Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2769 2770 [2771] 2772 2773 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14474512 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #41553 on: December 20, 2013, 01:21:43 pm »

So it's snowing more than I've ever seen snow in my life, right? Not saying much considering I've lived in Texas, Hawaii, and places like that, but it's kinda scary when you try to stop your car at an intersection and it just keeps going. I finally get to the freeway and it's a lesson in stress management. "Yeah, screw this, I'm calling in. I'm not risking my car for a five hour shift."

Work's like, "Well, can you come in at 12?" You really think all this snow and ice is going to be melted in two freaking hours? Right. "Well, come in at 3 then. It's supposed to get warmer and the snow will melt."

Yes. It's supposed to melt in the city, relatively far from where I live. I live at the foot of the freaking mountains. The forecast says that it'll get up to the 40's, but there are two inches of snow on the street in front of my house. I'm no snow expert, but just because the air's warmer doesn't mean that the snow's going to melt.

I'm completely unfamiliar with driving in the snow. My car's more use as a bob sled than a motor vehicle right now. And you want me to come in for a five hour shift just so you don't have to change the time sheet.

And it's snowing even harder than it was when I called them. I highly doubt I'm going to be driving any more today. Your five hour shift isn't worth risking a wreck.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41554 on: December 20, 2013, 01:24:18 pm »

I found out about Sword of Truth.
Now now, pacifist hippies were only massacred once by the protagonists in the series as far as I know. And those hippies were "insufferably self-righteous" in their non-violent protest, so of course it was righteous to murder them.
Plus Richard's thing rising inside him.
And the food sex.
And the kicking a little girl in the face.
And the chicken that was not a chicken.
Personally it was the constant authorial soapboxing that did it for me. Purely as fiction those books are almost unreadable, and they manage to be even worse when you pay attention to the subtext. Sort of like Rand's... books. I'll be charitable and say that the Sword of Truth series does manage to be better than that, though, if barely.

Hey. Be fair. Rand was completely overt with the fact that what she wrote was an Author Tract by design. Goodkind tries to pass the soapboxing in the subtext.

Fair enough. At least she was honest.

Oh jah... sometimes the ignorance about computers just astound me.
If that hadn't had the context to it, I honestly would have thought that it was a young child's first encounter with a word processor.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #41556 on: December 20, 2013, 01:33:50 pm »

Hope everything does get better etc. etc.

Oh, naturally. I suppose I was just kinda freaked out about the skidding into piles of snow and in front of oncoming traffic. I hate feeling powerless, especially since I'm typically a good driver.

I'll probably end up going later if it does indeed melt... But they seemed really insensitive to it.

It's stopped snowing now, so that's a good sign.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #41557 on: December 20, 2013, 02:39:01 pm »

"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41558 on: December 20, 2013, 03:33:00 pm »

Oh my... I didn't think anyone from the modern generation could be so incredibly dense... I guess she never had to do any actual WORK before, so that might be a bit more acceptable, but still...

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41559 on: December 20, 2013, 03:48:45 pm »

Reading a lot of Not Always Right, they come to seem a bit... suspect, often, or atleast exaggerated. I'm sure many of them are true, mind you, but, well.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41560 on: December 20, 2013, 03:49:23 pm »

The generation doesn't matter, the humans don't change that much.
._.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41561 on: December 20, 2013, 05:14:45 pm »

Things I got today: A prescription for typhoid vaccination pills, a credit card, the recommendation to flood my sinuses with hot salt water. Merry early Christmas!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #41562 on: December 20, 2013, 05:43:19 pm »

Don't knock the salt water. Pure bliss.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #41563 on: December 20, 2013, 06:13:43 pm »

Don't knock the salt water. Pure bliss.
My memories of the last time I had salt water in my face for medical reasons involve crouching over a sink, face scrunched in pain as the taste of blood and infected flesh swished over my tongue; the salt producing a bitter burning in my mouth as infected, but still operating, pain nerves screamed against their destruction by the salty water; my tooth a painful nightmare for a child torn between the constant, mounting, background pain and difficulty eating; the intense, supposedly helpful fire of salt on open wound; and the painful, tortured motions of attempting to remove a tooth literally rotting in your own mouth, breaking the decaying bone into pieces and tearing your infected gums apart as you try to finally end the pain.

Kids, when you're teeth get wiggly and your parents say it's time to take them out, listen to them.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41564 on: December 20, 2013, 06:26:58 pm »

And to think I thought I was traumatized by my mom sitting on my chest with a wash cloth and yanking a canine out because three adult ones grew in in front of the baby ones, and it was going to cost quite a bit for general anesthesia at a hospital for them to be removed...

That was the result of my dentist attempting to knock me out with some drugs, then putting nitrous on me. I woke up and started punching. Only 10 or so and I got kicked out of a dentist.

Not even having my wisdom teeth pulled compares. I told the Navy docs that story, and they recommended a civilian doc for the procedure, who drugged me and had all 4 out in half an hour, and I was back in bed high on hydrocodone and on bed rest (rarity in the marines) for another 4 days.
Pages: 1 ... 2769 2770 [2771] 2772 2773 ... 11037