Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3423 3424 [3425] 3426 3427 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14441656 times)

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #51360 on: June 12, 2014, 02:18:36 pm »

Lesson learned, using a combat boot against a small bug on my wall causes more damage to the wall than the bug. Though the bug is no longer alive. No holes were put in the wall, but paint was scratched.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51361 on: June 12, 2014, 02:19:39 pm »

The best part about Act II Scene II is how it rather stealthily demonstrates how much the two are still kids; it makes an absolute farce of the Petrarchan conceit. Hell, I still have a hard time reading Romeo and Juliet as a tragedy. Most of the play is a comedy, and it's hardly a tragedy in the Aristotelian (i.e. best) meaning of the term, seeing as how Romeo and Juliet die because of the failings of others, rather than a mistake made by one or both of them--they're children put in a bad situation without (and in part because of) the fact that all of their adult authority figures are incompetent, and specifically because that one priest fucks up and doesn't deliver the letter. The conclusion is incredibly bitter and depressing--a misadventure of the worst sort, because the loss causes no substantial good--the blood feud is dead for the time being, but absolutely nothing has been learned. Act V Scene III's:

Mon.        But I can give thee more;
For I will raise her statue in pure gold;   
That while Verona by that name is known.   
There shall no figure at such rate be set   
As that of true and faithful Juliet.   
   Cap.       As rich shall Romeo by his lady lie;
Poor sacrifices of our enmity!

in addition to being a callback to earlier negative symbolism involving gold, is one of the greatest missed points I've ever read.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51362 on: June 12, 2014, 03:21:00 pm »

Went to empty the old grease from the fryolator into one of the drums of the stuff we keep outside. There was a dead, bloated squirrel floating in it. It smelled awful, and certainly not like a deep-fried, bloated squirrel corpse.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #51363 on: June 12, 2014, 03:22:14 pm »

I assume you mean in the drum?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51364 on: June 12, 2014, 03:25:49 pm »

Yes. My day was interesting enough as it is. If it was in the grease that I was transporting outside, it would have been a little too interesting.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #51365 on: June 12, 2014, 03:26:14 pm »

On a positive note: Maybe they're subtly saying 'aim higher [Truean], because this job isn't where you[r potential and skills] might be happy'
Sometimes I wonder if Tiruin lives in the same world as the rest of us :P
* Tiruin stabs Dutchling.
...Then does the same to self.
>_>
Now y'all think I'm not realistic. Woo.
*sigh*
I'm losing faith in you people.
In the best of ways, I guess. But... yeah. Speaking from someone that's been going through business courses for the last bit, and have been talking to a fair number of business owners and high-ish level corporate employees, overqualified usually means one of three things, in practice: One: The person(s) hiring don't want you after their job. Two: They don't want to pay you what your skills are worth. Or Three: They don't expect you'll stick around very long (i.e. they're going to have to spend money on recruitment and training again in the relatively near future). So they don't hire you, because they don't want internal competition, don't want to pay you a fair wage, and don't want someone that can go on to better things (because they will, and that means higher costs for the business). And that's all just... business, barring the first.

The chances of them caring whether you'll be happy at the job is very slim, unless they expect it to impact your performance (which is something employers are paying more attention to, but it's still a very marginal concern compared to stuff like bottom line and personal job security) to a meaningful degree, which... a majority still don't.

World'd be a nicer place if the folks telling people they're overqualified actually thought the person in question would be unhappy on the job, though. It's a good perspective to try to keep and socially propagate around, especially if it were actually backed up by action instead of just empty words. Anyone telling someone they're overqualified should have three other companies on hand to recommend the prospective employee to.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51366 on: June 12, 2014, 03:29:00 pm »

And have them working for the competition?
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #51367 on: June 12, 2014, 03:36:09 pm »

*shrugs* If they're overqualified, they wouldn't be working in the same field if hired to a position they're qualified for, more likely than not. They wouldn't be competition, they'd be a customer. Which is why you want them hired by bloody someone if you're not going to have the gumption to do it yourself. Among any dozen other reasons or options-- send them to partner companies, unrelated fields, whatever. Use it as outreach and bridge building with other companies. There's a lot you can do with something like that.

Besides, if you actually cared about the person working for the competition, you'd hire the buggers and keep that from happening.
Ask not!
Ask!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51368 on: June 12, 2014, 03:37:45 pm »

There's a joke, lol. Business men caring? Pfff. Maybe on the lower rungs. Maybe.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #51369 on: June 12, 2014, 03:48:54 pm »

Kiiinda' missed the meaning of that. Not caring about the person -- caring about the person working for the competition. If you didn't want that to happen, you'd hire them and keep the talent to yourself (or, as I was suggesting, direct them towards a non-competitive business and get some win-win-win going on).

Beyond that, that's more or less what I mean by the whole social propagation thing. I'd say we want ideologies like Tiru's to spread about, infect the heartless bastards that control a lot of business (or at least provide enough social pressure they act like they're infected, which is pretty close to just as much of a win), and get them to start providing more than platitudes. It would be a nice thing. Not exactly anywhere near it in regards to reality, but...
Ask not!
Ask!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #51370 on: June 12, 2014, 03:50:33 pm »

Guys. Intel is bringing about the apocalypse.

http://youtu.be/gpzM6Mask80
See that advert? It's for cloud computing. Not a big deal right? Haha no. You hear the music? Yeah, that's from Portal 2. I can't pin it from the soundtrack but I am absolutely not mistaken.
The cloud computing is a cover for sentient AIs with which they can take over the world and/or do science.

A cloud computing AI you say? That's right.
Daedalus.

People keep forgetting that SHODAN is Google on steroids.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51371 on: June 12, 2014, 03:53:27 pm »

What about Neuromancer?

I've never read the book, but I remember playing an old DOS game called Neuromancer that was heavily inspired if not based on the book.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51372 on: June 12, 2014, 04:20:04 pm »

My neuromancer rating keeps wobbling between Single Minded and Indiscriminate. 's hard to go extreme without selling out your competition, yo.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #51373 on: June 12, 2014, 06:11:37 pm »

Tutoring....

Kid: What... what do you mean 5-X=3?? It's stupid, and it's not even aflickable!"
Me: "Think you mean 'applicable,' dude, I .... It's like find the answer for X; like figure out what X is."
Kid: "X is a fucking letter! And it's a drug and it looks inside of you!"
Me: "What do you mean X looks inside of you?"
Kid: "Rays! X rays!"
Me: "Ok calm down just a...."
Kid: "NO! This is stupid. They wrote the problem wrong! It should be 5-3=X and then it'd be fucking 2!."
Me: "I ... I think you actually got it somehow.
Kid: "What?"
Me: "I think it is 2...."

Kid: "I fucking told you! I'm smarter than these algebra math assholes!"
Me: "See the thing is you need to know that to do this part you subtract 3 from each side, cause later it'll get harder and this is how to do a step in."
Kid: "Fuck it! I got it right, so that's enough!"
Me: "You never figure out why you you got things right, then you won't be able to point out when other people are screwing you over cause they did it wrong."
Kid: "I can still point out when people do shit wrong. They do it all the time!"
Me: "You might not be right when you do it though, plus they're gonna say they didn't screw up and you might have to prove 'em wrong."
Kid: "They still wrote the problem wrong."
Me: "That's how you solve it, by flipping it around in this case kinda. Anyhow, Who's on first?"
Kid: "What?"
Me: "What's on second. You need to know the classics man, and anyhow on to number 8...."

God damn stuck up kid is either playing with me or has dumb luck. Either way meh.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51374 on: June 12, 2014, 06:14:46 pm »

Reminds me of the story I shared here a year or so ago, where both a 7th-grade kid and his mom seemed to think x/1=1/x for all x (the last part's a clarification because back then I got some smart-ass responses about how it's true as long as x=1)

His mom works as a nursing assistant BTW. I hope I never wind up at whatever medical facility she works at, because I don't want to accidentally hyperoverdose on some drug because I got four whatevers instead of 1/4 of a whatever.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 06:16:37 pm by SealyStar »
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.
Pages: 1 ... 3423 3424 [3425] 3426 3427 ... 11040