Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2758 2759 [2760] 2761 2762 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14472032 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #41385 on: December 15, 2013, 10:35:19 am »

If attacked by the Witch from left 4 dead, hand her a smartphone and leg it while she trys and fails to take picture. A flawless plan.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #41386 on: December 15, 2013, 12:10:33 pm »

If attacked by the Witch from left 4 dead, hand her a smartphone and leg it while she trys and fails to take picture. A flawless plan.
Why would you give a depressed zombie with no reason to sleep a smartphone? Suddenly, the internet is destroyed under an eternal flood of selfies fished for compliments; DEAR GOD WOMAN WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41387 on: December 15, 2013, 02:52:52 pm »

Have it only work on patriarchal large cell phones.
That is so stupid that I can't tell if it's satire or not.

Poe's law, eh?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41388 on: December 15, 2013, 04:24:54 pm »

I was looking up Derringers (because seriously I know not much about guns and I probably should know more). Anyway, I found one site that reviews guns (it was gunsandammo, but my not-americanness meant I didn't recognise it immediately), and they had a review of a gun kind of like a Derringer but with a bigger grip. Anyway, they had written:
"Two shots are simply not enough for a primary [self defence] weapon."

Where is anyone ever going to be where they need to shoot somebody to defend themselves and two shots isn't enough? If it ever came to a situation like that (and I imagine it rarely does), why would your plan be anything but to shoot at the person once and GTFO?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 04:27:28 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41389 on: December 15, 2013, 04:25:20 pm »

Have it only work on patriarchal large cell phones.
That is so stupid that I can't tell if it's satire or not.

Poe's law, eh?

SJWs are perhaps the ultimate evolution of Poe's Law. :/

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41390 on: December 15, 2013, 04:33:25 pm »

I was looking up Derringers (because seriously I know not much about guns and I probably should know more). Anyway, I found one site that reviews guns (it was gunsandammo, but my not-americanness meant I didn't recognise it immediately), and they had a review of a gun kind of like a Derringer but with a bigger grip. Anyway, they had written:

Where is anyone ever going to be where they need to shoot somebody to defend themselves and two shots isn't enough? If it ever came to a situation like that (and I imagine it rarely does), why would your plan be anything but to shoot at the person once and GTFO?
If you got ambushed on the street by a pack of wild bears. Two shots from a tiny derringer would have trouble taking down even a single bear. But dozens? A true red blooded AMERICAN would obviously be properly prepared for this circumstance, either armed with multiple shotguns, or proper assault weapons.
Now, I understand that you aren't AMERICAN, so you don't understand the dangers of living in AMERICA (of which roving gangs of bears are just one of the multitudes of threats), but believe me when I tell you that a simple derringer would be woefully insufficient for self defense here.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41391 on: December 15, 2013, 04:47:41 pm »

They're actually not just being macho. They are privately acknowledging the fact that if they had to shoot an attacker, there is a very good chance that they will miss because of their own fear, shaking hands, adrenaline etc. It is very unwise to rely on two shots in a situation like that.

Though I am in no way an expert, far from it, from what I have heard the most sensible self defence weapons for situations like that would be something like a glock 19 if you were attacked while going about your business, or a semi automatic rifle if attacked at home, preferably something in 5.56 or .223 so it doesn't damage your house too much. Again, it should have a reasonably sized magazine for all the reasons we've already talked about. As Helgoland mentions suppressive fire could be extremely useful in a situation like that (if you can scare the attacker off or keep him at bay while someone calls the police, or while you get away) so 10 rounds may not be enough, especially if there is more than one attacker. That means the home defence gun would probably be an AR-15 with more than 10 rounds in the magazine. The issue there though of course is that it would depend on whether you were fighting your attacker in a very confined space, all those bullets could wreak havoc and they will still over-penetrate. Nothing is perfect. Another good idea would be a .20 gauge shotgun. 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 05:27:03 pm by Owlbread »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41392 on: December 15, 2013, 04:52:00 pm »

Also the possible need for suppressive fire, issues with stopping power, not hitting the right spots... If you're going to carry a weapon, carry a proper one.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41393 on: December 15, 2013, 06:12:35 pm »

Why would you give a depressed zombie with no reason to sleep a smartphone? Suddenly, the internet is destroyed under an eternal flood of selfies fished for compliments; DEAR GOD WOMAN WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!
Well, at least she doesn't turn herself orange with fake tan, i guess.
DEAR GOD WOMAN WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!
HAng on a second.
DEAR GOD WOMAN

¬.¬

Are you saying that to the witch or to me? Because I'm at least 95% certain I'm not a woman.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41394 on: December 15, 2013, 06:16:35 pm »

Well, at least she doesn't turn herself orange with fake tan, i guess.
DEAR GOD WOMAN WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!
HAng on a second.
DEAR GOD WOMAN

¬.¬

Are you saying that to the witch or to me? Because I'm at least 95% certain I'm not a woman.

This is the internet, no one knows the gender of anyone else unless told.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41395 on: December 15, 2013, 06:23:19 pm »

It says it on my profile, and I think it'd normally be safer to assume an unknown user is male. Accuse me of stereotyping but I'd be willing to bet over 50% of dwarf fortress players are male.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #41396 on: December 15, 2013, 06:50:06 pm »

Real life isn't the movies. There's no such thing as an Instant Death Bullet unless you're using something rediculously large such as a .50 BMG or 20mm cannon. In other words, bigger than anything you're going to be carrying. There have been cases where individuals who aren't even on any kind of drug (which can worsen the problem by deadening pain and reducing logical thought) took multiple hits from police-issue 9mm or .38 special pistols and didn't go down until after they had severely injured the officer in question. There are many documented cases in wartime of people falling over dead an hour after a battle because they didn't even know they were hit (or believed it to be a minor wound). Getting hit with a smaller caliber bullet is only guaranteed to stop you quick if you get hit in an extremely vital spot such as the brain or spinal cord. Even a heart hit may not stop the attacker. It does no good to shoot someone if they don't bleed out until after they've already killed you. THat is why self-defense classes always include some variation on "Once you have drawn your weapon you have committed to using deadly force. Once you start shooting, keep shooting until the target stops moving. Reload if you have to."

As for running away, that's rarely an option, as most of the time you will have already exhausted that option before shooting. In such a case, shooting only makes your situation more dangerous because a wounded attacker is more likely to respond irrationally.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #41397 on: December 15, 2013, 07:51:48 pm »

We CAN actually be assaulted by packs of vicious wild bears. With guns. They're called gangsters, hate groups and drug dealers, and we have plenty of them. It's good to have something more than two shots available if they decide they want to kill you for whatever reason.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41398 on: December 15, 2013, 07:59:42 pm »

A drug dealer would have no reason to randomly attack someone they didn't know. That's just more risk for them, for no appreciable benefit; they don't need the contents of your wallet, and an assault/murder is much more likely to bring them down than selling. If you ripped them off, on the other hand...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41399 on: December 15, 2013, 08:02:07 pm »

A drug dealer would have no reason to randomly attack someone they didn't know. That's just more risk for them, for no appreciable benefit; they don't need the contents of your wallet, and an assault/murder is much more likely to bring them down than selling. If you ripped them off, on the other hand...

See, there you go. Thinking that drug addled psychopaths with guns actually are rational. I've met them. Protip: They're not.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 2758 2759 [2760] 2761 2762 ... 11037