Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2539 2540 [2541] 2542 2543 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14439822 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #38100 on: September 29, 2013, 11:57:24 am »

After a period of internal debating and overcoming the issue of supply, yesterday I have finally bought Rocksmith (Ubisoft game. Pretty much Guitar Hero except on real guitar).

Half an hour ago after closing it, I looked at Steam and found out I have played it for 9 hours over two days. And that typing is now slightly painful.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #38101 on: September 29, 2013, 12:07:41 pm »

Buy a guitar-shaped keyboard. Problem solved.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #38102 on: September 29, 2013, 12:12:49 pm »

Buy a guitar-shaped keyboard. Problem solved.

That's not only against the entire point of playing it, but is actually impossible. The game requires you to use techniques that are only possible on strings. You're not going to bend a keyboard when the game expects you to bend a string (although I would enjoy seeing someone try).

Besides, it's a good pain.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #38103 on: September 29, 2013, 12:26:48 pm »

I ment for typing, not for playing the game.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #38104 on: September 29, 2013, 01:23:24 pm »

I've actually tried playing Rocksmith with a keyboard. Bending can be done by playing the note a half step up where you would normally bend. Harmonics you'll just have to memorize what notes the harmonics are, hehe. IIRC, it's either an acoustic scale* or a dominant seventh chord**; the former contains the latter anyway.

*Lydian b7, or major ♯4 b7; see the Simpsons theme for an example in music.

**Characterized by a major third and minor seventh diminished fifth interval, like B and F for a G7 chord.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #38105 on: September 29, 2013, 01:28:50 pm »

I ment for typing, not for playing the game.

Actually, I suspect that with some tinkering, someone could provide mapping for tone -> keypress. The obvious issue is that you could only use 16 letters if you used semitones.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #38106 on: September 29, 2013, 01:44:11 pm »

Use a few tones as an alt/shift/ctrl equivalent? You'd cut down the base symbols but add in a multiplier.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38107 on: September 29, 2013, 01:52:42 pm »

Reaching a maximum of 2^16=65536 symbols, yes.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #38108 on: September 29, 2013, 02:06:07 pm »

Use a few tones as an alt/shift/ctrl equivalent? You'd cut down the base symbols but add in a multiplier.

Would be simpler to base it on chords, seeing how there's quite a number of possible chords for each semitone, and you could probably type even the special characters with the more obscure and/or difficult chords (To type ╔, play Em(Maj7)Add9Add11Add13! Good luck, you'll need some!).

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #38109 on: September 29, 2013, 03:07:40 pm »

Em(Maj7)Add9Add11Add13? That would, on a guitar, be

Not hard at all! On a keyboard, it's even easier: an E minor chord with a D#m7b5 chord on top (E G B D# F# A C#)

(also thank you because I finally get to flex my jazz guitar muscles :3)

Anyway, a real obscure one would be the DF theme (song_game.ogg)'s infamous first chord, an F#m/maj7add9\B played (capo on second fret):

« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 03:14:26 pm by Putnam »

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38111 on: September 29, 2013, 09:26:58 pm »

Wow, this is just about the shittiest game I've ever laid eyes on recently.
What's so shitty about it? I mean, it looks cheesy and I wouldn't play it, but you evidently have seen very few games recently if that's the shittiest one you can think of.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #38112 on: September 29, 2013, 09:33:50 pm »

More annoying then anything else to me is "Your progression has been autosaved". Because "Your progress was saved" wasn't good enough.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38113 on: September 29, 2013, 09:33:53 pm »

What's so shitty about it? I mean, it looks cheesy and I wouldn't play it, but you evidently have seen very few games recently if that's the shittiest one you can think of.
I guess I do have seen pretty few games recently, but this game has overwhelmingly shitty story, shitty level design, shitty game mechanics, Quicktime events, and shitty balance. I'd say shitty graphics too but decent graphics are hard as fuck.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #38114 on: September 29, 2013, 09:40:38 pm »

... yeah. Just... browse through the one/two star stuff on pretty much any flash game aggregate site. Kongregate, newsgrounds, armorgames... whatever. You'll find worse. Low quality flash games are a rabbit hole of excrement that never stops spewing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 2539 2540 [2541] 2542 2543 ... 11040