Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2531 2532 [2533] 2534 2535 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14432976 times)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #37980 on: September 26, 2013, 03:40:26 am »

I think one of the main causes of controversy with horse meat is that it's somehow against the Christian religion to eat it.
Not sure why not, or even how true that is(I just read it somewhere, after all), but obviously the Christian religion is pretty dang popular. :P I can see why companies wouldn't be labelling their horsemeat as horsemeat and marketing it to the public.

There are Christian traditions against it, mostly started because certain pagan faiths in some European areas considered horses sacred and had some intricate sacrifices involving offering horses to the gods and sharing the meat as a form of worship.  Forbidding the eating of horse meat was one of the ways used to combat those faiths, and in some parts that rule became very deeply ingrained, though separate from the reasons behind it.

It's also against the Jewish faith to eat horses.  Mammals needs to be a ruminant (many stomachs like a cow) and having cloven hooves in order to be 'fit to eat' by those dietary rules.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #37981 on: September 26, 2013, 06:44:18 am »

A member of another forum I'm on recently revealed himself as a transsexual. He was born a man but found out about a year ago (after joining the forums) that he thought himself as a woman.
Everyone's taking this very well so far (me included, I'm just WTFing, but I'm otherwise fine with it).

Guess I'll have to start calling him "her" from now on (as she asked us to do).

Weird thing to find out when coming back from school.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #37982 on: September 26, 2013, 06:58:08 am »

A member of another forum I'm on recently revealed himself as a transsexual. He was born a man but found out about a year ago (after joining the forums) that he thought himself as a woman.
That's... not really a WTF on this forum...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37983 on: September 26, 2013, 06:59:42 am »

Well it might have been a slight WTF for him.
WTF's isn't always a bad thing.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #37984 on: September 26, 2013, 07:02:58 am »

If it was on Bay12, it would'nt have been WTF-worthy. It's Bay12 after all.

But it was on another forum, with a very small community, on which I'm since 2008. And where nothing of note happened for months if not more.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Full Sig

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #37985 on: September 26, 2013, 07:03:36 am »

Oh that's not what I mean, it's just that people coming out on B12 as being trans is almost a daily happening :)
But it was on another forum, with a very small community, on which I'm since 2008. And where nothing of note happened for months if not more.
Ah, context! That explains :)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #37986 on: September 26, 2013, 08:58:45 am »

Oh that's not what I mean, it's just that people coming out on B12 as being trans is almost a daily happening :)
Ah, context! That explains :)

I guess it leaves room to misinterpretation, but I did say it was on another forum (implicitly. Oh well)
Full Sig

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #37987 on: September 26, 2013, 10:51:19 am »

I think one of the main causes of controversy with horse meat is that it's somehow against the Christian religion to eat it.
Not sure why not, or even how true that is(I just read it somewhere, after all), but obviously the Christian religion is pretty dang popular. :P I can see why companies wouldn't be labelling their horsemeat as horsemeat and marketing it to the public.
There are Christian traditions against it, mostly started because certain pagan faiths in some European areas considered horses sacred and had some intricate sacrifices involving offering horses to the gods and sharing the meat as a form of worship.  Forbidding the eating of horse meat was one of the ways used to combat those faiths, and in some parts that rule became very deeply ingrained, though separate from the reasons behind it.

It's also against the Jewish faith to eat horses.  Mammals needs to be a ruminant (many stomachs like a cow) and having cloven hooves in order to be 'fit to eat' by those dietary rules.
As far as I know, there's nothing against it. (Not anymore, anyway). The Horse is still considered to be some sort of Noble animal(the only other noble animal being humans) though.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37988 on: September 26, 2013, 11:28:01 am »

Yeah, the only thing that annoyed me about the backlash against the horse-meat thing was people going "It's just horse! Who cares?"

Like, seriously guys. It doesn't matter if horse was the most delicious meat ever, it could have been made from the flesh of cupid, but it's -not what they were sold-.

How is that hard to grasp? That people are angry over being lied to? SERIOUSLY.

Edit: Dump him in a bowl of porridge.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37989 on: September 26, 2013, 11:30:45 am »

Yeah, the only thing that annoyed me about the backlash against the horse-meat thing was people going "It's just horse! Who cares?"

Like, seriously guys. It doesn't matter if horse was the most delicious meat ever, it could have been made from the flesh of cupid, but it's -not what they were sold-.

How is that hard to grasp? That people are angry over being lied to? SERIOUSLY.
Because that's not what people were getting angry over. A lot of it was "Ew horse that's gross" rather than any actual concern about consumer rights.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37990 on: September 26, 2013, 11:53:28 am »

And yet, I can pinpoint where in Acts that God says the whole animal restriction is total bullcrap and you can eat whatever animal you want.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37991 on: September 26, 2013, 12:08:14 pm »

And yet, I can pinpoint where in Acts that God says the whole animal restriction is total bullcrap and you can eat whatever animal you want.
Not exactly those lines, but yes there is, in the new testament.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37992 on: September 26, 2013, 12:54:09 pm »

After I happened to mention a popular encryption protocol to someone, someone else jumped in with the statement that 'encryption does not protect [the thing it's encrypting]'.

I pointed out that well, yes, it does, and that's kinda the whole point of encryption.  Otherwise it's just 'writing it down'.

I'd assumed that his comment was an offshoot of the whole current news cycle on PRISM, the various internet security holes and eavesdropping, etc.  Apparently not.  The guy actually claimed that any encryption (any encryption) would only stop anyone from reading what you wrote for 'about two minutes'.  Not talking about the NSA or governmental bodies here, apparently.  Anyone.  Said very confidently and almost triumphantly.

For pure head-desk lack of understanding of this guy's thought processes: WTF?
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37993 on: September 26, 2013, 01:02:31 pm »

A couple of days ago I got a call from my company's placement people. They had an opening for a local-only driver near my home, and wanted to know if I was interested. The upside of such a posting is that I'd be home almost every single night rather than once every three weeks or so. Since I was a little busy at the time, I told them that I was enjoying the whole traveling across the country thing, and it was what I got into trucking for in the first place. I respectfully declined.

Now I'm looking back, and I have to wonder if perhaps I had gone temporarily insane(er) during that phone call. Driving cross-country is nice, but so is living in a house with family and friends nearby X_x
WTF me, that was probably a once-in-a-lifetime posting and you blew it off.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #37994 on: September 26, 2013, 01:21:46 pm »

A couple of days ago I got a call from my company's placement people. They had an opening for a local-only driver near my home, and wanted to know if I was interested. The upside of such a posting is that I'd be home almost every single night rather than once every three weeks or so. Since I was a little busy at the time, I told them that I was enjoying the whole traveling across the country thing, and it was what I got into trucking for in the first place. I respectfully declined.

Now I'm looking back, and I have to wonder if perhaps I had gone temporarily insane(er) during that phone call. Driving cross-country is nice, but so is living in a house with family and friends nearby X_x
WTF me, that was probably a once-in-a-lifetime posting and you blew it off.

Any chance if you call them back it'll still be open?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 2531 2532 [2533] 2534 2535 ... 11039