Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3530 3531 [3532] 3533 3534 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14458234 times)

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #52965 on: July 02, 2014, 01:58:24 pm »

Two questions:
1) Should e-sports be treated differently than regular sports?
2) Should the gender division in other sports be abolished?
Yes
Yes
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52966 on: July 02, 2014, 02:08:40 pm »

I for one support the idea of minimal legislation in sports. I want to see boxers injected with so many steroids they can punch through time. I want to see sprinters with extra limbs added to them by medical intervention literally tearing up the track like QWOP on LSD. I want to see genetically engineered basketball players that ate basically a 12 ft tangle of limbs dunking from half court. I want to see rugby players that are on so many growth hormones they are basically wedges of muscle and fat with hands slamming each other through the air. Football goalkeepers bred to be 13 ft by 8 ft rectangles of flesh, pummelled by shots from strikers that are little more than a giant leg. Golfers with pneumatically driven limbs to drive the ball past the sound barrier on golf courses the size of small nations. Come on, it would be glorious.
This is a blank sig.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #52967 on: July 02, 2014, 02:16:38 pm »

i am convinced

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #52968 on: July 02, 2014, 02:18:31 pm »

Paralympic games.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #52969 on: July 02, 2014, 02:28:22 pm »

Two but maybe just one question(s):
Yes
That's just unfair for female athletes.

Oh wait, there won't be any female athletes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52970 on: July 02, 2014, 02:32:16 pm »

Two but maybe just one question(s):
Yes
That's just unfair for female athletes.

Oh wait, there won't be any female athletes.

This is unfortunately pretty accurate.

I like fiction because it can have female characters compete on equal ground to the male ones.

In the sports world though... I am reminded this quote from a sketch
"[speaking of Basketball] Put the worst men's team against the best women's team and the men would trounce them every time" (the actual skit is hilarious)

Which is... unfortunately true. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of female players being able to compete in the male leagues... but not vise versa.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #52971 on: July 02, 2014, 02:34:04 pm »

Yep. Female vs female and male vs male keeps things fair. It makes sure one side doesn't have an unfair advantage.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52972 on: July 02, 2014, 02:43:11 pm »

Absurdly they used chess as one of their comparisons.

Chess is not segregated. Anyone can enter the main tournaments. The same goes for poker, which is the most directly comparable major game I can think of.

They have some side tournaments for women only as a recruiting tool or to create a more comfortable environment for newer female players, which seems a pretty good idea for many eSports as well, but a lot of those are only segregated on the honour system or using unofficial methods (the WSOP charges a $10,000 entry fee, but women get a 90% discount using Nevada law designed for 'lady's nights' promotions at bars).

Notably many major sports aren't officially segregated either, with most major American sports not having any official restrictions on women playing in the men's leagues. There has been at least one woman in the NBA, a number of women in various professional baseball leagues and plenty of women in the various college/NCAA sports (yes, including football). There are separate women's leagues that are segregated, but the major leagues are not officially segregated.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52973 on: July 02, 2014, 02:46:29 pm »

The audiences for women's football is much smaller than that of men's.
Luckily FIFA already has come up with a plan to fix this.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52974 on: July 02, 2014, 02:47:07 pm »

Yeah, the point isn't to force all female players into mens' leagues. It's to basically let the odd woman who is physically strong enough to do so. It's silly to pretend sexual dimorphism isn't a thing, but it's also silly to pretend it's an absolute "all women are weak and all men are strong" thing.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52975 on: July 02, 2014, 02:51:21 pm »

Yeah, the point isn't to force all female players into mens' leagues. It's to basically let the odd woman who is physically strong enough to do so. It's silly to pretend sexual dimorphism isn't a thing, but it's also silly to pretend it's an absolute "all women are weak and all men are strong" thing.

I remember when a woman complained that she wasn't allowed to go for the Men's league in Tennis. So after getting enough support they let her, and she lost all 100 of her games.

My opinion on that was... It was nice that they gave her a chance at least.

It's silly to pretend sexual dimorphism isn't a thing, but it's also silly to pretend it's an absolute "all women are weak and all men are strong" thing.

Yeah but we aren't talking about Women versus the everyman. We are mostly talking about top tier women athletes versus top tier male athletes.

It is why they rarely get in. Though I can think of a few female hockey players who managed to get into the male leagues.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 02:52:53 pm by Neonivek »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52976 on: July 02, 2014, 02:56:06 pm »

*facepalm*

It... unfortunately... works to some extent.

Also person who made the suggestion to put women in skimpy outfits for soccor. I should state that not only do some people protest the outfits for volleyball (and it isn't required) but to my knowledge the ONLY reason why women still wear it for beach volleyball is because the more skin the better you play (to my knowledge). I don't think Hot pants give anyone an appreciable advantage in football or else men would already be wearing the hottest pants around.

Of course I am being a bit overly civil given that he is essentially saying that women's sports is so unpopular that they should put women in exploitive clothing in order to get viewers. Which could have been a funny albeit off joke IF women didn't have enough problems trying to get taken seriously in sports.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 03:04:16 pm by Neonivek »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52977 on: July 02, 2014, 03:03:21 pm »

*facepalm*

It... unfortunately... works to some extent.

Also person who made the suggestion to put women in skimpy outfits for soccor. I should state that not only do some people protest the outfits for volleyball (and it isn't required) but to my knowledge the ONLY reason why women still wear it for beach volleyball is because the more skin the better you play (to my knowledge). I don't think Hot pants give anyone an appreciable advantage in football or else men would already be wearing the hottest pants around.
Well, the proposal got turned down angrily (the article is already 10 years old), but that the (still current) chief of the world football association made such a proposal is saying something.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52978 on: July 02, 2014, 03:04:50 pm »

Wait it wasn't a joke? it was an honest proposal?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52979 on: July 02, 2014, 03:10:20 pm »

Wait it wasn't a joke? it was an honest proposal?
Of course it was an honest proposal. That's Sepp Blatter and FIFA for you. Everything you need to know about FIFA, the hotpants get an honorable mention too.
Pages: 1 ... 3530 3531 [3532] 3533 3534 ... 11040