Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2577 2578 [2579] 2580 2581 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14440250 times)

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #38670 on: October 12, 2013, 09:30:28 pm »

Watched 5000 fingers of Dr. T today...

Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #38671 on: October 12, 2013, 09:30:46 pm »

I can just imagine a flaming tarantula sinking its half-inch long fangs into your tender flesh as it sets your clothes on fire.
This one knows the truth of reality. Setting spiders on fire does not stop them. It merely makes them flaming and angry.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38672 on: October 13, 2013, 12:02:41 am »

So, I keep having the thought.

What if you had the powers of a level 20 spellcaster (All spells, all types. Divine, Arcane, Druid, all of them.), albeit you had a limit to the amount of spells you could cast, just not a limit on specific spells. For all spells that had a XP cost, you simply didn't have to pay an XP cost, but you DO have to have an equivalent amount of money to make up for it. (I'd count 1000 XP as worth 100 gp, so you'd have to find a LOT of gold or valuable materials... But you are a spellcaster who can cast Wall of Iron...) You had metamagic Quicken, Still, and Silent, but no other metamagic or applicable feats. You could pick and choose which version of DnD your spells worked according to.

Exactly how much good, or evil, could you do with this?

With 2ed ADnD, I could simply cast Protection from Normal Missiles, and be immune to all guns forever with the application of Permanency. This combined with Protection from Elements of some sort, would make most modern weaponry pretty useless.

I don't know, I just keep thinking about it, and I'd like to discuss it. :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #38673 on: October 13, 2013, 12:08:17 am »

Are you familiar with the Tippyverse? You'd essentially be able to create the technological framework for it singlehandedly, although you probably wouldn't cause the economic changes that go with it, so there'd be some spillover into other areas of civilization that are related to economics.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38674 on: October 13, 2013, 12:22:23 am »

I am somewhat familiar with it, yeah. And yes, you could just go around creating Teleport Circles permanently in every city, town, village, and hovel. And you could create as much Salt and Iron as you wanted, which would... Somewhat unbalance the economy a bit, but not a huge amount.

Also, since I didn't restrict the spell type or anything, you could also permanently eradicate all diseases and heal people from the brink of death, or even BRING PEOPLE BACK TO LIFE. Hell, I think you could even reverse aging, but I can't be sure. Not to mention go explore ANYWHERE IN THE UNIVERSE YOU WANTED.

"Hey, guys, do you ever wonder what Alpha Centauri looks like? Put on that space suit. Greater Teleport. THAT'S WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE MOTHERFUCKERS. Greater Teleport. So. How'd you like MOTHERFUCKING INSTANT SPACE TRAVEL?!"
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38675 on: October 13, 2013, 12:37:16 am »

So, I keep having the thought.

What if you had the powers of a level 20 spellcaster (All spells, all types. Divine, Arcane, Druid, all of them.), albeit you had a limit to the amount of spells you could cast, just not a limit on specific spells. For all spells that had a XP cost, you simply didn't have to pay an XP cost, but you DO have to have an equivalent amount of money to make up for it. (I'd count 1000 XP as worth 100 gp, so you'd have to find a LOT of gold or valuable materials... But you are a spellcaster who can cast Wall of Iron...) You had metamagic Quicken, Still, and Silent, but no other metamagic or applicable feats. You could pick and choose which version of DnD your spells worked according to.

Exactly how much good, or evil, could you do with this?

With 2ed ADnD, I could simply cast Protection from Normal Missiles, and be immune to all guns forever with the application of Permanency. This combined with Protection from Elements of some sort, would make most modern weaponry pretty useless.

I don't know, I just keep thinking about it, and I'd like to discuss it. :P

Gold, huh.

If your lore allows, you could just materialize someone's dreams of a fountain of gold by forcing them to sleep for a while and throwing some dust on their faces.

spell abuses: trivialized

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38676 on: October 13, 2013, 12:37:39 am »

Teleport, Greater
Conjuration (Teleportation)
Level:    Sor/Wiz 7, Travel 7

This spell functions like teleport, except that there is no range limit and there is no chance you arrive off target. In addition, you need not have seen the destination, but in that case you must have at least a reliable description of the place to which you are teleporting. If you attempt to teleport with insufficient information (or with misleading information), you disappear and simply reappear in your original location. Interplanar travel is not possible.
._.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38677 on: October 13, 2013, 12:41:16 am »

Teleport, Greater
Conjuration (Teleportation)
Level:    Sor/Wiz 7, Travel 7

This spell functions like teleport, except that there is no range limit and there is no chance you arrive off target. In addition, you need not have seen the destination, but in that case you must have at least a reliable description of the place to which you are teleporting. If you attempt to teleport with insufficient information (or with misleading information), you disappear and simply reappear in your original location. Interplanar travel is not possible.

Note that it says nothing about interstellar travel.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38678 on: October 13, 2013, 12:41:55 am »

Still doesn't solve the "insufficient information" problem.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38679 on: October 13, 2013, 12:42:47 am »

you must have at least a reliable description of the place to which you are teleporting
How you would describe a place on Alpha Centauri?

EDIT:ninjad
._.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38680 on: October 13, 2013, 12:44:15 am »

Some knowledge of basic astronomy would solve that. Plus, divination spells. :v

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38681 on: October 13, 2013, 12:51:10 am »

EDIT: I didn't noticed that the spellcaster in question has ALL the spell lists. That's OP as hell.

EDIT2:
Quote from: d20srd
Divination
...The advice can be as simple as a short phrase, or it might take the form of a cryptic rhyme or omen...
This might be problematic.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 12:55:11 am by Sergarr »
._.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38682 on: October 13, 2013, 12:58:42 am »

We already have confirmed the existence of several potential life-bearing planets in relatively nearby systems. A "reliable description" could potentially mean information that could be garnered through conventional methods. More importantly, you could use Scrying or Greater Scrying if the planet bears life (secondhand knowledge of the subject, defined as "you have heard of the subject", could possibly be extrapolated from known information on the conditions of the world, and what sort of life would likely evolve. Alternatively, you could build a sublight probe, plant an Arcane Eye on board, and check in every few score years. Given the potential for achieving immortality, even if scry-to-teleport/conventional-information-to-teleport doesn't work, you could still get to another solar system after a few centuries of time, though it'd be something of a gamble in regards to potential for human life.

With Greater Teleport you can move 1 Medium-sized being and their equipment per caster level, and Teleport Object lets you do the same with a limit of 50lb and 3 cubic feet of volume per level. If you locate a planet that can sustain human life and devote as many spell slots as possible to Greater Teleport and Teleport Object (neither of which has a stated maximum range for the TP), you could set up a self-sustaining colony much more rapidly and securely than you could with ramjet sleeper ships or generation ships. And forget sending out one Arcane Eye probe, send out thousands over the course of years, with a well-ordered record of them.

Best case scenario, you find a habitable world with conventional means and have sufficient detail to teleport/scry-to-teleport onto it. Bam, colonization at the cost of a few spell slots, without ever needing to get into orbit, much less cross interstellar space. Worst case, you take a path to immortality and wait a few centuries until you can start founding colonies. Hell, maybe they'll invent a workable FTL drive in that time.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #38683 on: October 13, 2013, 01:38:57 am »

Immortal superwizards can construct interstellar teleportation circles or gates so that the mere mortal civilizations can tag along on the intergalactic tour extravaganza.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #38684 on: October 13, 2013, 02:17:20 am »

Somebody needs to turn this into a campaign setting NOW.

Magical space race, ho!

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 2577 2578 [2579] 2580 2581 ... 11040