Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3398 3399 [3400] 3401 3402 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14455862 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #50985 on: June 07, 2014, 05:02:51 pm »

Wait what, really? :(
Could I have a link or somesuch, for when I wake up? Right now I need to sleeeeeeeep.
Even if I've never collected an army of GW figures, that would still make me sad.   
They've gone through suicidal changes to transition from hobby suppliers to luxury salesmen and their stock prices have appropriately tanked to hell as GW looked at rising competitors like mantic games and heard the cries of fatguys, independents and even the dedicated few like mwg who put so much effort into trying to keep GW alive and decided to continue on the course everyone warned them would lead to ruin. They're currently in the process of shutting down hobby stores and closing their german HQ. Free market status = Fixing it. There's only so much you can abuse neet money before they flock away. That applies to all consumers really.
I looked up Mantic Games. Even not really paying attention to hobbyists, those seems bloody cheap, comparatively. Are they any good? I've been thinking of getting into it, but I'd only ever heard of Games Workshop and well... Hah. Hahahahaha. Hah. Good joke.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50986 on: June 07, 2014, 05:10:38 pm »

I think Games Workshop will basically just become the black library: they'll extend the licence for books, games (and maybe a crappy film or two) but the actual miniatures themselves will stop being sold.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #50987 on: June 07, 2014, 05:35:05 pm »

I looked up Mantic Games. Even not really paying attention to hobbyists, those seems bloody cheap, comparatively. Are they any good? I've been thinking of getting into it, but I'd only ever heard of Games Workshop and well... Hah. Hahahahaha. Hah. Good joke.
To gee dubyas credit their quality still remains better than that of mantic's when it's not full of casting defects in the resin or plastic, but then again mantic's miniatures ARE good too (the differences in quality we're talking about is on the scale of eyes in models' faces) getting better and don't actually bankrupt you or take the hobby out of the hobby. I also find it cute that some of the equipment used by the corporate soldiers in mantic's line have copyright symbols on them. That's adorable. JeeUU also have a greater range of miniatures which is nice, if you like having 1001 different space marines because everything else is cheese or crap and always going to cost the soul of your firstborn or equivalent per model.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50988 on: June 07, 2014, 06:07:19 pm »

So when do you guys guess are the 3D blueprints gonna be available online in response to this?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #50989 on: June 07, 2014, 06:20:33 pm »

So when do you guys guess are the 3D blueprints gonna be available online in response to this?
American McGWee keep such a tigbt grip on their IP that they threatened to sue a man for printing models in "their style." So yesterday,  as tight control is no matter for the internet and brave designers. I know a guy who printed a warhound titan in 2012 just to see if it was possible, I'm sure there are thousands more like em who just want to hobby.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50990 on: June 07, 2014, 06:30:17 pm »

I remember hearing the reason the space marines now have such massive pauldrons is that it makes them more distinctive and so GW can copyright and sue people easier if they try to produce miniatures.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50991 on: June 07, 2014, 07:09:24 pm »

The Witcher 3 is the top selling game on Steam right now. That's curious because it's still on preorder - to be released next February. Although I never played the first two, I heard they were good games. I wouldn't doubt the dev's ability to deliver again, but a preorder offer this early scares me a little.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #50992 on: June 07, 2014, 07:37:38 pm »

People pre-order mainstream games easily because if it sucked they still get to whine about it on their blog.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50993 on: June 07, 2014, 07:41:03 pm »

It's only 10% off...? If it was more, I coudl see why, because i's a reasonably safe bet it'll be a decent game. But that's a lot of money to put down on something a very long way away.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #50994 on: June 07, 2014, 07:48:34 pm »

People pre-order mainstream games easily because if it sucked they still get to whine about it on their blog.
Or because it's the marketing strategy of every mainstream game ever; make dollar on the opening week and quit.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #50995 on: June 07, 2014, 08:54:35 pm »

As I've heard it its a mix of fighting used sales (every person who gets hyped into preorders is a person who doesn't have the option of buying used) and getting people to buy games without reading reviews.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50996 on: June 07, 2014, 09:02:08 pm »

GW is probably going to be dead by the end of 2014.
Hell fucking yes. Best business news I've heard in years! There isn't a better thing that could happen to the miniature genre right now than getting those bastards off its back.

I don't know who Mantic are, but I know Privateer Press has been tearing chunks out of them on the play scene in the states lately, which is wonderful to see since the two games they make are just... so much frickin' better, and so much cheaper on top of it.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #50997 on: June 07, 2014, 09:57:17 pm »

Or because it's the marketing strategy of every mainstream game ever; make dollar on the opening week and quit.
Developers/publishers/whatevers like this are the worst.
Worse than companies who make addictive and repetitive MMOs, because they at least try to hold their players' interest.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50998 on: June 07, 2014, 10:55:01 pm »

Just got around to finally renting How to Train Your Dragon.

The first trailer that auto-plays when you put in the disc is for the sequel, and spoils the entire ending of the movie you're about to watch within the first few seconds.

...I lucked out because I skipped to the menu and only went back to watch the trailers after. But.

Why would anybody do this aaaah

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #50999 on: June 07, 2014, 11:27:22 pm »

Developers/publishers/whatevers like this are the worst.
Worse than companies who make addictive and repetitive MMOs, because they at least try to hold their players' interest.
I disagree with you on that.  Preorders haven't caused people to spend all their money or become addicts in a way comparable to drug use.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 3398 3399 [3400] 3401 3402 ... 11040