Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3052 3053 [3054] 3055 3056 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14452338 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #45795 on: March 16, 2014, 08:08:21 pm »

Gaunt's Ghosts is pretty awesome. It's nitty-gritty military sci-fi featuring ordinary humans instead of power-armored demigods, immortal aliens, all-powerful demons, or whatever other OP thing is running around the franchise universe. Lots of named characters drop like flies as well, and no-one is truly safe.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45796 on: March 16, 2014, 08:16:07 pm »

Gaunt's Ghosts is pretty awesome. It's nitty-gritty military sci-fi featuring ordinary humans instead of power-armored demigods, immortal aliens, all-powerful demons, or whatever other OP thing is running around the franchise universe. Lots of named characters drop like flies as well, and no-one is truly safe.
This.   I've only read a few of his books so far, due to mentioned problems, but when I read them I never felt that a character would get through a situation because of plot armor.    Sometimes they survive against impossible odds, and sometimes they die suddenly to something like poison.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45797 on: March 16, 2014, 08:17:12 pm »

Reminds me of when I looked into buying an out-of-print manga series off of Amazon...

People love gouging for that stuff, so you'd see prices like this:
Volume 1: $10
Volume 2: $14
Volume 3: $95
Volume 4: $29
Volume 5: $50
Volume 6: $5
etc.

Totally random. They all sold for $10-15 when new.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #45798 on: March 16, 2014, 08:50:18 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_misconceptions
Quote from: Example
There was no widespread outbreak of panic across the United States in response to Orson Welles' 1938 radio adaptation of H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds. Only a very small share of the radio audience was even listening to it, and isolated reports of scattered incidents and increased call volume to emergency services were played up the next day by newspapers, eager to discredit radio as a competitor for advertising. Both Welles and CBS, which had initially reacted apologetically, later came to realize that the myth benefited them and actively embraced it in their later years.
That whole article blew my mind.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #45799 on: March 17, 2014, 01:21:42 am »

There was no widespread outbreak of panic across the United States in response to Orson Welles' 1938 radio adaptation of H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds. Only a very small share of the radio audience was even listening to it, and isolated reports of scattered incidents and increased call volume to emergency services were played up the next day by newspapers, eager to discredit radio as a competitor for advertising. Both Welles and CBS, which had initially reacted apologetically, later came to realize that the myth benefited them and actively embraced it in their later years.
"Vomiting was not a regular part of Roman dining customs.[1] In ancient Rome, the architectural feature called a vomitorium was the entranceway through which crowds entered and exited a stadium, not a special room used for purging food during meals.[2]"

Well, damn.
._.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #45800 on: March 17, 2014, 01:35:39 am »

"Vomiting was not a regular part of Roman dining customs.[1] In ancient Rome, the architectural feature called a vomitorium was the entranceway through which crowds entered and exited a stadium, not a special room used for purging food during meals.[2]"

Well, damn.
Yep. "Vomitorium" because the crowds were being spewed forth. Basically the exact same thing as the entrance ramps at any modern stadium.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #45801 on: March 17, 2014, 01:52:11 am »

So... yeah.    Several hundred dollars for a new paperback book.  I can't even find either of them in Books a Million, and the price is the same for Barnes and Nobles.   Used they are around twenty five dollars, but the last time I ordered a used book online it was missing five pages that contained some fairly important plot material.

As long as you buy from a company (not an individual seller) on Amazon, and don't go below Good condition, you'll usually be OK. With novels, the main problems that you run into at Good or Very Good will be stress lines on the binding or cosmetic cover damage. The bigger companies genearlly price at the mean level for a given conditon, so you're not going to overpay, and the profit margins on used fiction are low enough that there's not a huge amount of "LIST EVERY LAST COPY" pressure (as opposed to textbooks, where there's so much money to be made that they tend to be very, very forgiving of condition issues in the knowledge that profits are high and buyers are very likely to take "good enough" rather than go through a time consuming return process (returns are very expensive to a company.))
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45802 on: March 17, 2014, 03:15:45 am »

Well, damn.
Yep. "Vomitorium" because the crowds were being spewed forth. Basically the exact same thing as the entrance ramps at any modern stadium.

Wait, so... it was a slang term?  :o
That's pretty awesome, if so.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #45803 on: March 17, 2014, 09:04:46 am »

IIRC, Greeks used the word 'Saurus' (lizard) as slang for Penis.

Meanwhile, in Latin, Saurus means treasure.

Take that how you will.
"I've got a lizard in my pants!"
"Really? I've got treasure in mine."

Edit: even better:
"I've got treasure in my pants~"
"Really? Looks like a lizard to me."
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 09:29:31 am by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #45804 on: March 17, 2014, 09:37:50 am »

My WTF for the day: I made a 'Silence of the Lambs' reference at my little brother's birthday party yesterday, and my grandmother was the only one who got it.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45805 on: March 17, 2014, 09:39:08 am »

I'm WTFing more at the use of such a reference at a birthday party, but oh well. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #45806 on: March 17, 2014, 10:29:47 am »

I'm WTFing more at the use of such a reference at a birthday party, but oh well. :P
"It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."
"Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard. I'd fuck me so hard."

Definitely children's birthday material.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45807 on: March 17, 2014, 10:39:50 am »

So there's this crazy Californian cult that's actually kinda awesome.

I fully believe someone said to themselves, "lots of people make religion to manipulate people into doing bad things, so let's make one to manipulate people into doing good things instead!" So now we have people worshiping UFOs, donating to feminist causes, saving the environment, and promoting peace and understanding.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45808 on: March 17, 2014, 10:48:21 am »

So there's this crazy Californian cult that's actually kinda awesome.

I fully believe someone said to themselves, "lots of people make religion to manipulate people into doing bad things, so let's make one to manipulate people into doing good things instead!" So now we have people worshiping UFOs, donating to feminist causes, saving the environment, and promoting peace and understanding.
Sounds like the sort of thing that would get started in my state :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #45809 on: March 17, 2014, 01:03:44 pm »

Facebook had another interface change. Once again they moved the chatbar to the other side of the screen. Where it was a year ago when they last changed it.

I really have no idea why they pay anyone to do this shit since pretty much all the changes so far have been "Move chatbar to the other side"
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 3052 3053 [3054] 3055 3056 ... 11040