Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2720 2721 [2722] 2723 2724 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14441955 times)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #40815 on: December 02, 2013, 12:38:42 pm »

Not a suggestion. Tolkein explicitly described orcs in one of his letters as "squat, broad, flat-nosed, sallow-skinned, with wide mouths and slant eyes; in fact degraded and repulsive versions of the (to Europeans) least lovely Mongol-types."
Right, I might have read that somewhere. Pretty much matches contemporary descriptions of the Huns, I guess, which is where that image originated.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40816 on: December 02, 2013, 02:00:52 pm »

On that subject I am quite interested to hear of contemporary Mongolian culture.

I do know that they were quite sophisticated back in the Gangis Kahn day.

So far as I know, there's a lot of cultural strife between the more traditional nomadic peoples and the massive foreign-owned (mostly China) mining companies that tend to run everything. Add in the remnants of Soviet-era politics, rampant poverty and a growing population of disaffected youth, and you get things like that environazi party. Find and watch the movie Khadak if you enjoy weirdly surreal and/or depressing films.

But hey! We get some kickass music out of all that suffering o_o
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #40817 on: December 02, 2013, 02:36:35 pm »

It's a rather offensive and racist association that I'm surprised to see persist today, frankly, though mongols were referred to as barbaric (possibly inbred, in regards to the term?) for a rather long time, by authors including Lovecraft, if I'm not mistaken.

Lovecraft was anglocentric supremacist as hell, though, so he's not the best example.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40818 on: December 02, 2013, 02:42:28 pm »

Lovecraft was a pretty terrible guy.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40819 on: December 02, 2013, 02:46:57 pm »

It's a fun word if you don't consider the connotations, which is perhaps why it still rattles around today, perhaps like the term niggardly, which is to be poor and stingy, which we're still being taught in AP English courses.

That word is of entirely different derivation from any racial epithet. The similarity is purely coincidental.
Indeed. There's plenty of racism out there, but people who object to "niggardly" are trying to create more where was none.

Kind of like Tumblr slacktivists in that regard.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #40820 on: December 02, 2013, 02:53:04 pm »

Kinda like Poe in that regard. My response after reading an anthology of Poe at the age of 12:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40821 on: December 02, 2013, 03:01:30 pm »

Kinda like Poe in that regard. My response after reading an anthology of Poe at the age of 12:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Poe had a whole bushel of problems. It's part of why his stuff makes for such interesting reading.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #40822 on: December 02, 2013, 03:08:11 pm »

It's a fun word if you don't consider the connotations, which is perhaps why it still rattles around today, perhaps like the term niggardly, which is to be poor and stingy, which we're still being taught in AP English courses.

That word is of entirely different derivation from any racial epithet. The similarity is purely coincidental.
Indeed. There's plenty of racism out there, but people who object to "niggardly" are trying to create more where was none.

Not nearly as bad as the false etymology of "picnic" that people keep trying to claim.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #40823 on: December 02, 2013, 03:12:19 pm »

Not nearly as bad as the false etymology of "picnic" that people keep trying to claim.
Which one is this?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #40824 on: December 02, 2013, 03:20:35 pm »

I think the thing about "niggardly" is that it's a complete etymological coincidence. It shares no linguistic background with any ethnic slurs.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #40825 on: December 02, 2013, 03:23:06 pm »

Which one is this?

Awhile back, some "genius" started spreading (by email) the claim that "picnic" is short for "pick a nigger" and refers to the honorable Southern practice of lynching someone every Sunday. It's a claim that still crops up to this day.

http://www.snopes.com/language/offense/picnic.asp
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40826 on: December 02, 2013, 03:27:42 pm »

I think the thing about "niggardly" is that it's a complete etymological coincidence. It shares no linguistic background with any ethnic slurs.
This. People assumed that because they sound similar they share an etymological root, which is a complete falsehood. IIRC the root "nig" is believed to be originally drawn from an Old Norse word for "stingy", and a quick check says that it's related to the Old English word hneaw.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40827 on: December 02, 2013, 03:36:55 pm »

Yes, you're a terrible person.  :P

While you're at it, niger seed (common for birdfeeders) was so named because the plant was first cultivated in Ethiopia, and because the local word for it is noog, which went through the loanword grist mill and entered English as "niger" (prounounced like the country, probably through misattribution).

However, because of people who jumped on the "THAT'S RACIST" bandwagon (and no doubt some awkward pronunciation faux pas), you will never find it labeled as such in America these days. Now it's "nyjer seed".

Awhile back, some "genius" started spreading (by email) the claim that "picnic" is short for "pick a nigger" and refers to the honorable Southern practice of lynching someone every Sunday. It's a claim that still crops up to this day.

http://www.snopes.com/language/offense/picnic.asp
As a Southerner, I take great offense to this maladroit libel!

We did that on Tuesdays. >_>
(Now I'm a terrible person...)

Which reminds me of a great one-liner by a black comedian who mentioned moving to Lynchburg, VA.
"Lynchburg?!?? Aw hell man, I just left Tar-and-Featherville!"  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40828 on: December 02, 2013, 03:37:38 pm »

Lovecraft continues to confuse the hell out of me. On one hand, raging antisemite. On the other hand, married a Ukrainian Jew.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40829 on: December 02, 2013, 03:38:31 pm »

Lovecraft continues to confuse the hell out of me. On one hand, raging antisemite. On the other hand, married a Ukrainian Jew.
I dunno, seems pretty simple to me. Just reverse the order of those conditions.  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 2720 2721 [2722] 2723 2724 ... 11040