, 2014, 03:05:10 pm »

*Does research*

Ok apparently the orgy thing was a joke referencing something that may or may not have happened at a brony convention. That makes much more sense.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #53948 on: July 13, 2014, 03:08:58 pm »

Orgy at a brony convention?

This keeps getting worse.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53949 on: July 13, 2014, 03:12:18 pm »

all this shit just makes me want to go to my peaceful animucon in a foreign land because nobody hosts them here where the worst you'll see is a greasy man with a neckbeard browsing through an aspiring drawsmith's desk of dicks and asking you for opinion on them

in a shameful display, it's still several months before it happens and i will probably not attend this year

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #53950 on: July 13, 2014, 03:14:13 pm »

WAIT A SECOND THIS CONVENTION IS IN MY HOMETOWN. ITS ONLY 6 MILES FROM WHERE I LIVE

...I FEEL SO ASHAMED
It's FEF, not FEOF

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #53951 on: July 13, 2014, 03:19:49 pm »

I like TES lore because it's so different from basically every other fantasy game ever.

Mostly because TES already runs on the assumption that history is completely subjective and that multiple contrary events can all be true. As well "past" and "Future" are meaningless terms as they both happen congruently.

Thus multiple authors can basically write anything they want.

My theory is that the reason for this is because the Elder Scroll universe is not "foretold" by the elder scrolls but created by it. Thus narrative contrivances become ingrained upon the universe. Either that or the laws of physics are very weak in Elder Scrolls and thus causality, time, and space are vague forces.

The basic TES lore is quite stereotypical at heart.

It was all but explicitly said in Morrowind that they became the skin of the Numidium. Morrowind only said explicitly that the Dwemer happened to all disappear at the exact moment that Kagrenac used his Tools to activate the Numidium, so that's the obvious connection.

You cannot claim absolute canon within elder scrolls because every possible event that could have created the situation all occurred and the final result is mostly unknown.

As well you especially cannot claim it because the Dwemer exist in the future and the past... thus they still exist in the present thanks to the way time works in Elder Scrolls.

---

Basically to understand the lore just remember this: Events can happen in any number of any order and can be as contrary to other events as possible and all be true... in fact any event, so long as it has multiple outcomes, all possible outcomes occur at the same time. This can even extend to "what ifs" as the entire reason for an event can be contradictory but still true.

In otherwords in Skyrim both the Imperials and the Nords won the war... The Azure star was both corrupted and purified...

...No, not really. A big part of it is the subjectiveness, but the subjectiveness doesn't apply to certain extremely large things such as Numidium or Talos. It's a lot like Doctor Who's "fixed point in time" mumbo jumbo, really, and in fact I'd say Doctor Who's mythos is the most similar to Elder Scrolls, at least when it comes to fantasy series (and Doctor Who is a fantasy series, ohoho yes).

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #53952 on: July 13, 2014, 03:20:56 pm »

all this shit just makes me want to go to my peaceful animucon in a foreign land because nobody hosts them here where the worst you'll see is a greasy man with a neckbeard browsing through an aspiring drawsmith's desk of dicks and asking you for opinion on them

in a shameful display, it's still several months before it happens and i will probably not attend this year
I am intrigued. Do tell more.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53953 on: July 13, 2014, 03:22:38 pm »

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
You're supposed to capitalize that.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ CAPITALIZE YOUR DONGERS ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53954 on: July 13, 2014, 03:24:52 pm »

I've spent way more time than I should have reading about this...

The Dashcon thing is the worst managed convention I've ever heard of. And that has some serious contention.

There's a huge eye melting pair of posts that go into the origins and "organisational structure" (to use the term very loosely) of the con. They basically had little to no organisation, no effective central leadership or decision making, used completely random volunteers as parts of committees with no defined goals, failed to share information and didn't seem to have clear answers to any questions posed by those committees, and then you mix in all the usual drama of tumblr fandoms (seriously, it's not the social justice stuff that's the weirdest parts of tumblr, it's its place as the new Liverjournal, now with more gifs and easier to find shit that you find enraging and must rant about).

That seems to have been reflected in the con itself. There are some questions over whether they were legally registered as a company in the state it took part in, and whether that would make the con as a whole illegal or not. There have been claims that security was lax to non-existent (significantly claims that age restricted panels were laxly policed).

The big money thing seems to have come from their not coordinating well with the hotel. I don't think the hotel was at any time told what they were there for. That lead to them demanding the balance of payment on the first day rather than at the end of the con, making them pay up $20k out of pocket. The organisors only had $3k on hand, so they had to hold a fundraiser to get the other $17k.

It sounds like Night Vale was a similar problem, although that's murkier. The claim is that they demanded money up front and wouldn't wait for either of the payment options offered, although that doesn't sound especially likely given the circumstances. Similarly a lot of invited guests found their hotel rooms were not paid for, although these are being reversed (if I had to guess, they probably diverted the funds to the hotel's demands and paid back with the funds originally expected to pay for the hotel from the second/third day stuff).

Most of the rest was just a matter of having no funds and no real organisational force behind it. Given the way the 'committees' worked it's hardly a surprise that guests didn't turn up and that there were no real resources. For a convention with literally zero organisational background, it was... still a complete fuckup but only of questionable legality? So could have been worse? Maybe?

I do believe (some) people enjoyed themselves. People have a tendency to do that. Strange as the thought may be.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 03:43:07 pm by palsch »
Pages: 1 ... 3595 3596 [3597] 3598 3599 ... 11037