Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2341 2342 [2343] 2344 2345 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14440784 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #35130 on: July 19, 2013, 05:06:32 am »

I have never felt more compelled to join a faith in my life.  :o

So... Anybody know where I can grab a copy of the Book of Abramelin?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35131 on: July 19, 2013, 05:26:27 am »

Ayn Rand
Did you not read? They actually worship the devil!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35132 on: July 19, 2013, 05:30:40 am »

I have never felt more compelled to join a faith in my life.  :o

So... Anybody know where I can grab a copy of the Book of Abramelin?
Don't do it, the Satanists have cookies.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #35133 on: July 19, 2013, 05:32:13 am »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/18/pink-mass-westboro-baptist-church-gay-satanists_n_3616642.html?utm_hp_ref=gay-voices (Link should be SFW, but contains links to another article that is not safe for work, and is labeled as such).

Satanists have a ceremony over the WBC leader's mother's grave to "turn her gay in the afterlife". I...don't have any idea what to say to that. Mostly cry inside.
Satanists also apparently have a surprisingly good sense of humor, who knew?
That's what you get for pissing off the entire nation.

That's kinda predictable, most of them are like Pastafarians except with some occult-for-funs seasoned with a pinch of Ayn Rand.

Really?... I'd never heard there's a strong libertarian presence among Satanists.  I've never known any personally, but I've been told they have a serious philosophy and it's all about individualist belief in self, with a hedonist flavor.  I guess I should look it up myself.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #35134 on: July 19, 2013, 05:40:29 am »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/18/pink-mass-westboro-baptist-church-gay-satanists_n_3616642.html?utm_hp_ref=gay-voices (Link should be SFW, but contains links to another article that is not safe for work, and is labeled as such).

Satanists have a ceremony over the WBC leader's mother's grave to "turn her gay in the afterlife". I...don't have any idea what to say to that. Mostly cry inside.
Satanists also apparently have a surprisingly good sense of humor, who knew?
That's what you get for pissing off the entire nation.

That's kinda predictable, most of them are like Pastafarians except with some occult-for-funs seasoned with a pinch of Ayn Rand.

Really?... I'd never heard there's a strong libertarian presence among Satanists.  I've never known any personally, but I've been told they have a serious philosophy and it's all about individualist belief in self, with a hedonist flavor.  I guess I should look it up myself.

I'm not really sure about their politics, but LaVeyan flavor was transparently influenced by Rand.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35135 on: July 19, 2013, 05:41:40 am »

it's all about individualist belief in self, with a hedonist flavor.
Yup, pretty much Ayn Rand without the pretense of objectivity.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #35136 on: July 19, 2013, 05:44:14 am »

Ayn Rand didn't have a pretense of objectivity, it's just a case of rather misleading name.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #35137 on: July 19, 2013, 05:57:46 am »

Well... what I said isn't really sufficient to describe Ayn Rand... believing in oneself does not necessarily imply being exclusively self-serving.  And since it's called Satanism, I assumed the hedonism part to simply be about allowing oneself to appreciate and indulge in worldly pleasures as a direct opposition to Christianity's reputation for condemning them.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
._.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #35139 on: July 19, 2013, 06:12:53 am »

Well... what I said isn't really sufficient to describe Ayn Rand... believing in oneself does not necessarily imply being exclusively self-serving.  And since it's called Satanism, I assumed the hedonism part to simply be about allowing oneself to appreciate and indulge in worldly pleasures as a direct opposition to Christianity's reputation for condemning them.

You're operating on an understandable, yet still, a misconception - Satanists don't attempt to be inverted Christians. Even the more theistic ones, as rare as they are, are more operating on Alternative Character Interpretation (I'm gonna be merciful and spare the TVTropes link).

They are indulgent, although from what I read, it seems more or less like a teenage rebel child of Rand and Nietzsche of a philosophy.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35140 on: July 19, 2013, 06:20:38 am »

Apparently entire cities can go bankrupt. Huh.
Yea, they need to be fiscally responsible, just like everybody else.
Except for large businesses, they get bail out packages.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #35141 on: July 19, 2013, 06:24:19 am »

I'm totally aware they're not inverted Christians.  I'm not one of those who believes they literally worship Satan.  But I'm pretty sure their philosophies are something that arose out of a Christian context, partially as backlash and partially as alternate interpretation.  If that's not what they were going for, they probably wouldn't name themselves Satanists.  A quick glance at Wikipedia is describing a lot of my preconceptions, though I'm noting the many subgroups that I wasn't aware of.

Basically, I associate a lot more negative things with Randian thought than I think are strictly implied by the descriptions I'm seeing of Satanism.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 06:27:34 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #35142 on: July 19, 2013, 06:27:40 am »

I'm totally aware they're not inverted Christians.  I'm not one of those who believes they literally worship Satan.  But I'm pretty sure their philosophies are something that arose out of a Christian context, partially as backlash and partially as alternate interpretation.  If that's not what they were going for, they probably wouldn't name themselves Satanists.  A quick glance at Wikipedia is describing a lot of my preconceptions, though I'm noting the many subgroups that I wasn't aware of.

Honestly, I sorta suspect many 'Satanist' groups describe themselves as such as a marketing strategy and for shock factor.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #35143 on: July 19, 2013, 06:30:58 am »

Honestly, I sorta suspect many 'Satanist' groups describe themselves as such as a marketing strategy and for shock factor.

Even if that were the case, intending to shock people who would be culturally trained to have that reaction to the name is still operating from a Christian context, in an adversarial fashion.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #35144 on: July 19, 2013, 06:33:25 am »

Not necessary Christian, it works in Jewish and Islamic context just as well.
Pages: 1 ... 2341 2342 [2343] 2344 2345 ... 11040