Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2737 2738 [2739] 2740 2741 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14473699 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #41070 on: December 07, 2013, 04:06:13 pm »

Next thing you know, candy canes will be pulled from shelves because they look like guns and TNT sticks. (I hope to God I'm not right about this eventually. Would make sense now, seeing as our country suffers from Hoplophobia. Which, in that case, I'm surprised 9/11 didn't cause mass-aerophobia or mass-batophobia seeing how sensitive people over here are lately.)

>_______>

Yeah, that's totally what the US is suffering from.
Love, scriver~

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41071 on: December 07, 2013, 04:30:47 pm »

Next thing you know, candy canes will be pulled from shelves because they look like guns and TNT sticks. (I hope to God I'm not right about this eventually. Would make sense now, seeing as our country suffers from Hoplophobia. Which, in that case, I'm surprised 9/11 didn't cause mass-aerophobia or mass-batophobia seeing how sensitive people over here are lately.)

I've never understood the aversion to guns. We see them enough in media and those aren't bring removed...

Coming from the term who grew up on his father's copy of Doom and halo :P

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41072 on: December 07, 2013, 04:31:15 pm »

>_______>

We kinda sorta do in public schools. I remember bending a paperclip into the shape of a sword in elementary school and being told by the teacher that I needed to get rid of it or I could get in trouble. Nowadays bringing a popgun can get you suspended.

Even Fox calls BS on this sometimes.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #41073 on: December 07, 2013, 04:32:32 pm »

BECAUSE THERE DAMN WELL SHOULD HAVE BEEN
John Stalvern waited. The lights in the hallway flickered and waned against the moonlight. There were Hoplites in the house. He didn’t see them, but he had expected them now for years. He warned Dean Jonson that giving all the dorms Greek names would attract the attention of the Argives and he didn't listen. And now it was too late. Far too late.
John was an engineering student for four years. When he was young he watched the cars go by and he said to his dad “I want to be an engineer daddy.”
But his Dad said “No! You will BE KILL BY HOPLITES!”
There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got older he stopped. He had dreams to fulfill, a career to pursue. He thought his Dad was wrong, until he started seeing the signs. An amphora full of wine at his door. A phalanx caught in the corner of his eye every time he walked home alone and stared back into the rustling foliage beyond, beyond the window where the Hoplites were. He tried to tell them, he tried to get them to listen; but now in the Dormitory of Alpha-Sigma-Kappa he knew there were Hoplites.
“Jon ur l8 2 da party.” The message startled him back into animated motion. “were r u!”
John didn't care anymore; he got his keys and stormed out the front door heading towards the campus party. It would be the only safe place in the end.
“Θα πάρουμε το κρασί σας!” said the Hoplites.
“SEND OUT YOUR CHAMPION!” The Ouragos bellowed as he sent airborne the cruel bronze of a javelin. John leaped backwards and raised his arms in defence, awaiting the strike that would surely finish him.
The javelin hit its mark.
The javelin failed to kill John, the thick armour of the mathematics textbook clasped in his grasping hands having saved his life at the last moment.
“No! I must get drunk!” John shouted.
The Ouragos said “No, John. You are the ekdromoi.”
And then John was a hoplite.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41074 on: December 07, 2013, 04:32:53 pm »

I had that in primary school. We couldn't pretend to be soldiers in the playground or draw guns or anything. My dad played "Japs and Commandos" with his friends as a boy, it's sad how times change.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41075 on: December 07, 2013, 04:35:54 pm »

>_______>

We kinda sorta do in public schools. I remember bending a paperclip into the shape of a sword in elementary school and being told by the teacher that I needed to get rid of it or I could get in trouble. Nowadays bringing a popgun can get you suspended.

Even Fox calls BS on this sometimes.

What a bunch of bullshit. People are fucking psychotic.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41076 on: December 07, 2013, 04:36:53 pm »

I had that in primary school. We couldn't pretend to be soldiers in the playground or draw guns or anything. My dad played "Japs and Commandos" with his friends as a boy, it's sad how times change.
Well those games are often unfortunately named in a racist manner. That's not the reason they're disallowed though.

On the other hand they usually devolved into "I shot you first!" "No I shot you!" so I don't care much :P
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #41077 on: December 07, 2013, 04:37:05 pm »

That's been a core feature of the GTA series for a long time. In San Andreas, one of my favorite pastimes was to shoot a bunch of people, then jump off a cliff into the water. The cop cars would come barreling over the cliff after me and plunge into the water, killing the cops (only the PC and companions could swim in SA.) Continuously.
I will never forget when I enabled the flying cars cheat in SA and made a fire on top of an oil rig or mining facility in the middle of nowhere or something. A fire truck flew over me.

Also, the ambulances ALWAYS tried to hit you.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #41078 on: December 07, 2013, 04:43:32 pm »

That's been a core feature of the GTA series for a long time. In San Andreas, one of my favorite pastimes was to shoot a bunch of people, then jump off a cliff into the water. The cop cars would come barreling over the cliff after me and plunge into the water, killing the cops (only the PC and companions could swim in SA.) Continuously.
I will never forget when I enabled the flying cars cheat in SA and made a fire on top of an oil rig or mining facility in the middle of nowhere or something. A fire truck flew over me.

Also, the ambulances ALWAYS tried to hit you.

In GTA IV the ambulance drivers would kill about half their patients by running right over the top of them. :P

AI programming must be exceptionally difficult.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #41079 on: December 07, 2013, 05:00:37 pm »

People seem legitimately angry about survivor 2299 being fake even though it was bleeding obvious.

I mean, you carry hope because they use cyphers in morse code (hint: password is REDDIT)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41080 on: December 07, 2013, 05:01:53 pm »

People seem legitimately angry about survivor 2299 being fake even though it was bleeding obvious.

I mean, you carry hope because they use cyphers in morse code (hint: password is REDDIT)
What was Survivor2299?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #41081 on: December 07, 2013, 05:02:57 pm »

An ARG based off of Fallout. People believed it was official.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #41082 on: December 07, 2013, 07:01:05 pm »

Advertisements have informed me that there apparently exists an app controlled paintball drone. I am entirely unsure what to think, beyond... doesn't that, like, defeat the purpose?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41083 on: December 07, 2013, 07:15:36 pm »

Advertisements have informed me that there apparently exists an app controlled paintball drone. I am entirely unsure what to think, beyond... doesn't that, like, defeat the purpose?
There is a DS game about collecting shaped rubber bands. These things exist.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #41084 on: December 07, 2013, 07:27:57 pm »

I never realized until today the antipathy I have for first-person writing in fiction.
Pages: 1 ... 2737 2738 [2739] 2740 2741 ... 11037