Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2470 2471 [2472] 2473 2474 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14423030 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #37065 on: September 05, 2013, 10:25:29 pm »

Oh, yes. The councilpeople in my home city are all corrupt as fuck. It's why they refuse to convict their own for misuse of public funds even when they agree that they're guilty; they have their own thumbs in too many pies to feel safe being that hypocritical. That's not just a theoretical example, either; one of their number was recently tried for ethics violations relating to misuse of city funds for the benefit of her family under those exact circumstances. The main difference is that national-level officials have to at least try to be subtle about it. Though that doesn't matter for U.S. Representatives, because they spend their entire term fundraising for the next election.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #37066 on: September 05, 2013, 11:38:15 pm »

So I have been re-watching Buffy The Vampire Slayer and I noticed a couple things.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37067 on: September 05, 2013, 11:55:08 pm »

You can only pass it down once?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37068 on: September 05, 2013, 11:56:39 pm »

-snip-

For those not knowledgeable in electricity.  Teacher expects one answer to lab.  Some students do some head math and get what the answer SHOULD be and skip the actual measuring, giving the answer the teacher expects.   Students who actually measure get a vastly different answer due to limitations of the instruments and answer what they get from the instruments as instructed.  Students who did lab get F.  Students who 'faked it' get an A.

WTF school.

On the one hand, I could appreciate rewarding a clever solution to a question. That shows critical thinking, which it something to encourage.

On the other hand, if when used properly, the equipment doesn't give the right answer... then there is a problem with the lab itself, and it's the TA/Instructor's responsibility to address that... not the students' fault for not willing the equipment to work properly.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #37069 on: September 06, 2013, 12:01:15 am »

-snip-

For those not knowledgeable in electricity.  Teacher expects one answer to lab.  Some students do some head math and get what the answer SHOULD be and skip the actual measuring, giving the answer the teacher expects.   Students who actually measure get a vastly different answer due to limitations of the instruments and answer what they get from the instruments as instructed.  Students who did lab get F.  Students who 'faked it' get an A.

WTF school.
I've done this before. I never turn in a lab unless it has the correct answer, and how I am supposed to get it.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37070 on: September 06, 2013, 12:47:47 am »

-snip-

WTF school.

On the one hand, I could appreciate rewarding a clever solution to a question. That shows critical thinking, which it something to encourage.

On the other hand, if when used properly, the equipment doesn't give the right answer... then there is a problem with the lab itself, and it's the TA/Instructor's responsibility to address that... not the students' fault for not willing the equipment to work properly.
I don't see how anyone was rewarded for critical thinking. If anything, the people who doubted the answer the teacher expected were the ones who were punished, while the ones who went with it were rewarded.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37071 on: September 06, 2013, 10:48:54 am »

The lab instructions say to actually measure, and not just do the math to figure out what it should be, as electronic parts have some variance as to their actual values, the measurements are supposed to be slightly off what's expected but within reason.  At the end of the lab we're supposed to calculate the values with math and note the differences.

The lab manager was in room and was checking people's work because there were too many students for just the teacher to handle.  He was telling people that measured that yes, those are the expected values, and told us why we get those values.  Because the lab calls for us to use the instruments to read something they were not designed to read. 

I spoke to the lab tech today, and apparently the teacher knew they were not designed to read them, but our instruments are higher quality than she expected.  Our instruments can read negative as well as positive.  She expected it to read only positive.  Giving different averaged values.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37072 on: September 06, 2013, 11:00:24 am »

15 years ago Stubbs was the first of his race to be elected mayor of his small town in Alaska. Last week he was brutally mauled and bitten in what is believed to be a racially motivated attack.
When I first heard of that, my thoughts were "So a guy got attacked by a dog, big deal." Then I saw the image of the victim.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is the state that produced Sarah Palin, after all.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37073 on: September 06, 2013, 12:02:59 pm »

The lab instructions say to actually measure, and not just do the math to figure out what it should be, as electronic parts have some variance as to their actual values, the measurements are supposed to be slightly off what's expected but within reason.  At the end of the lab we're supposed to calculate the values with math and note the differences.

The lab manager was in room and was checking people's work because there were too many students for just the teacher to handle.  He was telling people that measured that yes, those are the expected values, and told us why we get those values.  Because the lab calls for us to use the instruments to read something they were not designed to read. 

I spoke to the lab tech today, and apparently the teacher knew they were not designed to read them, but our instruments are higher quality than she expected.  Our instruments can read negative as well as positive.  She expected it to read only positive.  Giving different averaged values.

Honestly, this smacks of just incompetency on the teachers behalf with regards to planning and prep - as in, they didnt do any, or check the method themselves. Hell, even cheap multimeters (like the really cheap ones I use when teaching AC Theory) have an ability to measure AC properties, both peak and RMS values.
This is a blank sig.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37074 on: September 06, 2013, 01:18:54 pm »

Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37075 on: September 06, 2013, 02:20:14 pm »

bus don goofd and i can't help but smile at the situation

new one in half hour tops

E: yo bus is here and significantly more ontopic than be wtfing at myself is having forged a whole rage thread subtitle, i didn't want to mention it but it'd be a displeasure to nenjin i guess
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 02:44:37 pm by LordSlowpoke »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37076 on: September 06, 2013, 03:05:08 pm »

Remind me if I ever get to professorship to test equipment before telling my students to use it. >_>
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37077 on: September 06, 2013, 03:13:53 pm »

But watching students flail about because their faulty equipment set them on fire is the best part about professoring!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37078 on: September 06, 2013, 03:55:14 pm »

Well, yeah. But I'd look stupid if I told them to do something the machine can't actually do!

Besides, flammability is a feature, not a bug.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #37079 on: September 06, 2013, 06:39:33 pm »

In which case you need you some chlorine trifluoride.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 09:19:46 pm by RedWarrior0 »
Pages: 1 ... 2470 2471 [2472] 2473 2474 ... 11039