Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3469 3470 [3471] 3472 3473 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14445683 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #52050 on: June 19, 2014, 10:56:20 pm »

Oh come on guys, I wasn't even being serious about dumping them into a volcano.
Yeah, but that's significantly more impractical than the ocean-dumping.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52051 on: June 19, 2014, 10:56:43 pm »

Wouldn't the heat of... molten rock... denature the chemicals? :v Make them no more dangerous than the other molten rocks?

... Granted, I don't think breathing in magma is a *GREAT IDEA* but still.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #52052 on: June 19, 2014, 10:58:49 pm »

Y'know, if we had good space travel technology, we could dump waste into black holes.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52053 on: June 19, 2014, 11:00:01 pm »

We need to expend funding to the cultivation of mad scientist laboratories. They'd be all over hazardous materials like the extra arms and eyes they'd grow on test subjects.

If they build their laboratories in the volcanos, hey, two ethically questionable birds with one glowing stone.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52054 on: June 19, 2014, 11:01:00 pm »

Probably, assuming they don't stay intact as a vapor. Though the stuff that they break down into could be just as noxious.

Y'know, if we had good space travel technology, we could dump waste into black holes.

Or the sun, or any of the gas giants, assuming there isn't some form of life in the atmosphere of the gas giants.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #52055 on: June 19, 2014, 11:01:50 pm »

It would be difficult for the garbage guys to avoid being sucked in. Unless they had some kind of waste launcher. An interstellar poo cannon!
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #52056 on: June 19, 2014, 11:03:32 pm »

There's no good excuse not to have a cannon able to launch our poo away from the spaceship. Except conserving organic matter/water.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52057 on: June 19, 2014, 11:09:21 pm »

for a sufficiently large amount of biomass you could fire pressurized biomass as an improvised propulsion device

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #52058 on: June 19, 2014, 11:12:08 pm »

for a sufficiently large amount of biomass you could fire pressurized biomass as an improvised propulsion device
Imagine the Star Trek/Wars parodies. "Divert poo to main thrusters! Full speed ahead! Eat shit, pursuers! Literally!"

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #52059 on: June 19, 2014, 11:26:56 pm »

The delta-v required to send waste into black holes would be enough that the fuel required could just as easily be used to convert it all into pure hydrogen.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #52060 on: June 19, 2014, 11:33:05 pm »

We could always feed it to some freaky-cool bacteria or fungus to turn it into a delicious nutrient slurry
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #52061 on: June 19, 2014, 11:34:58 pm »

I've always wondered why we don't look at launching nuclear (or other kinds) waste into the sun. Granted, part of it is that whole "putting radioactive waste on a rocket that we shoot high into the atmosphere and if something goes wrong...."

But if there were a way to safely get into space, it seems like a no-brainer.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52062 on: June 19, 2014, 11:36:11 pm »

because we no longer go to space

thanks obama

and his predecessors

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #52063 on: June 19, 2014, 11:37:14 pm »

I would think that depends on how quickly you need its orbit to decay and how good your aim is, surely? If you were willing to take insane risks,  you could just aim your spacecraft such that jettisoning the waste adjusts your momentum so that the waste is headed directly toward it (by which I mean, its trajectory is such that it's going to enter the event horizon), while your spacecraft slingshots around the offending singularity, subjecting you to only slightly catastrophic tidal forces.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #52064 on: June 19, 2014, 11:42:06 pm »

Presumably because of some silly physics trick nobody knows about.

I would say getting it into orbit around the black hole would be sufficient disposal.
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 ... 3469 3470 [3471] 3472 3473 ... 11040