Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3592 3593 [3594] 3595 3596 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14476912 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #53895 on: July 12, 2014, 11:59:51 pm »

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
You're supposed to capitalize that.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #53896 on: July 13, 2014, 12:11:28 am »

The entire S.T.A.L.K.E.R series is basically that, except instead of it being fantasy, it's all about Chernobyl turning everything in the surrounding area into monsters.
Again, close but no cigar. S.T.A.L.K.E.R has too much civilization, and besides, I want the Deathland to be more of an area in a larger world. Not just a high-level zone, but a constant hell that even the most powerful characters (or groups thereof) are essentially on a time limit after entering. The actual high-level zone would be the End Of The Line, the last permanent settlement connected to anything before it goes totally savage.
Complete with atmospheric conditions; possibly with a transition gradient around the edges, but generally contained via some sort of magics. It might actually work out well if you have players who tend to go nuts with minmaxing their abilities/equipment/possessions. Sail a galleon beyond the (literal) edges of the earth, then unload their magical moving habitat for Mars exploration...
That doesn't work because there's nothing much out there but raw resources and terrible quality living space. There has to be a very good reason for diving into these suicidal places. Things you aren't going to easily get otherwise. One thought I've had is the ruins of a Sufficiently Advanced civilization that went too far and suffered a total but mostly contained collapse. Most of what they made is incomprehensible, some of it is valuable, a lot of it will try to kill you, a few scant things are all three.
Funny this topic comes up-- for a long while, I've wanted a fantasy story set in a world sorta like mythical Greece blended with mid-to-late 20th century fantasy to create a setting so stereotypical that it's somehow more interesting.

I've actually been working on a concept and story, surrounding a typical hacky-slashy adventurer wielding a broadsword named Badna, called "the Dragon of the North", but I'm torn between a graphic novel and traditional tale. I can't draw people well at all in close-ups, but a book seems less evocative.

Aha! A comprise: traditional book, but with small illustrations (e.g. 8th-page size images of locations or monsters or sword-swinging) every once in a while.

Sorry for the derail.

As for your, erm, "apocalypse zone" setting, the Sufficiently Advanced civilization idea is the easiest and best to go with, but is also overdone. You could go with it, but you'll need something to set yourself apart from the crowd. You could keep the origin a secret until late game, like Zelda: Wind Waker's deal, or you could go invent signature monsters or races, like countless other fantasy settings (the lava dudes, "tz'haar" or whatever they were called from Runescape and the multitude of exclusive D&D monsters come to mind.) Alternatively, you could have a sort of god-born cataclysm or perhaps just natural conditions (i.e. evolutionary "eat or be eaten" in overdrive, depending on magic levels perhaps a "well of evil") causing a deathzone; you could have a mountain range or ocean separating it from the rest of the world, or have the inhabitants thrive on something only found there. Natural resources could range from mythical ores or stones or wood to a joke where a real material like iron, gold, or perhaps copper is found only there.

[TWO CENTS DISENGAGED]
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #53897 on: July 13, 2014, 12:27:00 am »

Apocalypse zone $0.02: Dark Sun always kinda' enthralled me, and handled the cause fairly well, imo. Much of that fascination was probably because of the existence of fairly badass cannibal halflings/elves and the pretty awesome computer games from way back when, but whatev'. I liked it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53898 on: July 13, 2014, 12:28:05 am »

Apocalypse zone $0.02: Dark Sun always kinda' enthralled me, and handled the cause fairly well, imo. Much of that fascination was probably because of the existence of fairly badass cannibal halflings/elves and the pretty awesome computer games from way back when, but whatev'. I liked it.
Seconded. I was actually going to suggest Dark Sun.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #53899 on: July 13, 2014, 12:58:29 am »

Dark Sun has certainly been in consideration before, but I don't think the Post-Sufficiently Advanced deathzone is overdone. I can't think of many examples in media of a Third Law civilization suddenly imploding, leaving the rest to wonder what exactly happened to them. It's not a precursor thing, especially not if they previously existed in tandem with the rest.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53900 on: July 13, 2014, 01:07:41 am »

Didn't Elderscrolls do something like that? The dwarvesthatlooklikeelves up and vanished suddenly, there was a lot of worldbuilding around them in Morrowind if I recall.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #53901 on: July 13, 2014, 01:09:17 am »

Didn't Elderscrolls do something like that? The dwarvesthatlooklikeelves up and vanished suddenly, there was a lot of worldbuilding around them in Morrowind if I recall.

Elvesthatlooklikedwarves, not the other way around. They were the Dwemer, deep elves. Yeah, Morrowind pretty much outright explained what happened to them and some of the stuff they had (weird divine shit).

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #53902 on: July 13, 2014, 01:10:43 am »

The Dwemer get some elements of what I'm looking for, that being the mysterious cataclysm and dangerous aftermath with valuable artifacts unavailable elsewhere, but Dwemer ruins aren't quite dangerous enough, and are just dungeons.

For the record, I subscribe to the hypothesis that the Dwemer were collectively unmade due to making what amounted to an Elder Scroll barcode reader. Don't fuck around with Elder Scrolls.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #53903 on: July 13, 2014, 01:11:28 am »

It's probably better to pay absolutely no attention to TES lore, though. It's bughumping insane, more or less, from everything I've picked up from people (like putnam, hello putnam, TES signal flashed again, huh) talking about it. It's kinda' interesting until you actually start getting a picture of what's going on, at which point you realize the creators were just incredibly intoxicated.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #53904 on: July 13, 2014, 01:13:43 am »

The Dwemer get some elements of what I'm looking for, that being the mysterious cataclysm and dangerous aftermath with valuable artifacts unavailable elsewhere, but Dwemer ruins aren't quite dangerous enough, and are just dungeons.

For the record, I subscribe to the hypothesis that the Dwemer were collectively unmade due to making what amounted to an Elder Scroll barcode reader. Don't fuck around with Elder Scrolls.

It was all but explicitly said in Morrowind that they became the skin of the Numidium. Morrowind only said explicitly that the Dwemer happened to all disappear at the exact moment that Kagrenac used his Tools to activate the Numidium, so that's the obvious connection.

The Elder Scroll reader is cool, but those things make you unexist at worst, and even that is more a side-effect than anything intentional (I.E it tells you about CHIM but you ain't ready for CHIM, which makes you zero-sum).

It's probably better to pay absolutely no attention to TES lore, though. It's bughumping insane, more or less, from everything I've picked up from people (like putnam, hello putnam, TES signal flashed again, huh) talking about it. It's kinda' interesting until you actually start getting a picture of what's going on, at which point you realize the creators were just incredibly intoxicated.

wait lemme go tell MK about that

seriously though intoxicated lore isn't that bad, though ES lore certainly isn't that.

EDIT: the "lemme tell MK" is because it's funny (the statement of drunkenness), not any stupid internet tough guy stuff, since I just realized it could be interpreted that way

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #53905 on: July 13, 2014, 01:15:28 am »

The Elder Scroll reader is cool, but those things make you unexist at worst, and even that is more a side-effect than anything intentional (I.E it tells you about CHIM but you ain't ready for CHIM, which makes you zero-sum).
Oh christ, here we go.
No Gods, No Masters.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #53906 on: July 13, 2014, 01:16:50 am »

The CHIM stuff ain't really related, though, and it's not what the Dwemer is about and people should really stop freaking out about it because it's not that important unless you're talking about Talos or Vivec.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53907 on: July 13, 2014, 03:37:26 am »

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #53908 on: July 13, 2014, 03:39:24 am »

Excuse me, but it's Poland, not Polan.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #53909 on: July 13, 2014, 03:44:17 am »

I like TES lore because it's so different from basically every other fantasy game ever.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 3592 3593 [3594] 3595 3596 ... 11037