Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3050 3051 [3052] 3053 3054 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14452212 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #45765 on: March 16, 2014, 11:06:33 am »

Why would there be epic instrumental solos in an age where songs are sold on starpower? Sorry did I say starpower? I mean hotness.

Why distract people from manufactured celebrities?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #45766 on: March 16, 2014, 11:09:29 am »

... if they're failing to pull off epic instrumental solos with percussion or piano, they, uh. They kinda' just suck. Sorry?

I mean, particularly with piano. Needs singing to pull off a solo? We've got like 200+ years of musical tradition saying otherwise :P And especially in the last few decades they've had folks really trying to rock out on piano, doubly so on top of stuff a decent keyboard can bring to the table. Maybe not as part of the whole radio-consumption arena, but eh.

Percussion solo's a bit more difficult, but if there's anything most music I've heard just kinda' blow at it's doing percussion well. There's an incredible depth and breadth to percussion that goes criminally untapped, on the whole. Folks could be doing really jaw-dropping stuff with percussion, even if they just stuck to drums and didn't bring in the fancier stuff, they just... don't. For some reason.

Though there is Neo's point.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #45767 on: March 16, 2014, 11:10:52 am »

Female song instruments are minimalistic at the moment. Which brings us back to Neo's point.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #45768 on: March 16, 2014, 11:11:11 am »

... sounds good to me. Could use some more variety. Guitar's nice and all, but it's kinda' stodgy if you don't have someone incredibly good playing on it. It's no accordion. Other stuff's more versatile on average, basically, and that makes for more interesting -- dynamic, too -- music.

May the brass section reign supreme in the coming era. Or other string instruments (C'moooon fiddle!). Woodwinds. Percussion. Anything, really. I've had enough non-classical guitar, m'self. Not sick of it, per se, but it's been a while since I looked forward to hearing guitar. And if we're turning away from it, hopefully to the more interesting stuff... all the better. Might actually turn on the radio one of these days.

Let's be honest here. What we need is more cowbell.

Or more David Jaxon.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #45769 on: March 16, 2014, 11:13:46 am »

Did I mention I once had the opportunity to listen to a talented young lady do mozart on snare drum? It was pretty damn incredible. I still kick myself occasionally for not picking up a recording of it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45770 on: March 16, 2014, 11:17:26 am »

Female song instruments are minimalistic at the moment. Which brings us back to Neo's point.
Little clarification here:

By "female songs" do you mean songs targeted/marketed toward women? (and similarly for "male songs")
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #45771 on: March 16, 2014, 11:18:22 am »

Did I mention I once had the opportunity to listen to a talented young lady do mozart on snare drum? It was pretty damn incredible. I still kick myself occasionally for not picking up a recording of it.
Why does this belong in this thread? O_o
That's amazing.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #45772 on: March 16, 2014, 11:33:57 am »

It was relevent to the conversation
It's FEF, not FEOF

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #45773 on: March 16, 2014, 12:22:47 pm »

... if they're failing to pull off epic instrumental solos with percussion or piano, they, uh. They kinda' just suck. Sorry?

I mean, particularly with piano. Needs singing to pull off a solo? We've got like 200+ years of musical tradition saying otherwise :P And especially in the last few decades they've had folks really trying to rock out on piano, doubly so on top of stuff a decent keyboard can bring to the table. Maybe not as part of the whole radio-consumption arena, but eh.

Percussion solo's a bit more difficult, but if there's anything most music I've heard just kinda' blow at it's doing percussion well. There's an incredible depth and breadth to percussion that goes criminally untapped, on the whole. Folks could be doing really jaw-dropping stuff with percussion, even if they just stuck to drums and didn't bring in the fancier stuff, they just... don't. For some reason.

Though there is Neo's point.

Speaking of, fucking Common Time. I just plain don't get how anyone could thing that 4/4 all day erry day is anywhere near a decent meter for dance songs. That's a major part of the reason I don't dance (like, at all) - the music does absolutely nothing for me? Even 6/8, 4/4 old brother who isn't as hip as he used to be, is better.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45774 on: March 16, 2014, 12:53:07 pm »

I'm sitting here browsing imgur (and reading the comments) at almost 4AM.
What am I doing with my life.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #45775 on: March 16, 2014, 12:54:29 pm »

I do dancing. Isn't much difference either way if you've got timing. For example, in the last show I did, 'Whole Lotta' Rosie' and 'I Love Rock And Roll' were both about as easy, although Rosie's general style was more entertaining.

Also, WTF is with these 'Cyberstreetwise' ads? I think they're trying to keep people safe by convincing them that the internet is where the souls of the damned live.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45776 on: March 16, 2014, 01:47:01 pm »

It was either here or the terrified thread.
I don't even know. I don't think I WANT to know.

Oh hey, this was the first Vinesauce video I saw. And apparently it's one of those weird not-VR chat programs that sprung up in the 90's. At least IIRC.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45777 on: March 16, 2014, 01:51:52 pm »

percussion that goes criminally untapped

Am I the only one who finds this humorous?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45778 on: March 16, 2014, 03:51:51 pm »

I'm sitting here browsing imgur (and reading the comments) at almost 4AM.
What am I doing with my life.

Whoooops. Just browsed imgur for three hours straight. O.O
I am going to go sleep now.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 ... 3050 3051 [3052] 3053 3054 ... 11040