Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2915 2916 [2917] 2918 2919 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14428002 times)

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #43740 on: February 04, 2014, 06:00:34 pm »

Yeah it's possible that it's diabeetus related, get a checkup and ask the doc about it.

Diabetes would probably be out of the question.  No family history of it, and I've never really had a problem with sweets or anything.  Blood work was done recently and nothing was out of the ordinary.  It's just one of those weird things that I'll probably get over.  I know full well to go to a doctor if it gets worse/continues for a while.

Although, if I lose a leg, I could totally get an awesome prosthetic leg and be on my way to becoming a cyborg or something.  Why don't we have those yet?  Isn't this 2014?  Why couldn't someone have engineered a body full of artificial organs encasing the brain and some nerves already?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #43741 on: February 04, 2014, 06:04:43 pm »

I can't imagine how people eat expired food without dying. But then again people ate expired food all the time throughout history and we're still here. Also what is cheese but expired milk, and what is tofu but expired soy? I'd drink a shot of expired corn slurry to that!

Pickled food is even better.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43742 on: February 04, 2014, 06:05:17 pm »

Although, if I lose a leg, I could totally get an awesome prosthetic leg and be on my way to becoming a cyborg or something.  Why don't we have those yet?  Isn't this 2014?  Why couldn't someone have engineered a body full of artificial organs encasing the brain and some nerves already?
Because all doctors suck and have this outdated thing called "Ethics".

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43743 on: February 04, 2014, 06:49:20 pm »

What's unethical about it?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43744 on: February 04, 2014, 06:53:23 pm »

Robots are inherently unethical, cyborgs are part robot, therefore cyborgs are partially unethical. Moral grey areas are, in fact, worse than unethical, why? I don't know.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43745 on: February 04, 2014, 06:57:50 pm »

Wait, no. I thought he was talking about vat-grown organs, not mechanical ones. Vat-grown ones need, AFAIK, stem cells, which come from proto poop-machines and noise-makers pre-natal infants. The only problem I can see with mechanical ones is that it might be difficult to get volunteers for clinical trials.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43746 on: February 04, 2014, 07:13:24 pm »

Wait, no. I thought he was talking about vat-grown organs, not mechanical ones. Vat-grown ones need, AFAIK, stem cells, which come from proto poop-machines and noise-makers pre-natal infants. The only problem I can see with mechanical ones is that it might be difficult to get volunteers for clinical trials.

I'd totally be down for this.  If we could have long-lasting organs made artificially, mechanically or otherwise, I'd totally be up for that.  As long as they worked and they could guarantee that they could keep me alive, I'd totally be a guinea pig.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43747 on: February 04, 2014, 07:26:02 pm »

Frumple, the way you talk and type, your words caress the contours of my consciousness like no one ever has.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #43748 on: February 04, 2014, 07:28:32 pm »

Not anymore, not since we've got induced pluripotent stem cells. The real problem is, something as complex as a leg is very, very hard to grow with the current tech and knowledge. We could, with great difficulties, grow a heart or other organs like that - it's basically just one type of cells, plus vascularization. Meanwhile in a leg, you have skin, muscle, cartilage, fat... a ton of things to go wrong there.

And there is a problem with mechanical legs - namely, DX:HR wasn't kidding. You can either have a super fancy shiny modern peg leg, or something that works as a real leg (this is, responds to neural signalling) and ram into a wall. Because neurons don't like that, and the glial cells form scars. And said scars are awful signal conductors.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #43749 on: February 04, 2014, 07:32:32 pm »

There's those blade foot prosthetics that make a no-legged athlete, who had barely trained in running, able to outrun Olympic runners. Turns out he killed his girlfriend and was let out on bail despite the fact his main claim to fame is running real fast. There are also robotic hands that can feel sensory inputs. I recall one interview with a researcher saying that the big problem with robotics was that they can give you a really strong hand, or a really dextrous hand, but it's difficult to do both. Although a weak dextrous hand is probably good enough for most people, once they break that design barrier we're good to go.

There's various stuff going on about exosuits to help soldiers carry very heavy loads (such as armor and ammunition, but also just gear so they can remain in the field longer and not get so tired). We have brainwave-controllers that can allow a quadriplegic person move a cursor around a screen - which is about 20 years away from being completely incredible.

Part of researching how to make a replacement part is being able to make a whole robot that works well. There's the robo donkey that a guy shoving on it can't knock over - it's too agile and just rebalances itself. Thing can follow its people on its own and carry huge loads, navigating novel broken terrain well. We have that dumb dancing Honda robot. Spider robots, etc.

They've found a few different ways to make undifferentiated stem cells without harvesting from babies. I read something recently about one research team that was able to get differentiated cells to revert to an undifferentiated state, from which they would naturally differentiate depending on environment much like a stem cell. They stressed the cells with acidic solutions which killed many but undifferentiated a large percentage. The trick is they were differentiated cells from newborn mice. They haven't reported on attempts to do it with older cells in more adult mice - but note they didn't just take stem cells from a baby mouse. This is very exciting stuff but it's in the earliest stages still.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43750 on: February 04, 2014, 07:37:41 pm »

Telemarketers... Are they getting worse???
Just had one right now.
Asks for Mr or Mrs (Family Name).
I in a clam voice reply. Sorry their not here right now.
THEN SHE JUST STARTS GOING INTO HER SALES PITCH,
I say, Sorry their not here,
SHE CONTINUES,
I Lift my voice a bit maybe she can't hear me.
INSTANT HANGUP!!!

I was sure that we had put ourselves on the no call list too... T_T
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43751 on: February 04, 2014, 07:40:29 pm »

Telemarketers... Are they getting worse???
Just had one right now.
Asks for Mr or Mrs (Family Name).
I in a clam voice reply. Sorry their not here right now.
THEN SHE JUST STARTS GOING INTO HER SALES PITCH,
I say, Sorry their not here,
SHE CONTINUES,
I Lift my voice a bit maybe she can't hear me.
INSTANT HANGUP!!!

I was sure that we had put ourselves on the no call list too... T_T
Maybe it was a robocaller?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43752 on: February 04, 2014, 08:07:48 pm »

As long as the cells are harvested before the fetus develops a nervous system I don't have a problem with it. Before that it's just a clump of cells. It may be human, but it's not a person that can think or feel. Besides, they are working on several ways to get the cells without using fetal stem cells.

Mechanical organs-wise: behold - a man with a mechanical heart. Really, the I imagine most difficult part is getting the brain out and still being able to keep it alive/ forming connections with nerves.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #43753 on: February 04, 2014, 08:08:55 pm »

You gotta screw with them.

TM: Is <name> home?
You: (In "rain man" voice) Yeah.
TM: Can you put him on the phone please?
You: Nope.
TM: This is concerning great deals on kitchens, can I speak to <name> please?
You: Can I be in your family?
TM: I'm ... excuse me, what was that?
You: I'm happy when I eat fish sticks.

Just continue spouting nonsense in a stupid voice until they hang up. If you get them to hang up you win.

Some will continue blasting out their script at a million incomprehensible words per minute. These you airhorn. When they call back you open your phone and airhorn again. At no time after the first airhorn do you put the phone to your ear because they will just be trying to get you back.

Alternately:

You: Let me go get him.
(Set down the phone gently and put your headphones on so you can get back to gaming)
(Close your cell phone much later when you see the call end)
(This is generally done only if you have an unlimited-minutes plan)
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #43754 on: February 04, 2014, 08:19:58 pm »

i just watched 6 hours of prison break

netflix