Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3137 3138 [3139] 3140 3141 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14457662 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #47070 on: April 08, 2014, 10:25:30 pm »

The problem comes mainly from the fact that men are petty creatures who are afraid of being dominated.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #47071 on: April 08, 2014, 10:27:08 pm »

The problem comes mainly from the fact that CISHET SCUM are petty creatures who are afraid of being dominated.
ftfy~

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #47072 on: April 08, 2014, 10:50:27 pm »

The problem comes mainly from the fact that men are petty creatures who are afraid of being dominated.

No offense, but that's not the source at all.  A woman could be assertive (or whatever you want to call those behaviors, confident, dominating, controlling, it covers several) towards another woman and still be more likely to be called bossy than a man doing the same.

Its kind of like how with a 50/50 gender split in media people will comment on how many female characters there are.  They just aren't used to an even split, so in their mind a 2:3 or more skew is normal.  Or how people comment on strong female characters but not strong male characters.

In this case, people are more used to males acting this way than females, so it appears exaggerated to them when women do it.  Or they're just sexist if you want to be cynical about it.

Still a dumb reason to ban a word.  I guess actually educating people would be hard, better to just stop all discussion.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47073 on: April 08, 2014, 10:59:48 pm »

That's a bit of a generalization, I could enjoy being dominated... just not in a professional or intellectual setting.

And as Hat said, it's not just about male insecurities; it's part of a broader set of cultural preconceptions which trend towards treating women as inferior, in both qualitative and quantitative senses. It's the same "reasoning" that's been used to try to bar women from business, law, etc. for about as long as those professions have existed. I do agree that it's bullshit to ban words instead of educating people, but shoving social problems beneath the rug has long been the accepted substitute for actually dealing with them.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47074 on: April 08, 2014, 11:00:12 pm »

Generalizations~
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 11:33:20 pm by Vorthon »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47075 on: April 08, 2014, 11:11:49 pm »

I sometimes secretly long to live in a time and place where arranged marriages were commonplace, where I could be sold off to a wonderful, domineering woman who would provide guidance and direction to my aimless, meandering life.

They pondered the engraving found upon the stone for many days, each wondering in their own ways if it was the fanciful dream of some chuckling wit, or the desperate wish of a forlorn soul lost in a world with too little order and too little chaos. he r srs or just jk? loliunno m8

3. Run Resize Enable

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #47076 on: April 08, 2014, 11:13:03 pm »

I sometimes secretly long to live in a time and place where arranged marriages were commonplace, where I could be sold off to a wonderful, domineering woman who would provide guidance and direction to my aimless, meandering life.

They pondered the engraving found upon the stone for many days, each wondering in their own ways if it was the fanciful dream of some chuckling wit, or the desperate wish of a forlorn soul lost in a world with too little order and too little chaos. he r srs or just jk? loliunno m8
I don't even your secret message. xD

But still. DO NOT SECRETLY LONG FOR THIS BECAUSE THIS IS HOW IT HAS BEEN A FEW DECADES AGO HERE.
It was not good.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47077 on: April 08, 2014, 11:16:14 pm »

Yeah, I don't think that wishing for the removal of some of your freedom is exactly a good idea.

That said, I'm pretty sure by the secret message that you are being sarcastic. At least slightly.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #47078 on: April 08, 2014, 11:26:53 pm »

Ehn. Your freedom is defined by what freedoms you remove from it. Freedom unfettered is nothing.

And I kinda' ken the feeling, really. Makes me feel kinda' wistful, I think would be the right word. There is something appealing to the thought of being able to just... leave some of the details of existing to someone else. Let them handle some of the worrisome scutwork, y'know? Help carry some of the burden of choice. Tis many the day when the devil Choice is a terrible weight and a vicious yoke upon a soul.

Of course, the key word is wonderful, more than anything. Even more appealing is the thought of having someone in your life you could actually trust enough -- and who knows you enough -- to make decisions for you that will be to your benefit and happiness.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47079 on: April 08, 2014, 11:55:11 pm »

I was hoping I did the tone well enough that the second half of it wasn't even necessary to understand that it was satirical.  :P

My own opinion is something along the lines of what Frumple said: it's possible to find meaning and satisfaction in allowing yourself to be guided or controlled by someone you trust, but it's damned rare to find a person you trust that deeply who would also find their own satisfaction in doing so, and who is competent enough to run both of your lives. Above all else, the key element is that even then you are making a choice by deciding to let someone else control your life, insofar that it is your choice rather than something imposed by an external authority.

3. Run Resize Enable

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #47080 on: April 08, 2014, 11:57:56 pm »

I've been listening to binaural beats for the past hour or so. Turning it off suddenly and the newfound silence just seems deafening.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #47081 on: April 09, 2014, 12:20:25 am »

So, as far as that discussion of assertive women goes, I'd like to point out that studies have shown that most workplace bullying is female-female. I don't remember exactly where I read that, it was in a magazine I found in the IT back room while imaging computers at the company where my dad works. Legit, right?

Anyway, speaking of dominant women, I'm reminded of something I read in a book about Switzerland printed pre-female sufferage. A woman was defending the current system, saying that any woman who can't force her husband to vote the way she wants him to doesn't deserve a say.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #47082 on: April 09, 2014, 12:21:27 am »

Quote from: everyone
dominated

So... are we still talking about bossiness, or has this gone to a place of BDSM?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #47083 on: April 09, 2014, 12:22:08 am »

My WTF goes on people judging by superficial details instead of checking the values which said people believe in or follow.
Let's totally generalize. >.>

Quote from: everyone
dominated

So... are we still talking about bossiness, or has this gone to a place of BDSM?
I don't even

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #47084 on: April 09, 2014, 12:23:45 am »

I, for one, welcome domineering feminist overlords.

Snu snu.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 ... 3137 3138 [3139] 3140 3141 ... 11040