Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3293 3294 [3295] 3296 3297 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14460610 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #49410 on: May 15, 2014, 01:17:31 am »

Wait, photons gave mass now?

I'm betting the FSM just alter the properties of photons annually to mess with our heads.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49411 on: May 15, 2014, 01:26:05 am »

What? Light behaves like waves and particles. Not "rays", what does it even mean to behave like a ray? It's like behaving like a plus-sign, it doesn't mean anything, a ray is just notation. It just means "light is propagating in this direction". That's not special, a wave can be in a ray just as much as a particle can :v
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 01:28:06 am by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #49412 on: May 15, 2014, 01:45:01 am »

Photons do not have mass. If they did, pretty much all of physics would be completely and utterly broken and useless in general, which observations say is most likely not true.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49413 on: May 15, 2014, 02:06:20 am »

so in other news i'm strangely gen-ergetic today and just now i became nervous ??

what the fuck is going on

is this the famous anxiety i heard so much about

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #49414 on: May 15, 2014, 02:42:27 am »

photons are expected to have mass because they develop non-zero mass when inside superconductors

it's just that it's so ridiculously tiny that people are putting its upper limit below the higgs boson threshold
Well, they definitely have momentum.  I never heard that they had mass, though.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #49415 on: May 15, 2014, 02:55:35 am »

Momentum doesn't require mass. (I don't know how that work, but it just does)
Not saying that you implied that, though.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #49416 on: May 15, 2014, 03:12:01 am »

Momentum doesn't require mass. (I don't know how that work, but it just does)

The same way neutrinos don't interact electromagnetically. It's an observed property of the universe (in fact, this observation won the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1927). Deal with it :I

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49417 on: May 15, 2014, 03:14:05 am »

And for all we know that could be totally wrong. Wouldn't be the first time something we considered we know about the workings of the universe turned out to be wrong.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #49418 on: May 15, 2014, 03:30:26 am »

I decided to try out DarkDXZ's beloved Krita, and upon seeing the interface realised I've been using GIMP for something close to a decade. Good grief.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #49419 on: May 15, 2014, 03:46:34 am »

I guess a summary of microphysics would be "none of your formulas work. Leave them at the door."

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49420 on: May 15, 2014, 06:14:58 am »

I decided to try out DarkDXZ's beloved Krita, and upon seeing the interface realised I've been using GIMP for something close to a decade. Good grief.
I don't understand what is WTF. You forgot how long you've been using GIMP or something about what Krita's interface looks like? I mean, it just kind of looks like Photoshop to me.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #49421 on: May 15, 2014, 06:20:19 am »

I didn't realise how long I'd been using GIMP for. I've never used anything  else, either, so Krita's interface looked totally alien to me, which made me think, and then I realised I'd been using GIMP for aages. Like, I remember when GIMP 2.0 was a big thing.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #49422 on: May 15, 2014, 06:30:57 am »

I didn't realise how long I'd been using GIMP for. I've never used anything  else, either, so Krita's interface looked totally alien to me, which made me think, and then I realised I'd been using GIMP for aages. Like, I remember when GIMP 2.0 was a big thing.
*high-five*
GIMP buddies!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #49423 on: May 15, 2014, 06:40:49 am »

The point is, he didn't do it in a democracy. He had taken over, and the people didn't have a say. In a government without Article 46, it wouldn't have happened.
-snip-
I don't know if the German people were allowed to speak out or not, though the Christian Germans weren't- many were put in concentration camps. Nor, I believe, were the communists or the democrats allowed to speak out, for they were driven under ground. Then there were the university students from Munich who were part of the White Rose Movement, which essentially handed out anti-Nazi leaflets. The leaders, whose names I now cannot remember, were beheaded. I'd say this constitutes action against those who spoke out, but even if it didn't, there was nowhere to speak out effectively. The newspaper? Well, I doubt the Nazis would allow that put in. The radio? Same problem. Leaflets? Well, that resulted in beheading. So, my point "People didn't have a say" seems correct to me, unless someone can supply showing people shout out against the Nazi party with no repercussions.

Hitler wasn't mainly voted in for his anti-Jew stance. That was a sideline to most people, who saw the break up of the Versailles Treaty, the renewal of industry and the promise of "Work and bread" as a much better incentive. This is how he got 40% in 1933, and needed a coalition to make up the difference. After this he became the chancellor, then the President when Hindenburg died. Through Article 46, he suspended parliament and made himself Fuhrer. After this, people effectively had no say- he ruled by decree. It is after this that the extermination of Jews began, not before. Crystal night was merely a tiny lead up to this. So, my point "He didn't do this in a democracy is correct."

I'm not trying to absolve the German people at the time of any wrong doing-definitely, many either agreed with him or went along with what he said. I'm only saying it wouldn't have happened in a democracy without Article 46. However, despite this, you do still have to be relatively fair to the German people. There were huge amounts of indoctrination, severe punishment for publicly disagreeing and at the very start, it was more about work and food, and their rights.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49424 on: May 15, 2014, 07:06:47 am »

Stop making me feel old, dammit!
Pages: 1 ... 3293 3294 [3295] 3296 3297 ... 11040