Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2391 2392 [2393] 2394 2395 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14445642 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #35880 on: August 04, 2013, 02:48:22 pm »

Homestarrunner ended because the creator moved on.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #35881 on: August 04, 2013, 02:55:24 pm »

Let's not get into the debate about if the site went down because the Brothers Chaps moved on or if the Brothers Chaps moved on because the site went down.

It's sort of a "Han Shot First" argument generation scenario. Nobody wins.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35882 on: August 04, 2013, 03:04:53 pm »

Let's not get into the debate about if the site went down because the Brothers Chaps moved on or if the Brothers Chaps moved on because the site went down.

It's sort of a "Han Shot First" argument generation scenario. Nobody wins.

What you are saying makes no sense. It is still there and they actually said why there was a haitus (that hasn't ended).

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #35883 on: August 04, 2013, 03:12:55 pm »

http://www.hrwiki.org/wiki/Hiatuses

It's a "which came first?" argument that's really not worth getting into. Please don't.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35884 on: August 04, 2013, 03:15:39 pm »

I have found out my list of things I plan on doing has grown smaller

Is that normal for a workaholic as myself*

*For a 14 yr old at least :P

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #35885 on: August 04, 2013, 03:52:40 pm »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #35886 on: August 04, 2013, 03:54:56 pm »

Parasitic, tiny, predator wasp released to help save citrus trees in Florida.  I'm mostly sure everything will be just fine :D
Because importing predators to stop over abundance of imported prey totally worked in Hawaii.
Or Australia.
Or anywhere.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35887 on: August 04, 2013, 03:55:44 pm »

Parasitic, tiny, predator wasp released to help save citrus trees in Florida.  I'm mostly sure everything will be just fine :D

Given our track record? No... no it won't.

Why are we so stupid?

Well ok we aren't stupid in this case. The article clearly states that they don't know if this will work OR if it will cause a larger disaster.

This is just one of those cases where someone out there has enough money to go "Yeah I know it can mean bad news for everyone if we fail, but come on... Money!"
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 03:57:28 pm by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #35888 on: August 04, 2013, 03:58:03 pm »

Ha ha ha. No, the attempt in Florida already failed, though with a different wasp species. They're releasing that article's breed in California.

It's kinda' nice to know they're at least going to start off on the other end of the country. Good luck, Cali! suckers
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #35889 on: August 04, 2013, 03:58:54 pm »

Ha ha ha. No, the attempt in Florida already failed, though with a different wasp species. They're releasing that article's breed in California.

It's kinda' nice to know they're at least going to start off on the other end of the country. Good luck, Cali! suckers[/i]
Oh. That'll go splendidly.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35890 on: August 04, 2013, 03:59:50 pm »

* Iceblaster puts on tin foil hat

The government are using those so they can implant tiny spying cameras in citrus fruits so when you eat them you get implanted with a spying camera!

I'm a terrible conspiracy theorist.

It's kinda' nice to know they're at least going to start off on the other end of the country. Good luck, Cali! suckers

Yay! Now I'll be able to prepare if they gain sentience... a couple *mumble* before they reach Georgia, but regardless.

KSP crazyness.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 04:02:14 pm by Iceblaster »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35891 on: August 04, 2013, 04:21:02 pm »

Given our track record? No... no it won't.

Why are we so stupid?
DO YOU WANT THERE TO BE AN END OF THE LEMON, LIME, ORANGE, TANGERINE, GRAPEFRUIT AND MORE?

Well ok we aren't stupid in this case. The article clearly states that they don't know if this will work OR if it will cause a larger disaster.
Quarantine of 18 months where they did all they can to ensure that they weren't releasing anything that attacked native species. Or pets and humans. They didn't.
They don't know for certain because it's an action that does not have an assured consequence.

This is just one of those cases where someone out there has enough money to go "Yeah I know it can mean bad news for everyone if we fail, but come on... Money!"
And if they do nothing? Bad news for everyone. If they succeed, GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!
[And you can always introduce a new species to kill any runaway species...]

* Iceblaster puts on tin foil hat

The government are using those so they can implant tiny spying cameras in citrus fruits so when you eat them you get implanted with a spying camera!
I know you were joking, but do you seriously think in this day and age of technology tinfoil can even defend you? That it has to be a "conspiracy" for the government to be able to have insect sized cameras? Implants even?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20957953
https://connect.innovateuk.org/web/future-cities-special-interest-group

There are also people working out how to put miniature sensors the size of dust grains inside building materials, millions working in tandem to supply information on your whereabouts.

Really, the tinfoilers came up with black helicopters and shadow bankers, I doubt any would have come up with this.

Thousands of tiny computers that scavenge power from their surroundings could one day be used to monitor your world.
"It creates completely new opportunities for using wireless data communication sensors to monitor large areas and objects – for instance increasing city safety, road traffic surveillance, perimeter monitoring or controlling large areas and monitoring logistics."

THE FUTURE IS SO BRIGHT

"Wood and graduate student Kevin Ma are publishing their findings in today’s issue of Science. The paper describes how they build the device, which is part of a larger “robo-bee” project to build swarms of tiny insect-like robots that can be used to hunt for missing people, spy on enemies, track toxic pollutants or even pollinate crops if real bees are wiped out by disease."

AND I'M ALL OUT OF TINFOIL

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35892 on: August 04, 2013, 04:27:27 pm »

And if they do nothing? Bad news for everyone. If they succeed, GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

Yes it is sometimes VERY costly to not do it.

Yet it is more costly if they fail OR succeed
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 04:31:55 pm by Neonivek »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #35893 on: August 04, 2013, 04:49:39 pm »

asimov did come up with that, like, 40 years ago, in a short story.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35894 on: August 04, 2013, 04:52:38 pm »

asimov did come up with that, like, 40 years ago, in a short story.
But was Asimov tinfoil?
Pages: 1 ... 2391 2392 [2393] 2394 2395 ... 11040