Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3525 3526 [3527] 3528 3529 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14454905 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #52890 on: July 01, 2014, 03:52:11 pm »

I still think the EU should be reformed into the new Roman Empire, whereupon a wise new philosopher King shall rule with effective brutality against great powers that seek to distract individuals from their own betterment of the mind.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #52891 on: July 01, 2014, 04:18:50 pm »

What do you expect from... things concerned with profits, profits and more profits?

Morality and fairness are the last things on their agenda. If they could, they'd probably sacrifice half the world if it meant they'd sextuple their profits.

If only the local and state governments had bent over backwards to help Walgreens the struggling company

All of those D's are dividend payments. The company isn't having a problem making money.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 04:24:50 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #52892 on: July 01, 2014, 04:25:45 pm »

It's like a penis.

Up is good.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #52893 on: July 01, 2014, 04:26:00 pm »

Probably helps to understand the company's financial position before positing 'What do you expect from... things concerned with profits, profits and more profits?

Morality and fairness are the last things on their agenda. If they could, they'd probably sacrifice half the world if it meant they'd sextuple their profits.'

I'll also hint that companies which are having issues with profitability don't pay dividends for a quarter of a century, increasing them every year.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #52894 on: July 01, 2014, 04:27:01 pm »

Ah.

Don't companies HAVE to pay dividends proportional to their profit?

Nope. REITs are the only type of public company that needs to do that, afaik. You can also infer that the majority holders in WAG are probably the same people who've owned it the whole time. I don't think they're strapped for cash.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #52895 on: July 01, 2014, 04:32:48 pm »

A dividend is a payment per share. It takes from company's underlying profitability. If walgreens was struggling for profitability, the first thing you cut in that situation is a dividend. Not run to a foreign company, buy it, and do a scammy reverse merger. After begging the local and state government for handout after handout.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52896 on: July 01, 2014, 04:42:48 pm »

So they are doing perfectly fine and have basically gone off because they're no longer getting money from the government of the USA?
More precisely, because they can further increase their profitability by doing so. The key to understanding capitalism and corporate business is discarding all notions of ethics, fairness, common sense, long-term planning, &c. in favor of single-minded pursuit of increased short-term profits.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #52897 on: July 01, 2014, 04:46:26 pm »

I just explained, pretty clearly, how they could increase profits. If walgreens was worried about profits so badly, they could eliminate their dividend. Real companies do not backdoor the governments for extra tax breaks then immediately reverse merge into a shell foreign company once the handouts stop coming in new flavors. They currently have benefits, tax breaks, reinbursements up the wazoo. It's a joke. It's biting the hand that feeds. They will retain their local benefits and have an overall lower tax rate despite the fact that there is an unspoken agreement between governments who give such tax breaks and companies that accept and lobby for them.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 04:48:14 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52898 on: July 01, 2014, 04:48:51 pm »

While not usually for increased federalisation of EU, common financial policies to stop this kind of thing from happening would be one of the greatest things that could happen in EU. So I doubt it ever will. Rest of the world, even less chance for that.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #52899 on: July 01, 2014, 04:49:28 pm »

That's a completely different aspect of corporate governance. Profitability leads to increased share price. Dividends are a sweetener, aka a way to get people to buy the security instead of bonds.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52900 on: July 01, 2014, 05:22:56 pm »

I'm going to be cross-training starting tomorrow, apparently. I'm not sure how it will go.

Also, no-one's analogies or sayings seem to make sense lately. Then again, no-one ever seems to make much sense when they talk to me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #52901 on: July 01, 2014, 06:02:27 pm »

Playing Counter-Strike: Source. It's like a window back into 2005. Bad sprays, prepubescent children asking how to play, outdated internet lingo, it's truly bizarre.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52902 on: July 01, 2014, 06:23:00 pm »

Playing Counter-Strike: Source. It's like a window back into 2005. Bad sprays, prepubescent children asking how to play, outdated internet lingo, it's truly bizarre.

Valve just recorded the behavior of average players about ten years ago and only now do they have the technology to emulate it using AI. All those servers are just fake.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #52903 on: July 01, 2014, 07:05:48 pm »

WELCOME TO THE US, TAXES BREAKS ARE SO HIGH THAT THE CORPORATIONS ARE GETTING PAID TAX DOLLARS TO MAKE PROFIT!

Try the meatloaf. It's pretty good.
FTFY. Well, to be fair, I think it was only a handful that had a functionally negative tax rate, but eh.

Also the stuff that mict said. Good job, mict. I present to you the mystical internet cookie:
Spoiler: cookie (click to show/hide)
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52904 on: July 01, 2014, 07:14:46 pm »

Eww hotmail flavor.   Pawning off the ones nobody likes eh?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 3525 3526 [3527] 3528 3529 ... 11040