Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3569 3570 [3571] 3572 3573 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14441475 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #53550 on: July 08, 2014, 11:36:29 pm »

Ok I am just going to ask this.

Have you ever seen a racist characterature that sort of went right by your racism filter because it is so far removed from anything even remotely parody now a days that it somehow becomes less racist in your mind? I mean you KNOW what you are seeing is wrong, but it just gets by your defenses because it is just so far removed from reality, even in an exaggerated form.

I was watching Breakfast at Tiffanies and their incredibly racist character with his buck teeth, thick glasses, and bulging slanted eyes was supposed to be terrible... But I never associate the Japanese with large teeth or thick glasses hiding bulging eyes (as well his accent is unintelligible).

But I know WHY this is... the Buck Teeth stereotype doesn't come from anywhere in real life to my knowledge. It was just invented during WW2 propaganda.

A racist stereotype today would be like Raj from Big Bang Theory (Though that show is a parade of sexism, racism, prejudice anyhow)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #53551 on: July 08, 2014, 11:41:06 pm »

Mickey Rooney's character in that was racist as SHIT, yeah, infamously so.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53552 on: July 08, 2014, 11:43:06 pm »

Mickey Rooney's character in that was racist as SHIT, yeah, infamously so.

Yeah don't get me wrong. I know that, everyone knows that.

But if you were to make a racist stereotype of a Japanese person today... would it look anything like that? I mean MAYBE if you were just defaulting to WW2 propaganda...

It doesn't make it less racist, but it removes my reflex. It wouldn't be less racist today, but it would be unheard of today.

Mind you I am very sheltered. I didn't even see the stereotypical Japanese racist stereotypes until I was well into my teens.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 11:51:00 pm by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #53553 on: July 09, 2014, 12:05:21 am »

Honestly, today... yeah, maybe. The slant eyes would be normal for asiatics, and the buck teeth is standard xenophobia drivel -- patterning the target after animals, especially vermin (rats, in this case). Thick glasses would be an anti-intellect thing -- even today I've heard the stereotype of asian folks being "good at math" pretty regularly.

So, no, I'm not sure it would be unheard of in the modern era. Fairly sure that sort of stereotype could show up in a metaphorical vacuum, regardless of the propaganda push of yesteryear.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #53554 on: July 09, 2014, 12:58:13 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I honestly can't believe I was dumb enough to join an internet argument about Israel, so I'm going to try to wind down now.  You're being civil, which I respect.  And most of what you have said I would agree with, I would just add other negative things because I have a lot of sympathy towards the Palestinians.

The invasive checkpoints are based on a few videos and some general things that I've heard.  Part of the reason I said that was because of a recent case where some Palestinians tried to get the Israeli team kicked out of the World Cup after two football players were shot in the feet at a checkpoint.  The grounds being Israel had an unfair advantage because they could prevent the Palestinians from training.  But yes, my evidence here is anecdotes, I accept that.

If it seems like I have strong feelings about this for a foreigner, its because most Americans know nothing about the conflict even though our country contributes to it.  And they take the Israeli side without understanding anything except that the Arab terrorists attack Israel and want to destroy them.  Which is true in some cases but such a limited view.  Its funny you should mention the media because American news has nothing of substance to say about the conflict.  Most of the stuff I said in my post I got from other sources.

I'm interested in what you have to say, talking to a legit member of the IDF could be enlightening.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #53555 on: July 09, 2014, 03:54:24 am »

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53556 on: July 09, 2014, 03:59:58 am »

What are the UN mandated borders of Israel, anyway? /Flamebait
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #53557 on: July 09, 2014, 04:00:36 am »

Wow, now Imperial Guardsman got banned too.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #53558 on: July 09, 2014, 04:05:31 am »

Wait, what? When did this happen?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #53559 on: July 09, 2014, 04:17:26 am »

Wait, what? When did this happen?

Check the sad thread, apparently some shit went down.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #53560 on: July 09, 2014, 07:16:36 am »

Even today I've heard the stereotype of asian folks being "good at math" pretty regularly.
Just saying, foreign orientals: Damn good at maths when they go to school, excluding mainland and south / southeast where besides Singapore it's meh

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53561 on: July 09, 2014, 07:44:17 am »

sometimes i think to myself

is this what the gods wanted?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #53562 on: July 09, 2014, 08:20:36 am »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #53564 on: July 09, 2014, 12:23:59 pm »

that was fascinating
Pages: 1 ... 3569 3570 [3571] 3572 3573 ... 11040