Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2386 2387 [2388] 2389 2390 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14442924 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #35805 on: August 02, 2013, 05:37:58 pm »

Actually, the usual beliefs about the Earth's circumference at the time pegged it as being too small, and it was this that had Columbus thinking he was in Asia. :P

Hmm. I thought Columbus was the person who thought it was too small, and that everyone else thought that it was larger than he was assuming and that he'd never have enough supplies to last a journey that long over open ocean.
I heard that too. Columbus probably confused the European/Spanish/whatever miles with Persian (Arabian?) miles or something which made him think there was no such thing as the Americas or the Pacific.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #35806 on: August 02, 2013, 05:42:33 pm »

Actually, the usual beliefs about the Earth's circumference at the time pegged it as being too small, and it was this that had Columbus thinking he was in Asia. :P

He though he was in India and called the American natives "Indians". He's off by 2 continents, 1 ocean and 3 seas.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #35807 on: August 02, 2013, 06:14:27 pm »

Yeah, the usual beliefs were within, like 1%. Columbus was just a dumbass (and a horrible person, to boot, but that's not exactly our conversation right now).
Kinda. He was using what, at the time, was probably considered perfectly decent measurement (even though better had been done earlier). Though, he was certainly an asshole, I'll give you that.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #35808 on: August 02, 2013, 06:58:45 pm »

Spoiler: Notable Quotables (click to show/hide)

Dear... Dear God. Lazycat is so arrogant. He's comparing himself to Galileo, for crying out loud.

Actually, Galileo is probably a good comparison. Although not in favor of either. The matter with Galileo was not Science vs. Religion. Heliocentrism had been proposed by a Polish monk Copernicus in De Revolutionibus Orbium Caelestium way before the Galileo affair and the theory was gaining popularity. Including among the Pope. Or the famously reactionist Jesuits. So he basically just added a small contribution to something already made before.

Galileo was convinced that since God made nature & God made Bible therefore nature and scripture cannot contradict each another. So he wanted to remake Bible so that it would fit in with empirical evidence, and it was the Pope that wanted to separate religion from science. Oh yeah, and the Pope was Galileo's friend. As in, personal. But, Galileo, in advocating heliocentrism, created a dialogue. There was a character arguing against the theory, named, translated from Italian, 'idiot', who was blatantly based on the Pope. So he basically insulted his friend, who was by then willing to agree with what he was doing.

THEN, he was prohibited from advocating it, so he asked one friend of his, a cardinal, to be allowed to conjecture it. Then he was prohibited from that, too. So then he got the permission to discuss the pros and cons of the theory, which he used to advocate it. So, basically, he was abusing the system to keep coming back again and talk about the same thing all over again, despite everyone making it clear to him that they don't want to hear him anymore.

Oh, and he also insulted other astronomers who were doing the same work.

Ladies and gentlemen, Lazycat is Galileo reincarnated.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #35809 on: August 02, 2013, 07:00:15 pm »

Er, if so then he's rather far fallen.
A lot.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35810 on: August 02, 2013, 07:24:48 pm »

I don't understand it...

I have this friend I like enough... and I do enjoy hanging out with him.

But everytime he asks to hang out I am like "yeah sure. We havn't done anything for a while" but slowly in my head it turns into "Ohhh no! We are hanging out, this is such a drag"

He is such high energy that I just feel exhausted being around him REALLY quickly.

He are supposed to hang out tomorrow, but I REALLY want to get out of it... in almost anyway possible.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #35811 on: August 02, 2013, 07:36:55 pm »

A lot.

Not really. Galileo REALLY was a maaaaaaajor douche who was remembered for all the wrong reasons.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #35812 on: August 02, 2013, 07:43:16 pm »

Like Columbus. This sort of thing happens way too often...

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #35813 on: August 02, 2013, 07:44:55 pm »

A lot.

Not really. Galileo REALLY was a maaaaaaajor douche who was remembered for all the wrong reasons.
Oh no, I'm talking about subject. Galileo was a douche mcassbag, but at lest he was doing something really cool. LazyCat's trolling a roguelike.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35814 on: August 02, 2013, 07:46:10 pm »

On the one hand, he was an incredibly important scientific figure, on par with the likes of Newton and Einstein.  On the other hand, he was kindof mean to the Pope once.

I think it's clear that Galileo is a terrible person and you should feel insulted to be compared to him.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #35815 on: August 02, 2013, 07:48:09 pm »

I bet the next reincarnation is going to end up emailing one specific guy every day. Not saying anything, just going "YOU'RE SHIT". Just to continue the downward spiral of Galileo's spirit.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35816 on: August 02, 2013, 07:49:31 pm »

Oh no, I'm talking about subject. Galileo was a douche mcassbag, but at lest he was doing something really cool. LazyCat's trolling a roguelike.
That bastard. Roguelikes? LazyCat was targeting roguelikes? Nothing shot of sacrilege.

On the one hand, he was an incredibly important scientific figure, on par with the likes of Newton and Einstein.  On the other hand, he was kindof mean to the Pope once.
I wouldn't put him on a par with Newton or Einstein, but instead more on the level of Huxley.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35817 on: August 02, 2013, 07:55:03 pm »

It's obviously debatable, but he made a large contribution to the development of the scientific process itself (particularly quantitative experiments), which strikes me as pretty important.  If he's not on the highest tier he's on the second highest

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35818 on: August 02, 2013, 08:00:51 pm »

Regardless of what tier one sees him upon, he make good scientific progress and the Pope had it coming.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35819 on: August 02, 2013, 08:07:23 pm »

Regardless of what tier one sees him upon, he make good scientific progress and the Pope had it coming.
I pope hope we can all agree on the holy mass of SCIENCE!
Pages: 1 ... 2386 2387 [2388] 2389 2390 ... 11040