Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2767 2768 [2769] 2770 2771 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14473582 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #41520 on: December 19, 2013, 03:35:02 pm »

There are a few dictators who were not from culturally-similar countries but did assimilate their own small nation into the larger one, or the small nation was already absorbed. But Stalin stamped out all opposition to Soviet rule in Georgia despite being a Georgian nationalist poet in his youth, so both in effect absorbed their home nations into their own personal empires.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #41521 on: December 19, 2013, 06:08:52 pm »

My cat was sleeping next to me and snoring (because cats can do that apparently). I got irritated, and said "Stop snoring cat". He immediately stopped, without otherwise acknowledging me.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #41522 on: December 19, 2013, 06:39:51 pm »

I just sold 4 steam cards that have been up for sale for weeks now, all within the span of an hour or two, and all to different people.

Why today?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #41523 on: December 19, 2013, 06:45:23 pm »

Winter sale. If you complete a game's collection, you get a Holiday Card for the Holiday Card collection.

So buying cards from games must be cheaper than buying cards for the collection or something.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41524 on: December 19, 2013, 06:52:40 pm »

This. All of it. There are no redeeming qualities in this or the majority of the comments.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41525 on: December 19, 2013, 07:23:36 pm »

This. All of it. There are no redeeming qualities in this or the majority of the comments.
I don't even watch this... is this some reality tv show where they picked up some weirdos and film them?  Well... what do you expect when you turn some hicks who are inclined to say what they believe into tv stars?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41526 on: December 19, 2013, 07:29:23 pm »

I don't even watch this... is this some reality tv show where they picked up some weirdos and film them?  Well... what do you expect when you turn some hicks who are inclined to say what they believe into tv stars?

Duck Dynasty is a reality show that follows a family that got rich through duck calls and other miscellaneous hunting equipment.

But yeah, this sort of thing was kind of expected.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #41527 on: December 19, 2013, 07:39:41 pm »

I'm going to chime in with a rather unpopular opinion and say that he shouldn't have been fired, and that it reflects badly on and is extremely dishonest of the studio to do so.

Guys, he's a white 62-year old man from rural northern Louisiana. Of course he thinks "homosexual behavior" is a sin! Duck Dynasty is a show about, wait for it, a clan of white rural men from Northern Louisiana.

Some of you may be moral relativists. I'm certainly not, but it does seem to be fashionable among modern progressives to "treat everyone's identities and cultures equally". Well, folks, this is that guy's culture. What does it really say about a movement when, after decades of trying to make sure everyone can express their sexuality equally, gets somebody fired for expressing their opinion about it? Before 2003, being gay was a crime in several states. It's certainly better that gay people should be treated equally and have full rights than the former situation, but it flies in the face of the spirit of civil liberties to do a 180 on what people can and can't express just because barely half the country considers it "the inevitable march of progress".
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 07:42:14 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #41528 on: December 19, 2013, 07:42:14 pm »

I'm not sure if that's an unpopular opinion. He's a redneck from a time when there were educational videos telling you to avoid homosexuals because they love to prey on children. I would be surprised if he said anything else.

He was prompted, too. It's not like he said it out of nowhere. It was part of an interview.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #41529 on: December 19, 2013, 07:44:19 pm »

I'm not sure if that's an unpopular opinion. He's a redneck from a time when there were educational videos telling you to avoid homosexuals because they love to prey on children. I would be surprised if he said anything else.

He was prompted, too. It's not like he said it out of nowhere. It was part of an interview.

So it's entrapment, then, in spirit if not in letter. I'm sure the studio told him to give a full and candid interview. That is what we have before us.

Certainly I think his opinions on gay people are outdated at the very, very best, and as the Atlantic has reported, his opinions on race relations and grasp of history are unsettling. But that's not any reason to fire him.

Look, you want acceptance. That's the point of the whole bloody movement. Now what message does it send to the 45% of Americans who still oppose gay marriage that if they don't change a personal and highly sacred (because political- I myself do not actually believe that opinions must always be treated equally just because they are politically prominent, but I am not a democrat, and any believer in democracy certainly should believe so) opinion, they may themselves be "disaccepted" by being fired?

And if they should be so disaccepted, what next? Should we fire everyone with a Confederate flag decal? Sure, the Confederate flag represents a pretty atrocious ideal, but so what? Today's progressive is tomorrow's reactionary. Should we use the "march of progress" as a yardstick? Rick Santorum would say it's progress to get the homosexual agenda out of our schools and our politics. That's progress towards a better society, isn't it, one that protects its children from the evil machinations of vice and degeneracy?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 07:55:13 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41530 on: December 19, 2013, 07:53:08 pm »

I really don't care about Duck Dynasty or what happens to that guy. The thing that made me go WTF, and hence post in this thread, was the post that I linked to and associated comments. Nothing more. Nothing less.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 07:57:09 pm by Mephisto »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41531 on: December 19, 2013, 08:03:02 pm »

What is this I don't even

EDIT:

Oh god why am I so lucky?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 08:07:57 pm by Remuthra »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41532 on: December 19, 2013, 08:57:02 pm »

You have the right to say just about whatever the fuck you want, but you don't have the right to avoid the consequences of it. In the USA, the first amendment merely protects (most) speech from being criminalized. Nothing he said was against the law. It did, however, make the network look bad, and they usually fire people who make their show look bad.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #41533 on: December 19, 2013, 09:06:56 pm »

The main issue is that they kinda fired a major guy in their primary moneymaker.

There's a chance that the network could fail entirely due to this choice.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #41534 on: December 19, 2013, 09:13:04 pm »

Duck Dynasty's a pretty important show, but it didn't save the network or anything. Losing it would hurt, but it's unlikely that they couldn't continue on, particularly with the modern craze for (quite cheap) docureality shows.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 2767 2768 [2769] 2770 2771 ... 11037