Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2469 2470 [2471] 2472 2473 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14424891 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 02:38:46 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #37054 on: September 05, 2013, 02:42:16 pm »

Silly Americans~
"electing your own mayor"

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37055 on: September 05, 2013, 02:48:20 pm »

Dutchling, they elect police chiefs. Silly doesn't cover it.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37056 on: September 05, 2013, 03:04:04 pm »

Judges, even. I'm totally with Schopenhauer on this - can't let all that riffraff interfere with the law!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 03:26:46 pm by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #37057 on: September 05, 2013, 03:04:39 pm »

What the hell o.O

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37058 on: September 05, 2013, 04:10:58 pm »

Why, next thing you know, we'll be electing dog-catchers. Society will collapse because of the weight of electoral concerns on the minds of those responsible for keeping our streets clear of strays; we'll be neck-deep in animals before you know it!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37059 on: September 05, 2013, 04:13:51 pm »

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #37060 on: September 05, 2013, 04:53:47 pm »

Ministry of Sound wants to delete your playlists.

(this would probably fit in a copyright thread, which I'm sure exists, but I couldn't find one)
This is one of those times where you take the mangy, old, senile mutt to a dark alley and put it out of its misery.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #37061 on: September 05, 2013, 05:06:12 pm »

Why, next thing you know, we'll be electing dog-catchers. Society will collapse because of the weight of electoral concerns on the minds of those responsible for keeping our streets clear of strays; we'll be neck-deep in animals before you know it!
...doesn't someone do that? What about that phrase "He couldn't be elected as Dog-catcher!" come from? Wikipedia says most are appointed.

15 years ago Stubbs was the first of his race to be elected mayor of his small town in Alaska. Last week he was brutally mauled and bitten in what is believed to be a racially motivated attack.
When I first heard of that, my thoughts were "So a guy got attacked by a dog, big deal." Then I saw the image of the victim.
Me too. I was like "wat", and then cat.

What the hell o.O
America is best democracy. I know Public advocate is voted for in NYC. We should vote on whether to allow people as citizens.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37062 on: September 05, 2013, 06:21:49 pm »

...doesn't someone do that? What about that phrase "He couldn't be elected as Dog-catcher!" come from? Wikipedia says most are appointed.
The U.S. certainly doesn't. They were originally basically just guys with guns that towns hired to kill strays, now they're public employees. The real beauty of the saying is that modern animal control officers have more job-specific training than a lot of elected officials, especially on the local level, but the saying comes from a time when they literally were just people who were willing to collect pay for killing animals. Fun with anachronisms, whee!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #37063 on: September 05, 2013, 07:17:10 pm »

Heeheehee, ah, the local officials and their job-specific training.

I still remember the illiterate city council member. One of the folks able to override mayoral authority if enough of them vote the right way. Couldn't read, ha ha! One character among many.

... but yeah. If you've got anyone who's actually inside the local governmental system enough to know some of the dirt? It's... definitely one of those, "How the hell hasn't this country collapsed yet?" kind of things. Least for smaller areas. Presumably larger ones are "Same bullshit, bigger pile", ha.

And hey. Place I was in almost did go bankrupt a few times. To say nothing of some of the blatant (and I mean deflecting-federal-investigation blatant) corruption.

Good times. By which I mean there's a sizable portion of the town and its population I wouldn't particular mind if went up in literal flames.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37064 on: September 05, 2013, 09:54:28 pm »

-snip-
Can I sig this? Pwetty pwease?
If you can find a way to fit it in the sig limit, feel free.

----

Not quite a government position, but my advanced electronics teacher apperantly gave almost everyone Fs for their labs because she figured that measuring an AC voltage with a DC multimeter will just give you the RMS voltage.  When we did the lab most students found extreme low values...because you know, yer measuring an AC voltage with a DC meter, that creates weirdness as the multimeter average the high and low peaks together.

Apperantly enough students fudged the lab and took the teacher saying that RMS voltage is what an AC current looks like to something expecting DC and just entered the previously found RMS voltage. Instead of actually doing the lab.   
A couple of us had to stay after to prove that we don't get the RMS voltage on the multimeter to fix the lab grade.

Not technical version:

For those not knowledgeable in electricity.  Teacher expects one answer to lab.  Some students do some head math and get what the answer SHOULD be and skip the actual measuring, giving the answer the teacher expects.   Students who actually measure get a vastly different answer due to limitations of the instruments and answer what they get from the instruments as instructed.  Students who did lab get F.  Students who 'faked it' get an A.

WTF school.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 09:56:50 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 2469 2470 [2471] 2472 2473 ... 11039