Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2746 2747 [2748] 2749 2750 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14473539 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #41205 on: December 10, 2013, 07:18:45 pm »

If we ourselves are in a simplification of the more complex universe, then this universe would demonstrate signs of simplification for computation. A minimum possible temperature, a maximum possible speed, laws that start to break down at too big or too small values...

Funny thing about those. You can go below 0 kelvin, but negative temperatures are hotter than any positive temperatures. The maximum possible speed is how fast time "moves", which is why it shows up everywhere. The laws that break down at too big or too small values are more issues with our current models than anything.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41206 on: December 10, 2013, 07:46:13 pm »

If it's possible to simulate a simplification of the universe's behaviour, you are not in the least simple universe.
If it's possible to simulate a simplification of the universe's behaviour, you are not in the most complex universe.
I don't understand this. Wouldn't this only mean that we aren't in in the most simple or least complex universe, not the other way around?

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #41207 on: December 10, 2013, 07:50:48 pm »

I don't understand this. Wouldn't this only mean that we aren't in in the most simple or least complex universe, not the other way around?

Oops, I meant "most simple" or "most complex possible" xD That part is still a variation on an old logical fallacy :) If we can simplify the universe, it's not too complex to be impossible to understand and therefore not as complex as possible. But if it's so complex to be unsimulatable, how can we be in a simulation in that universe?

Of course, this leaves two possibilities: The most complex universe is still simplifiable (which makes it possible that is this universe), or we aren't in a simplification.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 07:55:03 pm by MorleyDev »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #41208 on: December 10, 2013, 08:14:20 pm »

DayZ WTFs again.

People are complaining that thanks to DayZ creating the idea of a zombie free-roaming MMO, the floodgates are open and better games with a similar premise are spewing out, making DayZ ultimately irrelevant since the standalone took too long. I question this, because I only know of two games similar to DayZ, one of which is a crap ripoff version. I know the precedence (Doom clones, roguelikes) but I'm refusing to believe that a whole new genre is created just because a few games are aping a successful mod. Mainly because there's no difference in the premises. Once I start seeing things like "DayZ but steampunk fantasy!" or "DayZ but set in a 3rd world nation!" then I'll start thinking that DayZalikes is a genre.

People look for any excuse to say something is doomed just because something about it doesn't suit their tastes. Spend more time developing your game and fixing bugs? Then people start crying about how your game is now the next Duke Nukem, and had such a great idea, but it was wasted on you because you weren't fast enough.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41209 on: December 10, 2013, 08:18:18 pm »

If we ourselves are in a simplification of the more complex universe, then this universe would demonstrate signs of simplification for computation. A minimum possible temperature, a maximum possible speed, laws that start to break down at too big or too small values...

Funny thing about those. You can go below 0 kelvin, but negative temperatures are hotter than any positive temperatures. The maximum possible speed is how fast time "moves", which is why it shows up everywhere. The laws that break down at too big or too small values are more issues with our current models than anything.

So buffer overflow, max frame rate and... rounding errors? Or buffer overflow again. I dunno man, I'm not an Unmoved Mover a programmer.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41211 on: December 10, 2013, 10:24:27 pm »

why
They all look so damn excited. I mean holy shit.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41212 on: December 10, 2013, 10:26:26 pm »

And that, children, is why crack cocaine is one hell of a drug.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41213 on: December 10, 2013, 10:28:35 pm »

So that's how upper-middle-class suburban white people teach their kids about manual labor. With a Wii knockoff.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41214 on: December 10, 2013, 10:32:09 pm »

That's a prank box from Prank Pack. They sell empty boxes with stuff like this on them to fool people for xmas/birthday/whatnot.

Edit: Apparently, according to Wolfeyez, you can buy boxes like these at Walmart.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41215 on: December 11, 2013, 12:28:21 am »

That's a prank box from Prank Pack. They sell empty boxes with stuff like this on them to fool people for xmas/birthday/whatnot.

Edit: Apparently, according to Wolfeyez, you can buy boxes like these at Walmart.

Ah, that makes more sense.

It's still funnier to have a nested series of cardboard boxes, though.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41216 on: December 11, 2013, 12:29:31 am »

Ah, that makes more sense.

It's still funnier to have a nested series of cardboard boxes, though.  :P
All wrapped in Gorilla Tape. Muahaha.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #41217 on: December 11, 2013, 02:29:13 am »

Are you fucking shitting me Attack on Titan?

EDIT: A few episodes later, FUCKING CALLED IT
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 04:22:52 am by Blargityblarg »
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #41218 on: December 11, 2013, 05:44:46 am »

Maybe not that much of a "WTF" but I was still surprised how tough it is to get a plain, warm, Union Jack themed scarf on ebay. Come on UK, give me your merch, New Year's coming.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #41219 on: December 11, 2013, 06:56:00 am »

Pages: 1 ... 2746 2747 [2748] 2749 2750 ... 11037