Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2412 2413 [2414] 2415 2416 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14432741 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #36195 on: August 12, 2013, 11:42:41 am »

For stuff like pacemakers I see no reason they should accept any outside stuff at all.
Firmware updates and such. Otherwise, you'd need to perform potentially dangerous and expensive surgery to do it.
Provide some sort of USB port (inside or outside the car. Outside being behind a lock, like the fuel tank) and have it autoexecute whatever's on the USB stick. Download updates, put on USB, put in car.

Or just have a "check for updates" button that needs to be user-initiated. (Aka, outside sources can't acces it).

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36196 on: August 12, 2013, 11:49:52 am »

@ Akura

Dunno what absinthe tastes like or what its made of, and this bag of coffee doesn't have a list of ingredients. The package does have words like fennel, wormwood, hyssop, licorice, and anise, but whether those are ingredients or flavors is more than I can say.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #36197 on: August 12, 2013, 11:53:09 am »

The package does have words like fennel, wormwood, hyssop
This sounds like something you need in a class at Hogwarts o.o

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36198 on: August 12, 2013, 11:53:40 am »

Only fancy thing I could see a hacker doing with a security system is playing with the lights and AC.
"Quickly! The hacker is using his Unix-byte script to hack the floppies in the house!"
"What can we do.... I've got it. Quickly, activate the firewall serial interface and stop the hack."
"I can't. He's got the trojan keylogger into my keyboard and I can't do anything now."
"So we're at the mercy of that monster out there?"
"Absolutely"
"Great"
[Double-Triple-Infinity-Secret agent is about to close the ultra-futuristic slim hacking notebook when a masked face appears on the screen]
"Haha, you fools, stuck right in my trap just like I intended. Now... I'm going to make you uncomfortably warm."
"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36199 on: August 12, 2013, 11:57:44 am »

Dunno what absinthe tastes like or what its made of, and this bag of coffee doesn't have a list of ingredients. The package does have words like fennel, wormwood, hyssop, licorice, and anise, but whether those are ingredients or flavors is more than I can say.
Most absinthe has a strong anise flavor, somewhat similar to pernod ricard, ouzo, raki and stuff like that. There is other stuff in absinthe so it tastes sufficiently different from those, but anise tends to be a pretty dominant flavor.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #36200 on: August 12, 2013, 12:02:57 pm »

For stuff like pacemakers I see no reason they should accept any outside stuff at all.
Firmware updates and such. Otherwise, you'd need to perform potentially dangerous and expensive surgery to do it.
Provide some sort of USB port (inside or outside the car. Outside being behind a lock, like the fuel tank) and have it autoexecute whatever's on the USB stick. Download updates, put on USB, put in car.

Or just have a "check for updates" button that needs to be user-initiated. (Aka, outside sources can't acces it).
Well, cars need GPS information (the additional stuff, like accidents, traffic jams, and such) for optimal functioning. Those systems could be subverted, I suppose.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #36201 on: August 12, 2013, 12:33:24 pm »

A friend linked me to a new york times article about how hackers are getting into cars, homes and potentially medical equipment. I'm a hyperlink!

One of the things mentions a possibility of hackers taking over your toilet or fridge.   To which I asked him why would a toilet be networked?  He responded.
Toilet: That weighed 1.2 lbs and appears to be primarily from vegetables.  Post this on facebook?  Yes/Yes?

Ask a stupid question....

networked toilets are coming

megaman battle network: the spinoff that became reality

Wake me when toilets have teleporters.  Or should I say.... telepoopers?
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36202 on: August 12, 2013, 12:34:00 pm »

Well, cars need GPS information (the additional stuff, like accidents, traffic jams, and such) for optimal functioning. Those systems could be subverted, I suppose.
I'm not sure how this went over to cars, but the bolded word was what I was talking about, which is something that goes in your chest and probably lets you be legally classified as a cyborg.

@ Akura

Natural flavor then. Absinthe is made from wormwood, I think.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #36203 on: August 12, 2013, 12:41:03 pm »

The package does have words like fennel, wormwood, and anise
These are the main ingredients of absinthe. Now, whether or not simply adding the these ingredients without mixing them with alcohol will taste the same, I cannot say.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36204 on: August 12, 2013, 04:35:02 pm »

Fun fact about absinthe: While greater wormwood is, indeed a hallucinogen, most absinthes these days use lesser wormwood. And even if it contained greater wormwood, the fermentation process would kill the delicate chemicals needed to send you on a trip.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #36205 on: August 12, 2013, 04:43:13 pm »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36206 on: August 12, 2013, 04:55:50 pm »

Oh man, this reminds me of a WTF moment I caused for somebody today. I was at the art supply store with someone else, and saw a bag of those baby doll arms. Thinking my partner in crime was standing behind me (I saw someone in the corner of my eye), I remarked "Hey, look, you can buy severed baby ar--!" That's when I looked behind me and noticed this little old lady staring at me talking to myself about severed baby arms.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36207 on: August 12, 2013, 06:21:34 pm »

Absinth tastes like horribleness and regret.

But seriously, I used to love the flavor of Anise and Licorice. And now I can't stand them, the nausea associated with Absinth was that strong. It may be complicated by the fact that I tried it on an empty stomach, and in a not insignificant quantity.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #36208 on: August 12, 2013, 08:03:10 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #36209 on: August 12, 2013, 08:04:24 pm »

That's hilarious and I love it.
Pages: 1 ... 2412 2413 [2414] 2415 2416 ... 11039