Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2532 2533 [2534] 2535 2536 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14433006 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #37995 on: September 26, 2013, 01:31:52 pm »

A couple of days ago I got a call from my company's placement people. They had an opening for a local-only driver near my home, and wanted to know if I was interested. The upside of such a posting is that I'd be home almost every single night rather than once every three weeks or so. Since I was a little busy at the time, I told them that I was enjoying the whole traveling across the country thing, and it was what I got into trucking for in the first place. I respectfully declined.

Now I'm looking back, and I have to wonder if perhaps I had gone temporarily insane(er) during that phone call. Driving cross-country is nice, but so is living in a house with family and friends nearby X_x
WTF me, that was probably a once-in-a-lifetime posting and you blew it off.

Any chance if you call them back it'll still be open?
Maybe. Problem is that I'm not entirely sure I want the posting yet. If I had been working for a year first, or hell even a few months, maybe it would be different. But this was so very sudden and there's so much of the county I haven't seen yet. I guess I just feel cheated because while I'm sure that I will jump at the chance eventually, I can't jump at it now and I fear that the chance might never come up again.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37996 on: September 26, 2013, 02:12:27 pm »

My campus' crazy preachers are back again, and this time with counter-protestors! Sadly, I missed the time someone dressed up as Thor to harass them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37997 on: September 26, 2013, 03:07:31 pm »

My campus' crazy preachers are back again, and this time with counter-protestors! Sadly, I missed the time someone dressed up as Thor to harass them.

First image, center left... enhance. 2 + 2 = Goldfish? Gods below, it's a Pepperidge Farm agent!

Last image, far right... enhance. "I'd rather be at a Nickelback concert." Wow. I'm stumped, that's a tough choice.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37998 on: September 26, 2013, 03:30:18 pm »

A couple of days ago I got a call from my company's placement people. They had an opening for a local-only driver near my home, and wanted to know if I was interested. The upside of such a posting is that I'd be home almost every single night rather than once every three weeks or so. Since I was a little busy at the time, I told them that I was enjoying the whole traveling across the country thing, and it was what I got into trucking for in the first place. I respectfully declined.

Now I'm looking back, and I have to wonder if perhaps I had gone temporarily insane(er) during that phone call. Driving cross-country is nice, but so is living in a house with family and friends nearby X_x
WTF me, that was probably a once-in-a-lifetime posting and you blew it off.

Any chance if you call them back it'll still be open?
Maybe. Problem is that I'm not entirely sure I want the posting yet. If I had been working for a year first, or hell even a few months, maybe it would be different. But this was so very sudden and there's so much of the county I haven't seen yet. I guess I just feel cheated because while I'm sure that I will jump at the chance eventually, I can't jump at it now and I fear that the chance might never come up again.
Call them up and ask them "How often would this kind of thing be offered to me?"

Also, how long was the posting? Indefinite? If not, you could always do the cross-country thing afterward.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #37999 on: September 26, 2013, 03:46:37 pm »

We have a street preacher on my campus. He generally sticks to warning people about sorority girls.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38000 on: September 26, 2013, 03:57:44 pm »

After I happened to mention a popular encryption protocol to someone, someone else jumped in with the statement that 'encryption does not protect [the thing it's encrypting]'.

I pointed out that well, yes, it does, and that's kinda the whole point of encryption.  Otherwise it's just 'writing it down'.

I'd assumed that his comment was an offshoot of the whole current news cycle on PRISM, the various internet security holes and eavesdropping, etc.  Apparently not.  The guy actually claimed that any encryption (any encryption) would only stop anyone from reading what you wrote for 'about two minutes'.  Not talking about the NSA or governmental bodies here, apparently.  Anyone.  Said very confidently and almost triumphantly.

For pure head-desk lack of understanding of this guy's thought processes: WTF?
You should write a wretchedly encrypted message for them and hand it to them.
If the complain they can't read it, tell them that it should only take them a couple minutes to figure it out.
Write it in dwarven.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #38001 on: September 26, 2013, 04:09:36 pm »

A friend of mine has someone who hijacks courses (When the Prof doesn't show up/ is late) and tries to convince the Astrophysic classes that Space Travel doesn't exist, is impossible. Dunno his opinion about the shape of the earth though.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38002 on: September 26, 2013, 04:13:19 pm »

Relating to the whole horsemeat discussion earlier, I once told a schoolmate that people used to eat horses rather more commonly, and that some people still do, and they flat refused to believe me. Humans are OMNIVORES. If it is even REMOTELY edible, we've TRIED TO EAT IT at some point. I would eat horse, to be quite honest. Then again, about the only mammal I wouldn't eat is a domesticated dog or cat. I'd be okay eating a non-domesticated dog or cat, like, if they were bred to be eaten and not raised as a pet. But even still, I'd eat just about anything living if I was hungry enough. Even human flesh, if the circumstances absolutely demanded it, and the person died of non-human violence related causes. Cannibalism is okay if you don't murder them, right? :P

That said, human flesh is somewhat toxic, and it has some pretty severe health risks, including those insidious prions, so I would REALLY not be happy about it if I was forced to. Don't take this post as me saying I would just love to eat me someone. :P I do not want to eat people. But I WOULD if I had to.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38003 on: September 26, 2013, 04:30:34 pm »

Cannibalism is okay if you don't murder them, right? :P
I think it's like that in Germany.
I read a story on a guy who ate someone, and he only went to jail for the murder, but the Cannibalism was ok.
The Derail Thread

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38004 on: September 26, 2013, 04:31:45 pm »

Then again, about the only mammal I wouldn't eat is a domesticated dog or cat.
Cannibal panda :V

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38005 on: September 26, 2013, 04:35:34 pm »

Then again, about the only mammal I wouldn't eat is a domesticated dog or cat.
Cannibal panda :V
Sounds like a punk rock band.
The Derail Thread

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #38006 on: September 26, 2013, 04:39:31 pm »

A friend of mine has someone who hijacks courses (When the Prof doesn't show up/ is late) and tries to convince the Astrophysic classes that Space Travel doesn't exist, is impossible. Dunno his opinion about the shape of the earth though.

Wow. My brain refused to acknowledge the 'Space' part and insisted you'd written Time Travel. Because that's actually debatable. Took me several re-reads to actually parse what was so bizarre about this guy.

I'm not sure if I'm more baffled at that guy or my own brain.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38007 on: September 26, 2013, 06:16:53 pm »

If he has a question period, ask him about Time Cube or Reptilians.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38008 on: September 26, 2013, 06:24:35 pm »

One of my friends told me about a game that they claimed was "the craziest game ever." Something called "Eastern Mind". It's definitely the most insane game I have ever seen.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #38009 on: September 26, 2013, 06:39:51 pm »

Relating to the whole horsemeat discussion earlier, I once told a schoolmate that people used to eat horses rather more commonly, and that some people still do, and they flat refused to believe me. Humans are OMNIVORES. If it is even REMOTELY edible, we've TRIED TO EAT IT at some point. I would eat horse, to be quite honest. Then again, about the only mammal I wouldn't eat is a domesticated dog or cat. I'd be okay eating a non-domesticated dog or cat, like, if they were bred to be eaten and not raised as a pet. But even still, I'd eat just about anything living if I was hungry enough. Even human flesh, if the circumstances absolutely demanded it, and the person died of non-human violence related causes. Cannibalism is okay if you don't murder them, right? :P

That said, human flesh is somewhat toxic, and it has some pretty severe health risks, including those insidious prions, so I would REALLY not be happy about it if I was forced to. Don't take this post as me saying I would just love to eat me someone. :P I do not want to eat people. But I WOULD if I had to.
If I had a choice between eating human flesh or dying, I'd get gene modded to become a vampire from Blindsight.
It's the right thing to do.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 2532 2533 [2534] 2535 2536 ... 11039