Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3180 3181 [3182] 3183 3184 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14452312 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #47715 on: April 21, 2014, 04:53:26 am »

Oh, long time no Wesnoth.

I've caught myself at 3 AM yesterday/today, fighting the Russian counterrevolution in Mount and Blade.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #47716 on: April 21, 2014, 09:38:10 am »

I'm sure that makes sense in context.... I hope...

It doesn't really makes any sense in context. Little sister want to meet the tomboy sports star but the tomboy is a lesbian pervert. It somehow leads to 5 mins of tooth-brushing.

Have another scene great for introducing people to the series.

Waring: This scene is bloody gory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HOAuiY5XFQ

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47717 on: April 21, 2014, 09:42:08 am »

I'm sure that makes sense in context.... I hope...

It doesn't really makes any sense in context. Little sister want to meet the tomboy sports star but the tomboy is a lesbian pervert. It somehow leads to 5 mins of tooth-brushing.

Have another scene great for introducing people to the series.

Waring: This scene is bloody gory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HOAuiY5XFQ
Does he survive?

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #47718 on: April 21, 2014, 09:43:21 am »

It's from the 1st season Bakemonogatari.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47719 on: April 21, 2014, 09:51:06 am »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47720 on: April 21, 2014, 10:27:31 am »

Move router closer to computer. Connection somehow gets worse.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47721 on: April 21, 2014, 10:59:30 am »

Pssh, that's not that gory.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47722 on: April 21, 2014, 11:26:50 am »

So... the Riffs know where the Warriors are from. Why don't they jus-- aw forget it, this movie isn't meant to make sense.
Is this really how 70s people envisioned the future?

Edit: Finished watching it. Why exactly is this movie a classic? :-\ That was pretty much retarded.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 11:40:51 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47724 on: April 21, 2014, 12:21:58 pm »

So... the Riffs know where the Warriors are from. Why don't they jus-- aw forget it, this movie isn't meant to make sense.
Is this really how 70s people envisioned the future?

Edit: Finished watching it. Why exactly is this movie a classic? :-\ That was pretty much retarded.

It's a classic because it's based on a classic. Also because a whole lot of impressive movies from the seventies tend to be rather silly.

For a more interesting movie, watch Mr. Sardonicus, which happens to be a 1950 movie. It's best if you don't look up anything about it beforehand, though. Kind of ruins the best part about it if you do.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #47725 on: April 21, 2014, 01:40:58 pm »

From what we learnt in History about Nazis, people didn't like them because they formed separate communities to other people, and their religion allowed them to do banking (unlike other ones). Don't think it applies nowadays, but anti-semetism could have been passed down.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47726 on: April 21, 2014, 02:05:11 pm »

Because the Jews were a stateless nation before the concept of the state existed (i.e. the same reason why other such groups like the Roma were also hated and persecuted), and worse, they weren't Christian (the whole 'judeo-christian' concept is relatively very recent, historically speaking) in a time and place where the Christians were already happily butchering each other because of internal divisions.

their religion allowed them to do banking (unlike other ones).
This is somewhat inaccurate. The Old Testament also forbids usury. The notion of usury as sin in Christian doctrine comes from a little after 1000 CE with Saint Anselm (and, naturally, Aquinas had to put in his two cents). Notably, all that this attempted to forbid was the charging of interest; moneylending was still alive and well among Christians in the sense of venture capital. In short, it was permissible for Christians to invest their money in a business (thus sharing in the risk) but not to simply loan money (in effect, making money simply by virtue of being rich). On a similar note, it was considered permissible by the Church and its scholars for credit unions and bankers to charge for their services.

So, put simply, there was a very narrow segment of the moneylending sector in which Jews had a favorable advantage: pure monetary loans, charging interest on the same. Which they tended to fill not least because they were barred from many other business practices; the Church and local authorities tended to restrict them to positions as moneylenders and collectors of taxes, rent, &c.

In short, antisemitism forced Jews to adopt jobs seen in a negative light which later became the basis for antisemitic stereotypes about Jews working in 'evil' professions. It's a beautiful example of a vicious cycle.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #47727 on: April 21, 2014, 02:08:57 pm »

Why on earth is it half the conspiracy theories seem to revolve around Jews being some kind of super evil overlord?

And what on earth do some people have against them?
Domination of Hollywood, American lobby and numerous corporations who in turn dominate America who in turn dominate the world e.t.c.
Pretty much any conspiracy theory that doesn't end in a monarch, illuminati or aliens ends in jews because of this.

We'll probably start seeing different conspiracy theories if America stops being the center of the world and conspiracy theories are once again allowed to thrive and breed wonderful crazy that doesn't revolve around jewish meth grannies.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #47728 on: April 21, 2014, 02:10:50 pm »

snip

It should be noted that after pograms forced Jews out of an area, other groups readily moved in to fill the void.  For example when the English and Spanish expelled the Jews, the Italians took over as bankers of the royal finances.  In Constantinople there was even a stereotype of Venetians that was similar to the stereotype Jews had in other areas and this lead on some occasions to anti-"Latin" riots.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #47729 on: April 21, 2014, 02:18:46 pm »

It should be noted that after pograms forced Jews out of an area, other groups readily moved in to fill the void.  For example when the English and Spanish expelled the Jews, the Italians took over as bankers of the royal finances.  In Constantinople there was even a stereotype of Venetians that was similar to the stereotype Jews had in other areas and this lead on some occasions to anti-"Latin" riots.
Also compare to the Knights Templar. Wealthy merchants get their wealth redistributed by burning torch and pitchfork century after century for quite a while in Europe. Heck, even the Catholics had all their shit nicked by protties a bunch of times.
Pages: 1 ... 3180 3181 [3182] 3183 3184 ... 11040