Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2984 2985 [2986] 2987 2988 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14441210 times)

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #44775 on: February 26, 2014, 04:58:58 pm »

... does anybody else get a Lovecraft vibe out of the new godzilla trailer?
Trailer link for dudes who haven't seen it yet.

The scenes where he rose out of the water, yeah. Given how much they were hyping "it's gonna destroy us all" I'm kinda disappointed it's just Godzilla and not Cthulhu. Someone needs to make a good quality Lovecraft horror movie sometime.

Wanna know what vibe I really got out of the trailer? Prometheus-Aliens-Inception. Is there some kind of rule that every trailer incorporates the Inception horn now? There must be some unspoken rule now.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44776 on: February 26, 2014, 05:06:11 pm »

The demented choral stuff kinda gave me a Lovecraftian vibe, at the very least.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #44777 on: February 26, 2014, 05:17:57 pm »

... does anybody else get a Lovecraft vibe out of the new godzilla trailer?
Trailer link for dudes who haven't seen it yet.

The scenes where he rose out of the water, yeah. Given how much they were hyping "it's gonna destroy us all" I'm kinda disappointed it's just Godzilla and not Cthulhu. Someone needs to make a good quality Lovecraft horror movie sometime.

Wanna know what vibe I really got out of the trailer? Prometheus-Aliens-Inception. Is there some kind of rule that every trailer incorporates the Inception horn now? There must be some unspoken rule now.
Especially strange since the Inception Horn was actually just extremely slowed-down play of the music to which they were Inceiving, a result of the in-universe phenomenon of the mind experiencing more time than is passing in the next level up.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44778 on: February 26, 2014, 05:20:55 pm »

<efrem> what if the horse is making itself popcorn + then it turns into glue and now there's just popcorn w/ glue all over it
<efrem> also the horse is your fifth grade teacher and now all the kids are eating glue popcorn
What?

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44779 on: February 26, 2014, 05:27:41 pm »

<efrem> what if the horse is making itself popcorn + then it turns into glue and now there's just popcorn w/ glue all over it
<efrem> also the horse is your fifth grade teacher and now all the kids are eating glue popcorn
What?
One of the non-Bay12 Space Station 13 IRCs. Also,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #44780 on: February 26, 2014, 05:31:48 pm »

<AngriestIBM> counterpoint: what if the horse is being ridden by some big doofus like it's a race or polo
<AngriestIBM> and then it turns to glue and he looks like a big fool sitting on a glue puddle
that happened to my cousin once
now he lives in arizona
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44781 on: February 26, 2014, 05:50:58 pm »

Well honestly a GOOD lovecraft movie probably wouldn't even show Cthulhu.

Heck if I remember correctly a few of his books didn't even feature creatures you could see, where the horror was the fact that you knew something supernatural was happening.

I vote for a Shadow of the Comet movie!

Ohh wait... that involves magical native americans. Might not go over well with a modern audience.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 05:58:23 pm by Neonivek »

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #44782 on: February 26, 2014, 06:05:53 pm »

Especially strange since the Inception Horn was actually just extremely slowed-down play of the music to which they were Inceiving, a result of the in-universe phenomenon of the mind experiencing more time than is passing in the next level up.

Inception Horn was used as an example since it's probably one of the most identifiable examples of "droning loud noise for every major trailer twist". Having a loud "BWAAAH" or  "BOOM" noise seems to be really popular for trailers.
It's really hard for me to take trailers seriously--bwaah--when it seems like every one does the same trick--BWAAAAH-- *turns to whisper to the camera directly, everything gets quiet* to try and get the audience's attention. *BWAAAAH* *screen fades to black*
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44783 on: February 26, 2014, 07:15:40 pm »

Heck if I remember correctly a few of his books didn't even feature creatures you could see, where the horror was the fact that you knew something supernatural was happening.

Ohh wait... that involves magical native americans. Might not go over well with a modern audience.

I'm still pissy about that 'at the Mountains of Madness' movie thing. I was looking forward to that, dammit. :<

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #44784 on: February 26, 2014, 07:28:43 pm »

Obviously, every movie must be set in America because America is the best country! [/hyperpatriotism]

Honestly, there's probably a number of reasons. Firstly, America is the best film market. Secondly, the American military is the most advanced in the world, so advanced tech is easier to hand-wave. Also, the Worf Effect is more pronounced. Thirdly, America is arguably the most diverse country in the world, both in terrain and in people, so that allows for extra character background diversity. Fourthly, and this bit is probably a bit of biased nationalism showing through, America is pretty cool. We may be rude, crude, boisterous, bluff, imposing, overbearing, and have a high opinion of ourselves, but we're never boring. We affect pretty much everything in the world, and we do it with alternating style and bungling.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #44785 on: February 26, 2014, 07:35:17 pm »

Obviously, every movie must be set in America because America is the best country! [/hyperpatriotism]

Honestly, there's probably a number of reasons. Firstly, America is the best film market. Secondly, the American military is the most advanced in the world, so advanced tech is easier to hand-wave. Also, the Worf Effect is more pronounced. Thirdly, America is arguably the most diverse country in the world, both in terrain and in people, so that allows for extra character background diversity. Fourthly, and this bit is probably a bit of biased nationalism showing through, America is pretty cool. We may be rude, crude, boisterous, bluff, imposing, overbearing, and have a high opinion of ourselves, but we're never boring. We affect pretty much everything in the world, and we do it with alternating style and bungling.
Plus Hollywood. I mean you guys remember who makes all the movies right? It's Hollywood. The city here has been trying to attract more of the movie industry, but still Hollywood.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #44786 on: February 26, 2014, 07:47:32 pm »

I'm still pissy about that 'at the Mountains of Madness' movie thing. I was looking forward to that, dammit. :<
What was this
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #44787 on: February 26, 2014, 07:54:16 pm »

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44788 on: February 26, 2014, 08:11:18 pm »

What was this
Guillermo del Toro was working on a film adaptation of At the Mountains of Madness. Kinda fell through because of his insistence on making it an R-rated movie instead of a PG-13 one, causing Universal not to greenlight it. He's still trying to get it off the ground, though, but the outlook isn't good. :<
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 11:43:24 pm by Vorthon »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #44789 on: February 26, 2014, 08:18:20 pm »

Correct. The titular Dunwitch Horror was completely invisible despite being gigantic.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 2984 2985 [2986] 2987 2988 ... 11040