Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2761 2762 [2763] 2764 2765 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14469066 times)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #41430 on: December 16, 2013, 11:03:49 am »

Antibiotics help get rid of the infection faster, anyways.

As to everything else, some people I know are convinced I just don't talk about the "drugs" I've done, because I told them "Never touched em, never will. Barely even drink too".

Got a case of booze from my wedding a few months ago, that is STILL on the porch, just covered in snow now.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #41431 on: December 16, 2013, 12:23:58 pm »

Would your boss allow you to go to work drunk?  No.  What about high?  No.
Should you drive while drunk?  No.  What about while you are high?  No.
Should you be handling heavy equipment or dangerous tools while drunk?  No.  What about while you are high?  No.

I dunno man... seems party hard to figure out the appropriate time to light it up... a little help please?
Probably when you're at home and you don't have work or other obligations to keep up with for the rest of the evening.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41432 on: December 16, 2013, 12:54:09 pm »

It's the same thing as video games and watching TV.

You don't do it on the job, you do it when you have no obligations and want to unwind.

And those don't even affect your brain in a prolonged sense (I.E. you smoke a joint and you're still high an hour or so later. You turn off the TV and your attention can be almost immediately returned to your tasks. ... Well, if you don't have ADHD anyway *grumble grumble*)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #41433 on: December 16, 2013, 01:31:42 pm »

Discovered a new wave of spam/scam emails in my spam folder this morning. Wedding invitations asking you to click on them to RSVP.

Now, I know none of them are real because no one I know is getting married in December this year. I mean...I guess it's as effective as anything else, since you're bound to get some people who will get all excited and click on the link. But it was still kind of odd to see.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41434 on: December 16, 2013, 02:38:50 pm »

I dunno man... seems party hard to figure out the appropriate time to light it up... a little help please?
I tried quitting caffeine, couldn't program for shit anymore. And did you just say "party hard"? Maybe shouldn't post when drunk :D

Pro-drug-use: I think everyone in the whole world should try mushrooms at least once.
I'm not a morning person... >.>  Takes awhile to boot up the ol brain when I ain't got anything to do that needs it functioning.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #41435 on: December 16, 2013, 02:53:07 pm »

Pro-drug-use: I think everyone in the whole world should try mushrooms at least once.

I woke up today listening to a RadioLab episode ("Bliss") that had a section about that.

It was interesting. I don't like the thought of something changing my brain around fundamentally, though. That's basically the same thing as death.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41436 on: December 16, 2013, 03:18:47 pm »

I prefer not having my mental capabilities messed with by substances that I am not familiar with and don't know how they work.  Strongest stuff I'll take is caffeine, I won't even take aspirin unless it is absolutely necessary.

In my case, I studied the effects and actions of drugs on human biochemistry before I ever did them. Extensively. Sure, it wasn't in a classroom, but I don't think I've learned hardly anything of use in a classroom, except for how to interact with other people, and a plethora of random facts that will probably never be useful, such as, "Columbus sailed the ocean blue in 1492."

It was interesting. I don't like the thought of something changing my brain around fundamentally, though. That's basically the same thing as death.

... No, pretty sure death is when your brain stops working entirely. Mind-altering =/= death. Your entire existence is made entirely of the signals of chemicals flashing through your brain all hours of the day. If a different signal comes through, it doesn't mean everything just stops and dies on the spot. It means something different happened. Different =/= death either. It's also not like shrooms entirely change everything about everything in your brain. You are still you, if you choose to be. This isn't some Fineas Gage shit we're talking about here. Nothing shuts down forever, completely altering your personality permanently. People who have used mushrooms usually report that it changed their outlook for the better, and that they are happier on the whole with their lives. I've done mushrooms, and I can tell you that... It's not really any different than it was before. I have a highly enjoyable experience that I can look back on, but that's about it.

Drugs are fun. illegal. bad. good. dangerous. drugs.
This. Things aren't good or bad, regardless of the normative connotations people attach to them. Value judgements are based on how we use them.

I will agree that some drugs can lead to highly destructive behavior on the part of their users. Most especially methamphetamines, heroin, and cocaine. The vast majority of the time, drugs boil down to sitting around and feeling funny. That's really it. Seriously. I've done pretty much every drug under the sun. I've never gone out and destroyed something just because I was high. I've never hurt someone because I was high. Why? Because that is not who I am, fundamentally, and I am smart enough to not let the excuse of 'I'm high' dictate my behavior. Why do people go out and do shitty things while they're on drugs? Because they wanted to while they were sober, but they were too inhibited to do so. Not because 'drugs made them a bad person'. Drugs gave them a sufficient excuse to go out and do what they might do. Frankly, there is pretty much zero difference between the actions of someone who is drunk and someone who is high, except that being drunk is more culturally accepted.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #41437 on: December 16, 2013, 04:14:09 pm »

I'm not particularly learned of drug lore, but I've always been aware that Marijuana has no extra-personal negative effects. It's not even addicting enough to cause someone to run a family bank account dry buying shittons of it, IIRC.

Though on a personal level, the negative effects are exactly what you'd expect from breathing in smoke. It really ought to be legalized in the U.S, or Tobbacco outlawed, since on a societal level they're the same effect; People die of lung cancer. Also, once people start putting rat poison in joints on a mass scale people might start having a more definite reason to not do that shit outside of jailtime, which has surprisingly little effect, it seems.

But I'm going to defer to Hanslanda, who is to drugs what Dumbledore is to magic... And knowing Dumbles, probably some drugs too. (Dumbledore's Ipod is full of this)
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #41438 on: December 16, 2013, 04:45:23 pm »

On a site note, various types of drugs are known to worsen various psychological problems. Mostly, it's merely triggering an underlying genetic condition, but it can trigger entirely new things.

Not that stress and various medicinal drugs can trigger that either, but anyway.

Though on a personal level, the negative effects are exactly what you'd expect from breathing in smoke. It really ought to be legalized in the U.S, or Tobbacco outlawed, since on a societal level they're the same effect; People die of lung cancer.
In the EU, a ban on smoking might be a fact in the next twenty years. Probably not in the USA, because of lobbying.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #41439 on: December 16, 2013, 04:47:21 pm »

The lobbyists are every bit as active in the EU as they are in the US, as the defeat of multiple anti-smoking initiatives recently proves.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #41440 on: December 16, 2013, 04:58:15 pm »

They do generally have significantly less success in the EU though. Sure, it won't be something that's going to happen tomorrow, but we'll get there, eventually.

Edit: Also sources. Only banned anti smoking thing I could find was the banning of snus, which is more collateral damage than anything. ((The original ban in 1992 was based on scientific facts, which were later proved inconclusive.))
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 05:03:39 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #41441 on: December 16, 2013, 05:15:27 pm »

They do generally have significantly less success in the EU though. Sure, it won't be something that's going to happen tomorrow, but we'll get there, eventually.

Edit: Also sources. Only banned anti smoking thing I could find was the banning of snus, which is more collateral damage than anything. ((The original ban in 1992 was based on scientific facts, which were later proved inconclusive.))

The anti-smoking legislation was an enlargement of the disease picture on cigarette packs and heavy restrictions on E-cigarettes. This was in early October.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #41442 on: December 16, 2013, 05:16:32 pm »

It's FEF, not FEOF

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41443 on: December 16, 2013, 06:37:03 pm »

Today I found out a couple people were shipping me and an acquaintance/friend. Now, I like that guy, and apparently he likes me too (as I was later told by one of those people), but shipping? Seriously? What happened to the good old guy-guy friendship?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 06:49:02 pm by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #41444 on: December 16, 2013, 06:38:31 pm »

Oh god please not this shipping thing again or else-

There. Now you have it. I'm menstruating again.
Pages: 1 ... 2761 2762 [2763] 2764 2765 ... 11037