Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3146 3147 [3148] 3149 3150 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14462529 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #47205 on: April 11, 2014, 04:46:45 pm »

Nuzlocke Pokemon with randomiser is a roguelike. :3

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #47206 on: April 11, 2014, 04:51:56 pm »

Edit: I actually forgot about FTL too, that's also one. And all of these either never had a console mode, or had it removed.

Rogue Legacy is way more of a roguelike than FTL is. Nothing about FTL actually feels like a roguelike to me anyway, while as Rogue Legacy feels how you'd expect a roguelike-platformer to feel.

You have the opposite idea of me... I think FTL is way more Rogue-like than Rogue Legacy because it just has more... stuff you'd expect from that.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47207 on: April 11, 2014, 05:46:04 pm »

Tutorial? I don't think EU3 has a tutorial...

Wait, are you talking about the missions? Those aren't tutorials :P
I can imagine how this could cause game over very quickly...
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #47208 on: April 11, 2014, 05:57:04 pm »

On the rougelike argument topic:

My definition of rougelike goes as follows:
-ASCII default graphics (most of the time tilesets are OK)
-If you're dead, you're dead
-World is randomly generated

None of the following are under my definition:
-World deletion after death: May be on honor system, may be installed in game; not necessary part of game.
-The game being completely over after death: Deaths may impact future games, they may not. Even NetHack has dead players' graves.
I'd think that rougelikes would be red.  :P
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47209 on: April 11, 2014, 06:47:58 pm »

A site I frequent appears to have been consumed by another site without warning beforehand and without any notice that it ever happened on the site it now gives me at the same adress.
I suspect (and hope) its just a redirection bug or something, but its still quite odd.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47210 on: April 11, 2014, 07:44:11 pm »

Doing an assignment where we have to write a job application refusal letter.

I seem to have trouble making up an entire page.

Anyways, I tried looking up example letters online. Some of them are just terrible.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #47211 on: April 11, 2014, 08:00:50 pm »

... do you actually need a full page? Fairly sure "Your application has been rejected", with an appropriate header and footer is, like. Less than a page. Might even been a whole, like, five or six sentences if you bother niceties (Thank you for your interest) and a reason (you didn't graduate high school, you twit, and this position requires a master's degree.).

And seriously. If you can make it less than a page, you have a very strong motive to. Ink costs money. As does time. You have an economic mandate to make that letter as short and as rote as you can. Teacher says something, note to teacher that a business has very strong motivation to make things brief.

Especially a job application refusal letter, since they're probably sending out hundreds of the damned things.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 08:05:29 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47212 on: April 11, 2014, 08:09:38 pm »

Minimum one full page.

We have to follow the "negative letter guidelines", which seems like basic stuff: start with niceties, list strong reasons for the rejection (IE: not hiding behind "policy"), stuff like that.

Though looking at some of the letters I've found online, this stuff is beyond the grasp of some companies.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #47213 on: April 11, 2014, 08:16:03 pm »

Well.

All I can say is that ink would be coming out of your teacher's pay. Seriously. A half+ page of excess ink, for something you're going to be printing hundreds -- for some businesses, thousands -- of times for every job opening? That is a bloody lot of money. Your assignment should be "Make that thing as short as you possibly can and still meet the requirements." Points lost for every line over the half way mark.

But yeah, niceties, you've got a built in strong reason with "Didn't meet the requirements listed for the job". Header and footer gives you some extra space, but if that takes up a full page you're screwing up in an actual business setting, imo.

So just... do what you have to, Fly. And don't pay too much attention to... whatever you're learning.
Ask not!
Ask!

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #47214 on: April 11, 2014, 08:17:27 pm »

And don't pay too much attention to... whatever you're learning.

By my estimation it appears to be "not much" if the teacher considers whatever the hell they're doing to be a realistic approach to the situation by any company.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47215 on: April 11, 2014, 08:23:53 pm »

It's communications. Mandatory for most courses, that I know of. Basically like taking english again. Though it seems that my ability to pull sentences from my ass has waned since I left highschool.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47216 on: April 11, 2014, 08:33:51 pm »

Wait wait wait...

...people send out job application rejection letters? Where's the two hundred or so I should have? Hell, I can count the number of rejection emails and phone calls I ever received on one hand. What madness is this?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47217 on: April 11, 2014, 08:35:22 pm »

News to me too, from what I've heard they just don't tell you anything. I've never had a job though, so this is just by what happens to my friends.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47218 on: April 11, 2014, 08:37:17 pm »

I've never received any myself, but I know a few people who have.

I've never even gotten a call back, let alone an e-mail or letter.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #47219 on: April 11, 2014, 08:37:42 pm »

It's communications. Mandatory for most courses, that I know of. Basically like taking english again. Though it seems that my ability to pull sentences from my ass has waned since I left highschool.
... hrm. College level? Introductory stuff, though. Bleh. I remember there actually being word quotas you had to meet back when I hit that stuff, which I now know is goddamn stupid. If you've got time, you might actually ask the teacher for consideration re: brevity.* Since brevity is. Kinda' important. Everywhere, but business related stuff especially. If they're teaching you to pull sentences out of your nether regions instead of getting to the damn point they're just... not really doing a very good job :-\

But intro stuff is frankly just another level of high school, generally, so. Meh. You'll probably have better luck later on.

I mean, sometimes it takes a lot of words to get to the point. And, I'll admit, it's definitely fun to play and given less than half a chance I will. But it's bad craft to bloat.

*Maybe ask if you can make three or four appropriately sized ones instead of just one piece of crap? Likelihood of something like that dependent on how large the class is, of course.

Wait wait wait...

...people send out job application rejection letters? Where's the two hundred or so I should have? Hell, I can count the number of rejection emails and phone calls I ever received on one hand. What madness is this?
I think they may have, like, decades ago or something? Still, even if you never send one, the technique of business communication is something that should be practiced. It's just... flyme isn't. In this case. That assignment is violently anti-commercial.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 3146 3147 [3148] 3149 3150 ... 11040