Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2721 2722 [2723] 2724 2725 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14441124 times)

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #40830 on: December 02, 2013, 03:39:42 pm »

While you're at it, niger seed (common for birdfeeders) was so named because the plant was first cultivated in Ethiopia, and because the local word for it is noog, which went through the loanword grist mill and entered English as "niger" (prounounced like the country, probably through misattribution).

However, because of people who jumped on the "THAT'S RACIST" bandwagon (and no doubt some awkward pronunciation faux pas), you will never find it labeled as such in America these days. Now it's "nyjer seed".
I've also discovered that teachers of certain languages are apprehensive about teaching that language's word for "black". Spanish "negro" and Latin "niger" are, of course, the most avoided, but they're not alone.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40831 on: December 02, 2013, 03:46:13 pm »

While you're at it, niger seed (common for birdfeeders) was so named because the plant was first cultivated in Ethiopia, and because the local word for it is noog, which went through the loanword grist mill and entered English as "niger" (prounounced like the country, probably through misattribution).

However, because of people who jumped on the "THAT'S RACIST" bandwagon (and no doubt some awkward pronunciation faux pas), you will never find it labeled as such in America these days. Now it's "nyjer seed".
I've also discovered that teachers of certain languages are apprehensive about teaching that language's word for "black". Spanish "negro" and Latin "niger" are, of course, the most avoided, but they're not alone.
This didn't come up in German at first, with the word for "black" being "schwarz". Then, we found out that the word "schwarzfahrer", meaning "black rider", is a term used to mean freeloader in Germany (usually in the context of somebody breaking the honor system on public transportation). That was slightly awkward. And then our instructor showed us this, which plays on and parodies the potential racism of the term (watch it until the end or you won't get it).
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40832 on: December 02, 2013, 03:49:26 pm »

Lovecraft continues to confuse the hell out of me. On one hand, raging antisemite. On the other hand, married a Ukrainian Jew.
If I recall correctly, he mellowed out as he got older - his later works tend to be less racist than his earlier ones. Still not ideal, but he was capable of self-improvement.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #40833 on: December 02, 2013, 03:59:00 pm »

Also. most of the explicitly racist stuff (as opposed to things like the Deep Ones that can carry a racial undertone) attributed to him wasn't his. A ton of the stuff he edited for magazines and such got his name tacked on when he exploded into popularity in the 70s and 80s.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40834 on: December 02, 2013, 04:03:49 pm »

I'm not really sure if you can consider the Deep Ones racist. Interracial marriages do not result in children suddenly metamorphosing into fish people on their fortieth birthday.
Spoiler: Plus- (click to show/hide)

No racial symbolism really works with it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40835 on: December 02, 2013, 04:14:51 pm »

This didn't come up in German at first, with the word for "black" being "schwarz". Then, we found out that the word "schwarzfahrer", meaning "black rider", is a term used to mean freeloader in Germany (usually in the context of somebody breaking the honor system on public transportation). That was slightly awkward. And then our instructor showed us this, which plays on and parodies the potential racism of the term (watch it until the end or you won't get it).
Hehe. There is also "Schwarzarbeit", literally "black work", which means unreported employment. None of these terms have any racial connotation though.
Funnily goths are often referred to as "Schwarze" too due to their black clothes and have embraced the term, which has in some cases led to some very disappointed black GIs staring at a bunch of thin pale black-clothed people where they expected some entirely other kind of "black music".

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40836 on: December 02, 2013, 04:27:35 pm »

"THAT'S RACIST" bandwagon
Always hated those people. If you say anything even slightly related (like saying someone has black/brown skin) whilst near them, they'll say you're being racist, despite the fact there's... not really any way of saying it otherwise. It'd be like saying someone's prejudiced for saying they have blonde hair.
There have actually been cases on the news I've seen where people will refuse to say that a suspect/victim was black, out of fear that they would be accused as being a racist.

It's starting to hamper the enforcement of the law, it's so bad.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #40837 on: December 02, 2013, 04:32:00 pm »

The obvious answer is to only refer to people's heritage rather then to them directly; "He appeared to have african heritage" is a true statement, and it's difficult to find anything that could be construed as racism there. ;)

That said I do agree that it's reached the "stupid" levels.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #40838 on: December 02, 2013, 04:42:37 pm »

No, greatorder. You are the racists.
And then greatorder was a zombie.

:P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40839 on: December 02, 2013, 04:43:22 pm »

ARE YOU AGAINST ZOMBIES??? YOU RACIST
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #40840 on: December 02, 2013, 04:44:51 pm »

ARE YOU AGAINST ZOMBIES??? YOU RACIST

Vitalist.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #40841 on: December 02, 2013, 05:18:23 pm »

Hehe. There is also "Schwarzarbeit", literally "black work", which means unreported employment. None of these terms have any racial connotation though.
Funnily goths are often referred to as "Schwarze" too due to their black clothes and have embraced the term, which has in some cases led to some very disappointed black GIs staring at a bunch of thin pale black-clothed people where they expected some entirely other kind of "black music".
Does "GI" have a different meaning where you're from? Because in America, it almost universally refers to members of the military or things related to them, though I'm not sure if that works in this context, but I'm not sure what else it would mean.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40842 on: December 02, 2013, 05:26:08 pm »

There used to be - and still are - American soldiers in Germany. That lead to some problems with racism right after the war - but in general prejudice against blacks has never been a big issue in Germany. Mostly because there's so few of them.

Also, we have Turks for that.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40843 on: December 02, 2013, 05:27:50 pm »

Does "GI" have a different meaning where you're from? Because in America, it almost universally refers to members of the military or things related to them, though I'm not sure if that works in this context, but I'm not sure what else it would mean.
No, I was referring to actual American GIs. I used to hang out in a club near a US military base. Sometimes a few (mostly black) Americans would come in, take a look around and leave. I suspect this was due to the fact that they misinterpreted ads for the "black" parties there.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40844 on: December 02, 2013, 05:49:38 pm »

No, I was referring to actual American GIs. I used to hang out in a club near a US military base. Sometimes a few (mostly black) Americans would come in, take a look around and leave. I suspect this was due to the fact that they misinterpreted ads for the "black" parties there.
That is something I would love to have witnessed.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 2721 2722 [2723] 2724 2725 ... 11040