Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2890 2891 [2892] 2893 2894 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14438875 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #43365 on: January 25, 2014, 06:27:35 pm »

Speaking of awesome childhood games:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ahh, that game. Even I played it. So much time invested.
I never got into that game as much as other people I knew did. Then again I've never really had friends to play MMOs with, so I tend to lose interest in them.
Ah, I played it for a good long while. Never really got into the PvP much (the real PvP, that is, not the no-loss minigames), because it took way too long to grind good gear when you lose everything on death. That, and the magic system (while different enough from other MMOs and SP RPGs to be interesting) was obscenely expensive to use. T'was certainly a good way to learn to trust nobody, though, especially before they implemented a lot of the anti-scamming features.
This. That "lose everything" thing completely threw me off as a kid though. I died very early, and I felt like I spent the next 5 levels catching up.

I once found a bunch of gold on the floor though. Good times, good times.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43366 on: January 25, 2014, 06:38:52 pm »

That sounds useless in every way for everyone involved. Has she tried manually terminating the process and deleting the program?

She isn't computer literate. I'm surprise she even managed to download it in the first place.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43367 on: January 25, 2014, 07:22:32 pm »

My first computer game was, uhhh... some game on the old Amstrad where you moved through a dungeon dodging monsters and rescued some wizardly-looking fellow from a jail cell. No idea what it was called. I still remember the carpet we had in the computer room.
...And then we got a PSOne and even though my hands were barely big enough to fit around the controller, I fell in love with it.

I used to play Runescape, too, although I was never all that into it- even back then I despised the 'monthly subscription' thing, and most people I encountered online pissed me off no end with bad spelling and grammar. One fun moment was playing with an IRL friend of mine, but that was about it.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43368 on: January 25, 2014, 07:30:56 pm »

Ahh, that game. Even I played it. So much time invested.
I never got into that game as much as other people I knew did. Then again I've never really had friends to play MMOs with, so I tend to lose interest in them.
Ah, I played it for a good long while. Never really got into the PvP much (the real PvP, that is, not the no-loss minigames), because it took way too long to grind good gear when you lose everything on death. That, and the magic system (while different enough from other MMOs and SP RPGs to be interesting) was obscenely expensive to use. T'was certainly a good way to learn to trust nobody, though, especially before they implemented a lot of the anti-scamming features.
This. That "lose everything" thing completely threw me off as a kid though. I died very early, and I felt like I spent the next 5 levels catching up.

I once found a bunch of gold on the floor though. Good times, good times.

Oh, man, let me tell you. When I got my first abyssal whip, it was a long time before the gravestone mechanic ever existed. I was grinding bowstrings, picking flax and spinning them in that one town near the castle thing. There was a guy in the spinning wheel room selling bowstrings in large quantities, and he went afk after not having any luck. Well, just after that, a swarm popped up. Y'know, the random event cloud of bugs that does one damage per attack? Now, the afk merchant was pretty decently leveled, so I kept spinning for about five or ten minutes, and every time I came back to the wheel he was a bit lower. Once he got to around 1/4 health, I banked everything and stood on him, just waiting for it...

His health inched lower and lower, and I could almost taste it. Finally, he died. I was the only one actually waiting for it, so I managed to spam click on his drops for a good 2-3 seconds before the crowd of people rushed over. My total take was around 840k gold, 2k bowstrings, and some random bits of the splitbark mage armor, as well as some rubbish that he had on him. Fucking score. So I banked it all and kept grinding bowstrings. Dude came back a few minutes later, sort of pitifully asking if someone had his stuff. I gave him his armor back. :V

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #43369 on: January 25, 2014, 10:44:17 pm »

I don't remember what my first computer game actually was, though I think it had something to do with star wars, maybe? I just can't remember what it was or what it was about. I do remember playing  Doom, Doom 2 and Wolfenstein 3d well. I think me and my younger brother managed to actually get to the final boss of Wolfenstein 3d. I also remember LEGO racers and the first LEGO star wars, but I think I got that at a later time. I still have the LEGO racers CD in my room, in fact.
I didn't really play MMO's, or anything of that sort, since the internet connection at our old house wasn't that good.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43370 on: January 26, 2014, 12:09:13 am »

My first computer game was either Wolfenstein 3d, DOOM, or Starcraft.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #43371 on: January 26, 2014, 12:20:44 am »

My earliest memory is the first time I played a computer game.  I was about 2.5 years old.  Sitting in my dad's lap on a university campus computer.  I remember the computer was for controlling this big laser that hung from the ceiling.  The game was Frogger.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43372 on: January 26, 2014, 12:24:21 am »

My earliest... hoo boy, one of several freeware DOS games, but I remember neither names nor which one I played first. My earliest concrete memories are of Chip's Challenge.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #43373 on: January 26, 2014, 12:41:11 am »

The earliest game I can certainly remember is FF6, but I'm not certain if my memory of FF4 dates to before or after my memories of FF6. I just remember a really old TV that had knobs missing. Those were good times. I still don't understand how childhood Bauglir so overlooked the gem that is Secret of Evermore, though, but I suspect it had something to do with the outrageous difficulty spike at Salabog. I can't overstate how underappreciated that game is, though - I still find something new every time.

Fun fact: Every game I love from my childhood has one or two bosses that I could never beat, no matter how hard I tried, for years. As a consequence, to this day, the segments of the game between those bosses and the final boss* feel significantly fresher. Once I get past Ultros, I still feel a rush of "This is so cool". Beating Masa & Mune? Hell, yes.

*My mother usually had endgame saves that I would poke around in, being sure never to save without permission.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #43374 on: January 26, 2014, 12:43:45 am »

My earliest game in general was either Super Metroid or Super Mario World. I can speedrun both now, somewhat, 1:10 for Super Metroid and 20 minutes Super Mario World.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #43375 on: January 26, 2014, 12:47:13 am »

My earliest was Great Giana Sisters with a sprite hack to make it look like Mario.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #43376 on: January 26, 2014, 01:15:25 am »

As far as I can recall, the first technically non-educational computer game I had was Classic Concentration. My sisters and I spent a lot of time playing it, enough that the youngest of my sisters knew what I was game I was referring to just from me humming the theme song from it.

Then later on we had The Incredible Machine 3, which is probably educational, but Wikipedia doesn't show it as such in its categories and I really liked it, so I say it counts. Plus I didn't solve the puzzles nearly as much as I dicked around in sandbox mode.

The earliest game I can recall owning that was in no way educational was Lego Creator, which came from a cereal box. I also recall we got the Amazon Trail from that same giveaway. And I believe at some point a different giveaway from Captain Crunch netted me a game about raising some freaky little creatures called "Crunchlings" and Taco Bell gave away floppy disks with a single screen platformer game where you moved taco ingredients around while dodging sentient peppers iirc. And I played the shit out of all these game since, for a long time, my mom didn't believe in buying non-educational games.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43377 on: January 26, 2014, 01:17:47 am »

My first game was Wario Land 3.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43378 on: January 26, 2014, 01:18:59 am »

Then later on we had The Incredible Machine 3, which is probably educational, but Wikipedia doesn't show it as such in its categories and I really liked it, so I say it counts. Plus I didn't solve the puzzles nearly as much as I dicked around in sandbox mode.
Oh hey, that was my first game!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43379 on: January 26, 2014, 04:02:57 am »

I loved setting up a closed room with 30 magic balls and then putting up some dynamite and cats and trampolines and phasers and watch the ensuing total chaos.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 2890 2891 [2892] 2893 2894 ... 11040