Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2629 2630 [2631] 2632 2633 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14463551 times)

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #39450 on: October 29, 2013, 04:13:10 pm »

It's almost like YHWH's a level 20 Wizard trying to prevent anyone else from becoming wizards to challenge him.
This make far more sense than it should. Oh, and he's probably Lawful Neutral. Lawful's obvious, given how taken the guy is with his rules. That aside, remember that he kicked Adam and Eve out of the garden of Eden for eating apples of Knowledge (Good/Evil).  :P

Dare I?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
He ordered one of his followers to do something, clearly expecting it to be carried out. His follower promptly did so. He then revealed it to be a test of loyalty and told his follower to do something different as a reward (which he did). Lawful.

He did something cruel (ordered a follower to kill their child in his name) with good intentions--from his perspective, anyways--and, when his intention was fulfilled, did something good (allowed the follower to kill an animal in his name, which was common practice for worship at the time, and thus about as Good as you'll get in the historical context). He favored neither good nor evil, using them as tools for his own ends. Neutral.

Still kind of a dick move to trick your loyal follower into thinking he needs to murder his son. You can't get around that. (To be technical, the intention ("sacrifice your son to prove your loyalty") wasn't fulfilled; God just said "HEY HEY WOAH, you didn't think I actually meant for you to kill your son, did you? Oh man, the look on your face!" at the last moment.*)

I agree with Mephisto's general point, and it's one I've come to as well:

(Abrahamic) God is a jerk.

And on Adam and Eve: pretty hilarious to tell them not to eat from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. Hope they understand it's evil to disobey you.

I'd actually love to write a book that just rips apart the Bible stories to shreds. It would be fun :) .

I've actually started it, only got through Genesis 1 so far. I'll pick it up again when I'm in the mood once more.

*Preferably in an operatic baritone voice :)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 04:17:25 pm by lue »
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #39451 on: October 29, 2013, 04:15:50 pm »

it's getting pretty euphoric in here, but I suppose, having started it, I've nothing to complain about

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39452 on: October 29, 2013, 05:05:41 pm »

Helping a friend with physics homework.

I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39453 on: October 29, 2013, 05:09:16 pm »

WTF is right. What does classical children's literature have to do with physics?

;D

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #39454 on: October 29, 2013, 05:10:45 pm »

do not destroy its trees by putting an ax to them, because you can eat their fruit. Do not cut them down. Are the trees people, that you should besiege them?

Say what you say about God, but he's not a treekiller xD
It's almost like he values trees above humans...

It's not that the trees are more valuable per-say. He's just pointing out that it would be pretty stupid for the Israelites to destroy the orchards of the lands they are capturing.

If I recall there are prohibitions elsewhere against salting farmland, which some other cultures did, which would destoy the lands ability to to produce crops for many years. He seems to want to keep destruction localized to the actual combatants without harming the land or the welfare of future generations. I always got the feeling that if they had existed at the time he also would have prohibited the nation of Israel from using landmines.

It's almost like YHWH's a level 20 Wizard trying to prevent anyone else from becoming wizards to challenge him.
This make far more sense than it should. Oh, and he's probably Lawful Neutral. Lawful's obvious, given how taken the guy is with his rules. That aside, remember that he kicked Adam and Eve out of the garden of Eden for eating apples of Knowledge (Good/Evil).  :P

Dare I?

He ordered one of his followers to do something, clearly expecting it to be carried out. His follower promptly did so. He then revealed it to be a test of loyalty and told his follower to do something different as a reward (which he did). Lawful.

He did something cruel (ordered a follower to kill their child in his name) with good intentions--from his perspective, anyways--and, when his intention was fulfilled, did something good (allowed the follower to kill an animal in his name, which was common practice for worship at the time, and thus about as Good as you'll get in the historical context). He favored neither good nor evil, using them as tools for his own ends. Neutral.

Yes that's a rough account to understand for most modern people. Many people understand it as foreshadowing of what Jehovah himself would later do, allowing HIS own son to be sacrificed for the good of humanity. In that context it's a bit less WTF. Because he was (a) making a point and (b) not asking Abram to do anything He wouldn't do.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #39455 on: October 29, 2013, 05:15:16 pm »

I just realized that I can identify 5 different synthesizers (C64, Adlib, NES, SNES, and Genesis) after hearing a brief snippet of music. This sometimes fails with cross-patform games, but not often even then.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39456 on: October 29, 2013, 05:17:29 pm »

Even more WTF is that as soon as I read the problem, this song popped into my head.

AND NOW IT WON'T LEAVE

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #39457 on: October 29, 2013, 05:23:28 pm »

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39458 on: October 29, 2013, 05:25:53 pm »

This scares me, because I look at this 'problem' and see only a list of information.  I don't see a problem.  No question's being asked, there's no variable left unsolved that I spot...  I guess I fail?
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #39459 on: October 29, 2013, 05:28:27 pm »

I assume the question is beneath the drawing.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39460 on: October 29, 2013, 05:34:09 pm »

I assume the question is beneath the drawing.

Yes.

And the WTF is with the properties of B12. The story couldn't have happened on a tiny asteroid. :(.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39461 on: October 29, 2013, 05:34:18 pm »

Did anybody else notice that the asteroid is called B12?

Do you guys know what this means?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39462 on: October 29, 2013, 05:36:05 pm »

It means that it's called B12.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #39463 on: October 29, 2013, 05:36:09 pm »

It means I'm a little princess ༼இɷஇ༽

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39464 on: October 29, 2013, 05:46:00 pm »

It means I'm a little princess ༼இɷஇ༽
What is that thing?

It scares me.
It's a princess. A horribly deformed princess in screaming agony, if my eyes don't deceive me.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v
Pages: 1 ... 2629 2630 [2631] 2632 2633 ... 11040