Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3021 3022 [3023] 3024 3025 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14444229 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #45330 on: March 07, 2014, 01:03:20 pm »

The sulfur truck was probably transporting it probably to create sulfuric acid, which has a number of industrial uses.

Sulfur apparently mostly comes from the refinement of natural gas or petrolium, and 85% of the world's supply gets converted to sulfuric acid (I did not know these things before I looked them up).

I don't actually think it's actually very dangerous in it's pure form. Though it smells awful.
But why ship it molten? That involves some fairly significant heating costs, if nothing else.

EDIT: And chemically dangerous or no, molten sulfur would give some pretty serious burns on account of being a bit warmer than boiling water and there being an entire tanker full of the stuff.
Actually, given liquid water's ludicrous heat capacity, water just below boiling (so 100 degrees) would burn way more than sulphur would. I won't calculate it though.

PPE:
Okay nevermind Wolfram Alpha makes it so easy.
Since we're going burns, I'm assuming human body temperature is where we're going, and that there's an entire tanker of liquid transferring heat into a person because it's easier. An example sulphur trailer I found contains about 14.385m^3, so that's how much liquid there is.

Liquid sulphur has a density of 1819 kg/m^3, so that means there is 26166.315 kg overall.
Water is easier to calculate, being 1000 kg/m^3, so 14385 kg of water.

Water boils at 100 degrees and sulphur is kept at 140. In both cases their temperature will drop to 37. So for water that's a drop of 100-37=63 degrees, and for sulphur it's 140-37=103 degrees.
Specific heat capacity of water is 4184 J/kg°C, while liquid sulphur is 705 J/kg°C.

That makes the energy transferred from the sulphur 26166.315*705*103=1.9*10^9 Joules transferred.
For water it's 14385*4184*63=3.79*10^9 Joules transferred.
So the water transfers just under twice the energy as the same mass of molten sulphur (at boiling and transport temperatures respectively)

So yeah, boiling water would still be worse than the molten sulphur.
And yes I realise that I didn't need a specific volume and that my rounding is inconsistent, but the point gets across.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #45331 on: March 07, 2014, 02:06:14 pm »

Fair enough. I'll still wager that my earlier claim was technically correct, though, with only a twofold difference and boiling water having more than enough energy to get the job done. >_________>
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #45333 on: March 07, 2014, 08:35:19 pm »

That would probably be the dry van with heavy-duty locks on the doors and "RADIOACTIVE" hazard placards plastered all over it. Better believe I gave that one a decent amount of space.
Niiiiiiice.

Although it's possible it didn't have anything radioactive in it right at that moment. I have seen people in overalls putting chemicals from a high school lab storage room into barrels marked "Hazardous Material", with biohazard signs  and all.
Nope. Legally, a truck containing hazardous materials needs to display warning placards showing what it is. Likewise, a truck that contains no hazardous materials CAN NOT display placards. You can get hit with very hefty fines for having it the wrong way.

...speaking of, will you tell us now what the secret thing you were transporting a while ago was, but didn't tell us after it was done because you liked how theorizing we were and please please please I want to know so bad T_T
It's FEF, not FEOF

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45334 on: March 07, 2014, 08:37:30 pm »

That would probably be the dry van with heavy-duty locks on the doors and "RADIOACTIVE" hazard placards plastered all over it. Better believe I gave that one a decent amount of space.
Niiiiiiice.

Although it's possible it didn't have anything radioactive in it right at that moment. I have seen people in overalls putting chemicals from a high school lab storage room into barrels marked "Hazardous Material", with biohazard signs  and all.
Nope. Legally, a truck containing hazardous materials needs to display warning placards showing what it is. Likewise, a truck that contains no hazardous materials CAN NOT display placards. You can get hit with very hefty fines for having it the wrong way.

...speaking of, will you tell us now what the secret thing you were transporting a while ago was, but didn't tell us after it was done because you liked how theorizing we were and please please please I want to know so bad T_T
You sure you want to know? I guarantee it'll be a bit disappointing :v
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #45335 on: March 07, 2014, 08:40:22 pm »

I bet it was something mildly dangerous (Toxic or some such) but relatively boring. Like a large amount of a caustic substance, like muriatic acid or something.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45336 on: March 07, 2014, 08:42:20 pm »

Hydrophosphoric acid?
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #45337 on: March 07, 2014, 08:42:43 pm »

Lolicon manga?
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45338 on: March 07, 2014, 08:45:36 pm »

I bet it was something mildly dangerous (Toxic or some such) but relatively boring. Like a large amount of a caustic substance, like muriatic acid or something.
You're severely overstating how interesting it was.

It was....*drumroll*....
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45339 on: March 07, 2014, 09:16:17 pm »

Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45340 on: March 07, 2014, 09:19:39 pm »

Printer ink is worth about jack shit in reality, but a few companies corner the market for it, so they can price it however they want to. Kind of like diamonds, only even more of an inflation.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #45341 on: March 07, 2014, 09:45:12 pm »

... somehow, in the process of closing, Quickbooks managed to suspend itself. I have never actually seen a program do that. Other programs suspend the program in question, yes -- I do it all the time with process explorer, and BES basically works its magic by stutter suspending, s'far as I can tell -- but I've never seen a program bug out and inflict the status upon itself. It also apparently managed to crash so hard window's crash reporting thingy just kinda' threw up its hands and gave up. Loaded up in the background, closed back down, not a pop-up or notification in sight.

At least in confronting this horrifically coded piece of digital manure, I'm getting to see things break in new and novel (to me, anyway) ways. It... it's something.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #45342 on: March 08, 2014, 10:14:12 am »

I got so sloshed I didn't sleep last night. That's unique.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #45343 on: March 08, 2014, 10:33:23 am »

The forums I frequent seem to rotate the "does not work" status. For a few weeks, this one was so laggy and hard to connect to that I could barely use it, while GitP worked fine. Now Bay12 is working fine, and GitP is almost unusable.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 3021 3022 [3023] 3024 3025 ... 11040