Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2400 2401 [2402] 2403 2404 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14440315 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #36015 on: August 08, 2013, 08:14:02 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Humans did it. You see those treads? It moves.
Oh, jesus. Man, the days where we dedicated massive metal machines to war are long gone. Now we just make roads.

Also, from a city where Crane collapses are uncommon but not unheard of, that looks like the most dangerous thing ever. Ever. I mean it, what happens when there are high-winds.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36016 on: August 08, 2013, 08:15:10 pm »

It... it looks like a large bridge decided to take revenge on the world for some reason.

I'd say it also looks like something Orks would build, but they would have painted it red.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #36017 on: August 08, 2013, 08:15:51 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Humans did it. You see those treads? It moves.
Now, they just need to attack some oversized awe-inspiring guns to it and it shall be complete.

At least until we scrounge up more steel to make it even bigger and with MORE dakka. It's already got some impressive choppy, though.
For scale:

That is a crane of some sort moving about its giant saw-blade crane. Large vehicles scuttle along its metal hull, grooming it and keeping it free from parasites.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #36018 on: August 08, 2013, 08:16:34 pm »

Yeah, yeah. Sometimes, when you get really big zombies, you need a really big saw. And, like. Zombies move, so the saw has to come to them.

Neatest thing is I think you can see a little person by the treads. It's really rather quite large.

Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36019 on: August 08, 2013, 08:16:51 pm »

today bay12 discovers the wonder of the bagger 288

it mines coal.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36020 on: August 08, 2013, 08:17:36 pm »

When I was at Kennedy Space Center, I got a decent look at the trails for the crawler-transporters, a similarly large vehicle. The already hard-packed rocks which make up the path were utterly crushed into a single conglomerate in the area the crawler traveled on.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #36021 on: August 08, 2013, 08:26:24 pm »

Mono is a contagious disease that can make you very sick for a period of time from a week, to several months. And it isn't just a std, it is also transmitted by sharing food and drink or even failure to wash hands after touching as it is carried by mucus and saliva and can survive well outside the body.

I got mono from someone double dipping a spoon in a jar of peanut butter. If I were you, I wouldn't be getting that close for a while either.

I've had mono. I've known people who have had mono. I've had sex with someone who had mono. Actually... she might have had sex with someone (me) who had mono. We're not really sure who had it first. Anyway, most people have had mono. And most people have not noticed that they've had mono.

As a disease that's only transmittable through bodily fluids, it's very easy to prevent getting it. Caution is acceptable, but I would not avoid someone entirely if I knew they were going to be smart about not sharing food or licking anything I was going to put in my mouth.

Like any disease, there is an acceptable level of caution, and "like a leper" is too far for this. Treating someone with a disease based entirely on worst case scenarios is not fair to them.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36022 on: August 08, 2013, 08:28:59 pm »

No it isn't, mono can be life-threatening. I'd avoid infected people too.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #36023 on: August 08, 2013, 08:38:06 pm »

Well, I hope you completely avoid everything that can kill you based on worst case scenarios instead of giving them a responsible level of caution based on the threat they represent realistically.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36024 on: August 08, 2013, 08:39:30 pm »

It's not unrealistic. Mono regularly causes extreme sickness.
No Gods, No Masters.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36025 on: August 08, 2013, 08:40:08 pm »

No it isn't, mono can be life-threatening. I'd avoid infected people too.
Lots of things can be life-threatening. Buses and cars can be life-threatening, we should probably stop using those.

EDIT: Yeah, sorry for being snarky. That was uncalled for.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 08:42:56 pm by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #36026 on: August 08, 2013, 09:27:04 pm »

Yeah... contagious illness isn't really comparable to other common sorts of risks.

Buses and cars are life-threatening the same way being around people at all involves a risk of catching something.

But knowingly exposing yourself to someone who has a serious contagious illness is more like intentionally swerving into oncoming traffic.  It might not kill you.  It might not even cause an accident.  That doesn't mean it's advisable...

Doesn't mean you should make a cross with your fingers and run away, either, but still...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 09:32:03 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #36027 on: August 08, 2013, 09:36:05 pm »

I'm talking about responsibly avoiding ways to contract an illness without completely barring all contact with that person. There's no way that's comparable to swerving into traffic.

It's like driving on a Friday night. You know there are drunk people around and you're going to be careful. There's a higher chance than normal that someone might plow into your car, but you realize that there are ways to minimize that risk without avoiding roads entirely.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36028 on: August 08, 2013, 09:38:23 pm »

I'm talking about responsibly avoiding ways to contract an illness without completely barring all contact with that person. There's no way that's comparable to swerving into traffic.

It's like driving on a Friday night. You know there are drunk people around and you're going to be careful. There's a higher chance than normal that someone might plow into your car, but you realize that there are ways to minimize that risk without avoiding roads entirely.

taking a welder to your car and turning it into a personal helicopter being one of them

just fly above the roads not to get lost

are you a friend of that girl or not? that question begged to be asked since you brought the subject here.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #36029 on: August 08, 2013, 09:44:06 pm »

taking a welder to your car and turning it into a personal helicopter being one of them

just fly above the roads not to get lost

That's the "interact with them but in a hazmat suit" solution.

are you a friend of that girl or not? that question begged to be asked since you brought the subject here.

I used to be. We haven't really talked or interacted in like 9 months. I guess we probably have through social media, but that doesn't really count.
Pages: 1 ... 2400 2401 [2402] 2403 2404 ... 11040