Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3134 3135 [3136] 3137 3138 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14457640 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #47025 on: April 07, 2014, 11:39:00 pm »

Robot Parade Leader's username.
The sentient bowtie is confused by the presence of a robot parade leader?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #47026 on: April 07, 2014, 11:44:25 pm »

Then again, if sleeping with a dude -feels nice-, you'll probably do it more? And hey presto, one of those future times you get knocked up. So there's a bit of evolutionary pressure.
This. I've never understood the argument that female orgasm is an evolutionary fluke. Motivation is motivation, even if it's not strictly necessary to the process.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47027 on: April 08, 2014, 12:05:33 am »

http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/washtenaw-county/police-say-man-high-on-hallucinogenic-mushrooms-ripped-off-part-of-his-own-penis-at-ypsilanti-school

Don't do drugs kids. Don't ever do drugs. Just ... Ouch.

I don't think it's NSFW because it doesn't have any images, but the words in the link above make it pretty much all right there on the label.
The only word I needed to see was Ypsilanti. That fucking place, I swear.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #47028 on: April 08, 2014, 12:55:20 am »

http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/washtenaw-county/police-say-man-high-on-hallucinogenic-mushrooms-ripped-off-part-of-his-own-penis-at-ypsilanti-school

I don't think it's NSFW because it doesn't have any images, but the words in the link above make it pretty much all right there on the label.
Indeed. Shit happens in Ypsi.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #47029 on: April 08, 2014, 02:31:16 am »

Well, what did you expect from a place named like something from a bad sci-fi?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47030 on: April 08, 2014, 04:13:17 am »

Well, what did you expect from a place named like something from a bad sci-fi?
We had a prime minister of one of our states wh was called Ypsilanti. She didn't last long.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #47031 on: April 08, 2014, 08:34:33 am »

Then again, if sleeping with a dude -feels nice-, you'll probably do it more? And hey presto, one of those future times you get knocked up. So there's a bit of evolutionary pressure.
This. I've never understood the argument that female orgasm is an evolutionary fluke. Motivation is motivation, even if it's not strictly necessary to the process.
Yeah... there's more to it*, but at least part of the reason it's likely an evolutionary fluke -- or, more precisely, exists in ladies because the physiological reaction is incredibly strongly selected for in fella's, kinda' like the whole nipple thing in reverse -- is... well, you realize that something like a third of women, don't? Or do so very rarely. And that actual, y'know, penetrative sex, is fairly unlikely to cause one? Forgetting the exact numbers, but it was found** that something like half to three quarters of ladies that do experience it, don't (or, at least, seldom) from th'act of reproductive intercourse (which they still get up to plenty, mind. Still feels good, and there's other reasons besides.).

Basically, if it is adaptive, it's really not doing a good job at motivating sleeping with a dude.

*Seriously, look into it. I was personally introduced to the subject of the research et al involved by Lloyd's book. I remember it having an issue or two, but it did a bloody good job of laying out several of the problems surrounding research into the phenomena and regarding an adaptive explanation (which was/is basically the normal assumption) specifically.
**Once some researchers that didn't have their heads up their metaphorical experimental methodology arse started doing some work.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #47032 on: April 08, 2014, 08:39:58 am »

...You guys know that you are mammals, right?

What are mammals? Creatures with mammary glands!
Just like 'male nipples' blehh.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #47033 on: April 08, 2014, 08:56:15 am »

Male nipples are essentially hood ornaments. Because sexual dimorphism in humans can only go so far.

And not all male mammals have nipples. The Norwegian rat and most horses being two examples.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #47034 on: April 08, 2014, 09:19:29 am »

Yeah... there's more to it*, but at least part of the reason it's likely an evolutionary fluke -- or, more precisely, exists in ladies because the physiological reaction is incredibly strongly selected for in fella's, kinda' like the whole nipple thing in reverse -- is... well, you realize that something like a third of women, don't? Or do so very rarely. And that actual, y'know, penetrative sex, is fairly unlikely to cause one? Forgetting the exact numbers, but it was found** that something like half to three quarters of ladies that do experience it, don't (or, at least, seldom) from th'act of reproductive intercourse (which they still get up to plenty, mind. Still feels good, and there's other reasons besides.).

Basically, if it is adaptive, it's really not doing a good job at motivating sleeping with a dude.

*Seriously, look into it. I was personally introduced to the subject of the research et al involved by Lloyd's book. I remember it having an issue or two, but it did a bloody good job of laying out several of the problems surrounding research into the phenomena and regarding an adaptive explanation (which was/is basically the normal assumption) specifically.
**Once some researchers that didn't have their heads up their metaphorical experimental methodology arse started doing some work.

I find your wording here extremely confusing.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #47035 on: April 08, 2014, 10:45:47 am »

Flash Player has decided it wants to eat up a million kilobites of processing power, and 75% of my CPU. I think it's time for a re-installation.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47036 on: April 08, 2014, 11:02:12 am »

Flash Player has decided it wants to eat up a million kilobites of processing power, and 75% of my CPU. I think it's time for a re-installation.
you mean uninstall (HMTL 5 FTW)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #47037 on: April 08, 2014, 11:21:18 am »

I find your wording here extremely confusing.
Fair enough. Put more clearly: One of the arguments against the female orgasm coming about as an evolutionary pressure towards reproductive sex is that it's terrible at actually occurring during the process. Something like a third of all women never experience orgasm, regardless of method, or only do so very rarely. Of the remaining 2/3rds, only somewhere between half and a quarter experience one with any degree of likelihood during penetrative sex -- that is, somewhere between 50 and 75% (I've forgotten the exact number, but it was 50+%, yes.) of that remainder either don't or aren't likely to experience orgasm during reproductive sex. And there's not really much of a notable difference in frequency or likelihood of having sex between any of the varying permutations, from what I recall.

To say the phenomena is supposed to incentivise reproductive congress when for something either approaching or notably beyond a majority of women it doesn't occur during such, and it's not particularly likely to cause more when it does is... unlikely, y'know?
Ask not!
Ask!

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #47038 on: April 08, 2014, 11:45:08 am »

Then what is the explanation? It just bumped into existence for no reason? That would be very unlikely.

What would be an alternative is a social benefit, since I'm fairly but not completely certain that sex, including non-reproductive sex, increased group cohesion.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #47039 on: April 08, 2014, 11:47:49 am »

... again, the likely explanation, at least from what I've seen, is that it's there for more or less the same reason men have nipples. It's so strongly selected for in one sex that it happens to stick around for the rest of the species.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 11:51:44 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 3134 3135 [3136] 3137 3138 ... 11040