Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2738 2739 [2740] 2741 2742 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14471656 times)

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #41085 on: December 07, 2013, 08:04:18 pm »

I never realized until today the antipathy I have for first-person writing in fiction.

I've always had a generalised antipathy for 1st - person writing. It always feels like the book is about the author. :P

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41086 on: December 07, 2013, 08:09:09 pm »

I never realized until today the antipathy I have for first-person writing in fiction.

I've always had a generalised antipathy for 1st - person writing. It always feels like the book is about the author. :P

But if it wasn't in first person, a lot of fanfiction would be that slightest bit less terrible, and thus less amusing to mock.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #41087 on: December 07, 2013, 08:39:32 pm »

First person's definitely a much harder "sell", so to speak. Has been forever. That said, I've become inured somewhat over the years, and I've still ran into enough of 'em that were sufficiently good that I'll give 'em a chance, or at the very least no longer immediately run screaming into the hills.

It's definitely something abused by poorly done/barely concealed self-inserts, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #41088 on: December 07, 2013, 09:06:08 pm »

That's the odd thing; I can get used to it during the reading, but if I read something third-person in the meantime, the transition back jars me and fills me with some sort of indescribable discomfort even if I'm enjoying what I'm reading.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41089 on: December 07, 2013, 11:15:55 pm »

I've read some excellent first-person fiction. I think it's generally best done with a 'conversational' kind of style, as though it is the character telling his/her story.

My current WTF: Last night I somehow skipped the 'tipsy' and 'drunk' stages to go straight to 'completely smashed'. Must have been because I was tired.
...Or maybe it was the absinthe. :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #41090 on: December 08, 2013, 02:30:18 am »

thomas the dragonborn

too funny because of the sheer wtf value Dx

(alway posted it originally)

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41091 on: December 08, 2013, 02:34:48 am »

You do tend to run into first-person narrative a lot in the form of bad self-inserts, but I still find it to be a really interesting format when it's done well; it's certainly a much more intimate involvement with the story. It also tends to... eeh, refocus the work to a certain degree from the externalities of the plot onto the internal conflicts of the viewpoint character, since for all intents and purposes the reader is the character, rather than riding along beside them watching things happen.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41092 on: December 08, 2013, 02:59:57 am »

Looking over it, Sherlock Holmes is written in the first person, as it's all from the perspective of Dr Watson. It's interesting to read, though it can be confusing as to whether you're reading an account as they happen (like the character is dictating to a recorder) or you're reading what the character wrote later on. A detail which I find only clarifies itself if the last page says something like "So ends my records of the blah blah blah blah".
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #41093 on: December 08, 2013, 03:15:04 am »

Goddamn it, 4chan. TILE PATTERNS?

I can say no more, lest I violate the forum rules probably, and honestly it's probably funnier to lack context.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #41094 on: December 08, 2013, 03:20:16 am »

So, very recently I learned of a band quite similar to another one I happen to like, and after checking them out I literally yesterday downloaded one of their more well-known song.

But still, as far as bands that were big in the Seventies, this one faded into obscurity for the most part.

Today, as I muster the strength to properly wake up, guess what I hear? THAT EXACT SONG PLAYING OVER THE GODDAMN RADIO.

What are the odds?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #41095 on: December 08, 2013, 03:21:00 am »

Looking over it, Sherlock Holmes is written in the first person, as it's all from the perspective of Dr Watson. It's interesting to read, though it can be confusing as to whether you're reading an account as they happen (like the character is dictating to a recorder) or you're reading what the character wrote later on. A detail which I find only clarifies itself if the last page says something like "So ends my records of the blah blah blah blah".

I like it when there's a framing device that explains it, such as Frankenstein.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41096 on: December 08, 2013, 03:21:41 am »

Goddamn it, 4chan. TILE PATTERNS?

I can say no more, lest I violate the forum rules probably, and honestly it's probably funnier to lack context.
After utilizing Google, I can say that I agree with your statement.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41097 on: December 08, 2013, 05:28:34 am »

A detail which I find only clarifies itself if the last page says something like "So ends my records of the blah blah blah blah".
Hound of the Baskervilles explicitly states that the first few chapters are written from part of a journal.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #41098 on: December 08, 2013, 06:28:44 am »

But if it wasn't in first person, a lot of fanfiction would be that slightest bit less terrible, and thus less amusing to mock.
I dunno, first person makes the narrator feel much closer, at the cost of reducing reader interest in the narrator, since they know all about the narrator and thus don't need to know more.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41099 on: December 08, 2013, 07:40:43 am »

I only have a problem with dialogue in 1st person. All the 'I say/saids' just feel awkward. Otherwise, though, I have no problem with it. Writing in 1st person is nicely different if you're used to 3rd, too.

2nd person writing, though...
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!
Pages: 1 ... 2738 2739 [2740] 2741 2742 ... 11037