Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3588 3589 [3590] 3591 3592 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14474738 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #53835 on: July 12, 2014, 05:24:33 pm »

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53836 on: July 12, 2014, 05:26:28 pm »

I arrived in Boston and discovered that my relatives are really great chill people except that they are like the embodiment of stereotypical East Coast liberals who want to be sophisticated Europeans. I never thought I would find so much tea, fresh food, and soccer fanaticism in one beautiful but disproportionately small house.
Sounds like they're emulating working class Europeans though
So if upper-middle-class Americans try to emulate working-class Europeans, do upper-middle-class Europeans try to emulate American white trash?

I can just imagine Swedish guys in dress clothes eating fried chicken and watching NASCAR.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53837 on: July 12, 2014, 05:30:39 pm »

Her music might be horrible
except it really isn't?
But it is!

Now, I know that tastes are subjective and all that, but this music is objectively horrible.

No

like, if that's objectively horrible, what does that make this very similar pop tripe?
Yeah, I'm not even a huge fan of modern pop but the reason I don't like it isn't because it's modern, but because of the concurrent phases of wealthy white people failing to pretend to be urban blacks, and the electronic (especially dubstep) influences. But both of those are just irritating phases, as was the "love and harmony" hippyism of the sixties and seventies.

One of the most questionable claims of people who say music from the past was objectively better is that modern artists are so egotistic. Yes, Kanye West thinks he is a god, but John Lennon said the Beatles were bigger than Jesus. It's not a new thing.

EDIT: And sorry for not editing my old post. I honestly thought someone else was gonna post something in the time it would take me to write this.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #53838 on: July 12, 2014, 05:34:26 pm »

So if upper-middle-class Americans try to emulate working-class Europeans, do upper-middle-class Europeans try to emulate American white trash?
I can just imagine Swedish guys in dress clothes eating fried chicken and watching NASCAR.
They emulate one of the other wrong American trashes:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53839 on: July 12, 2014, 05:36:49 pm »

There's a difference between British and European, though; Americans usually say "European" as shorthand for "continental (Western) European". British is like halfway between American and European, and Canadian is halfway between American and British, or a quarter of the way between American and European.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53840 on: July 12, 2014, 05:37:01 pm »

Ugh.
Geordies.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53841 on: July 12, 2014, 05:38:23 pm »

Ugh.
Geordies.
Guidos?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53842 on: July 12, 2014, 05:41:27 pm »

I think that Jersey Shore singlehandedly set off a minor resurgence of anti-Italian sentiment in the US.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #53843 on: July 12, 2014, 05:45:26 pm »

There's a difference between British and European, though; Americans usually say "European" as shorthand for "continental (Western) European". British is like halfway between American and European, and Canadian is halfway between American and British, or a quarter of the way between American and European.
NO ONE IS SAFE
EVERYONE MATERIAL WORLD

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53844 on: July 12, 2014, 05:47:14 pm »

NO ONE IS SAFE
EVERYONE MATERIAL WORLD
Dear God, even the French are doing it.

#mesyeux #pourquoidieu
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 06:02:49 pm by SealyStar »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53845 on: July 12, 2014, 05:55:18 pm »

NO ONE IS SAFE
EVERYONE MATERIAL WORLD
Dear God, even the French are doing it.
My eyes started tearing.

Like, they literally tore themselves apart when I looked at the image.

Now I can't see what I'm typing.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #53846 on: July 12, 2014, 06:03:42 pm »

I found an RCA-VGA adapter for 20 fucking euros. Say what? I could buy one for a like 5-6 dollars in the US!

But what really takes the cake are these male-male RCA-audio plugs. The manufacturer sells them for €7.30.

The online retailer I frequent is selling them for €368.90! And it's not the first time, either.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #53847 on: July 12, 2014, 06:11:20 pm »

Of course, the amazing thing is that someone, somewhere, is actually buying enough of those things, at that price, that they're able to do that and not completely lose market. Somehow.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53848 on: July 12, 2014, 06:30:30 pm »

That... that's an absurdly quick price increase for that kind of thing.

Usually when you get that sort of price spike it's a matter of a circular price comparison algorithm. You have a lot of products which are priced in comparison to another similar item. For example, item A (which is meant to be fancy) is priced at a 20% mark up on item B (which is meant to be basic). But the seller of item B has decided to set it at 90% of the price of item A. So they each set a base price and then let the algorithm cycle once a day (or however often), with each cycle raising the price of each. And eventually they hit the thousands or even millions of dollars till someone notices.

Alternatively they are audiophile traps. As with the $1000 HDMI cables. Specific example because I nearly got in a fight with members of my family buying a $5 Walmart HDMI rather than the $25 brand name version.

Erm, only showing one in stock. Maybe this is their way of holding it back for one of their staff members?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #53849 on: July 12, 2014, 06:31:27 pm »

My eyes started tearing.

Like, they literally tore themselves apart when I looked at the image.

Now I can't see what I'm typing.
The future is so bright you don't even need Geordies to see it
Pages: 1 ... 3588 3589 [3590] 3591 3592 ... 11037