Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2745 2746 [2747] 2748 2749 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14474817 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #41190 on: December 10, 2013, 04:55:53 pm »

It's not really that crazy from where I'm standing, and I only have the most rudimentary of knowledge when it comes to theoretical physics. Reality is fucking weird. I wonder if Toady is familiar with all of this, I know his dissertation was on (as I recall) theoretical surfaces of small objects.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41191 on: December 10, 2013, 04:58:11 pm »

I only have a theoretical degree in physics, and it makes pretty good sense to me. If it matches our observations and doesn't have any strong contradictory evidence against it, it's certainly better than just saying, "Eh, I'unno what's going on."

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #41192 on: December 10, 2013, 04:58:26 pm »

I remember a bit from Gödel, Escher, Bach that had an actual line from an actual arts magazine. It was hilariously opaque.

It's not really that crazy from where I'm standing, and I only have the most rudimentary of knowledge when it comes to theoretical physics. Reality is fucking weird. I wonder if Toady is familiar with all of this, I know his dissertation was on (as I recall) theoretical surfaces of small objects.

His "Flat Chains in Banach Spaces"... doesn't seem very physics-y to me.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41193 on: December 10, 2013, 05:00:47 pm »

You do know this hypothesis is by scientists

Never said it wasn't.

not that new, and actually a real contender right?

Being old, looking correct, and having people believe it doesn't make it true.

It doesn't mean anything involving machines.

Never said that either.

In any case, moot point. I skimmed the article. Going back and re-reading a second time helped.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #41194 on: December 10, 2013, 05:03:55 pm »

Our work's over science is useless nothing matters.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41195 on: December 10, 2013, 05:12:39 pm »

Nothing is 'true' in the sense that you mean; everything you hold to be true has merely looked correct for a long time. And, if this still looks correct in a few years, it can and will be held as true.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #41196 on: December 10, 2013, 05:20:13 pm »

Nothing is 'true' in the sense that you mean; everything you hold to be true has merely looked correct for a long time. And, if this still looks correct in a few years, it can and will be held as true.

That kind of hypotheses piss me off nonetheless; it seems to me that inability to discern between the map and the territory is a prerequisite to be a quantum physicist.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41197 on: December 10, 2013, 05:25:36 pm »

That kind of hypotheses piss me off nonetheless; it seems to me that inability to discern between the map and the territory is a prerequisite to be a quantum physicist.
So whaddya think is the territory? If all you have is a map, all you have is a map. Pretty simple, actually ;)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #41198 on: December 10, 2013, 05:37:50 pm »

You do know this hypothesis is by scientists
Never said it wasn't.
Yeah you did:
Because, you know, the universe being a holographic projection is MUCH more likely than scientists being wrong.
That was you, saying in sarcasm that scientists are more right than this hypothesis.

But I get you were confused. When you get to this level of theoretical physics, the soundbites to which they are reduced to in popular science (if you can call Nature that) are eerily similar to the enormous amounts of metaphysical bullshit floating around :)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41199 on: December 10, 2013, 05:53:50 pm »

Because, you know, the universe being a holographic projection is MUCH more likely than scientists being wrong.
That was you, saying in sarcasm that scientists are more right than this hypothesis.

Parsing error. "Scientists" referred to the people who proposed the holographic projection theory. Basically, believe whatever scientists say because SCIENCE.

I am TRWTF. It would please me greatly if we could leave the subject of my ignorance behind.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #41200 on: December 10, 2013, 06:55:34 pm »

why

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #41201 on: December 10, 2013, 07:00:33 pm »

It also assumes you have a cat. Clearly its terrible :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #41202 on: December 10, 2013, 07:01:12 pm »

If it's possible to simulate a simplification of the universe's behaviour, you are not in the most simple universe.
If it's possible to simulate a simplification of the universe's behaviour, you are not in the most complex possible universe.
If it's possible to simulate a simplification of the universe's behaviour inside another simplification of the universe's behaviour, you are at least 2 simulations from bottom.

If we ourselves are in a simplification of the more complex universe, then this universe would demonstrate signs of simplification for computation. A minimum possible temperature, a maximum possible speed, laws that start to break down at too big or too small values...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 07:54:26 pm by MorleyDev »

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41203 on: December 10, 2013, 07:12:49 pm »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41204 on: December 10, 2013, 07:16:53 pm »

If we ourselves are in a simplification of the more complex universe, then this universe would demonstrate signs of simplification for computation. A minimum possible temperature, a maximum possible speed, laws that start to break down at too big or too small values...
I see what you did there :P

Since empiricism can only give us information about this universe and science relies on empiricism, science cannot give us knowledge about outside of this universe. We CAN however, make guesses and "what if"s, like what Morley said above. We can say things like "if we're in a simulation then the simulation would require x y and z". We can eliminate specific possibilities out of the infinite possibilities there are.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 2745 2746 [2747] 2748 2749 ... 11037