Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3306 3307 [3308] 3309 3310 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14448296 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #49605 on: May 18, 2014, 07:11:27 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Looks like the artist is going to get smacked over the head with a scroll by the archangel.

Also, the angels are wearing Roman armor because... why exactly?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49606 on: May 18, 2014, 07:15:33 am »

I don't know...

Why are the Angels usually depicted wearing Greek and Roman robes?

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #49607 on: May 18, 2014, 07:28:14 am »

The same reason why Jesus is always portrayed as a white guy?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #49608 on: May 18, 2014, 07:31:04 am »

Ah. Ignorance, then. Makes sense.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49609 on: May 18, 2014, 07:35:29 am »

YouTube seems utterly convinced I want to watch Onision (I think that's who it is anyway. Channel is called 'speaks') as well as the associated gang of dyed-hair-black-wear-it-kind-of-long-and-straggly-make-shitty-jokes-hurhuraren'tIcool channels.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49610 on: May 18, 2014, 07:36:39 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Looks like the artist is going to get smacked over the head with a scroll by the archangel.

Also, the angels are wearing Roman armor because... why exactly?

Generally angels are portrayed in Orthodox iconography wearing robes, as Google Image Search shows us, and not armour.
Archangels, however, do wear armour on Orthodox icons.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 07:38:17 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #49611 on: May 18, 2014, 07:59:17 am »

According to my R.E. teacher, he wasn't white, but he was most likely only brown enough to appear tanned, considering where he came from.

However, being a christian R.E. teacher makes him biased, so I don't know.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #49612 on: May 18, 2014, 08:30:59 am »

Quote from: Red Rogue
Troll caught knife
Rogue caught knife

If you don't know the game, that means that I threw a knife at a troll, which caught it and threw it back, and then I caught it and threw it back again. Ninja duel!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #49613 on: May 18, 2014, 08:37:47 am »

Not really as Egypt today is different to Egypt of 2000 years ago. It really isn't that hard to find images and descriptions of the egyptains, even cleopatra is described as fair [though she appears to be a minority amongst more bronzed fellows who were never quite displaced by nubian or greek immigrants]. The jesus beard seems right, some copper seems amiss on his skin but its a minor cosmetic difference; of his dubious historical accounts nothing suggests he was nubian. Though now that I think about it, half of Jesus's genes are from God so... The muslims at least are practical on not trying too hard to depict their prophets, as it leads one to certain doubts that cosmically miss the point with enough force to break this universe.
Seems surreal using classical history and genetics to talk about social critiques lain at art of religious scenes as depicted through the story of Russian history and the philosophy of Christian Orthodoxy.

In all seriousness, the artist will make Jesus look like their people wherever they are because its more familiar and helps spread the message. One only has to look to remnants of chinese christianity that have survived emperors, khans and chairmen to see Jesus looking decidedly Chinese, and I once brought the Japanese depiction where Jesus had a brother and fled from Jerusalem to Japan to the WTF thread because Christianity is as adaptable as Buddhism in this regards to altering its cosmetic features to settlle in with the locals... But it will stil inspire shock and amusement in those certain of what they take for granted as familiar.

YouTube seems utterly convinced I want to watch Onision (I think that's who it is anyway. Channel is called 'speaks') as well as the associated gang of dyed-hair-black-wear-it-kind-of-long-and-straggly-make-shitty-jokes-hurhuraren'tIcool channels.
Onision is one amongst genuinely morally reprehensible  people. We're talking things like faking suicidal intentions to his 'emotional trainwrecking' for money by exploiting the emotional trainwreck of his gf (who may or may not be in on it, I forgot). He also uses his force of fangirls to wreck critics, which seems saintly to his normal behaviour.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49614 on: May 18, 2014, 08:39:53 am »

Onision is one amongst genuinely morally reprehensible  people. We're talking things like faking suicidal intentions to his 'emotional trainwrecking' for money by exploiting the emotional trainwreck of his gf (who may or may not be in on it, I forgot). He also uses his force of fangirls to wreck critics, which seems saintly to his normal behaviour.
Oh yeah, I know. If you go to suggested videos and downvote them does it make them more or less likely to show up again?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49615 on: May 18, 2014, 08:40:29 am »

According to my R.E. teacher, he wasn't white, but he was most likely only brown enough to appear tanned, considering where he came from.

Well, he certainly wasn't black either - so some shade of brown. And looking at modern Jews (under the assumption that their gene pool has remained relatively undiluted in the past ~2000 years) I'd say 'light brown' is a safe guess.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49616 on: May 18, 2014, 08:42:57 am »

Well, he certainly wasn't black either - so some shade of brown. And looking at modern Jews (under the assumption that their gene pool has remained relatively undiluted in the past ~2000 years) I'd say 'light brown' is a safe guess.
Can we at least throw Blonde Jesus out of the window?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #49617 on: May 18, 2014, 08:46:26 am »

lolololololololo

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #49618 on: May 18, 2014, 08:48:24 am »

Can we at least throw Blonde Jesus out of the window?

Most depictions of Jesus show him with brown hair, though?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #49619 on: May 18, 2014, 08:49:28 am »

-snip-

Most depictions of Jesus show him with brown hair, though?

Keyword being 'most'.
Pages: 1 ... 3306 3307 [3308] 3309 3310 ... 11040