Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2317 2318 [2319] 2320 2321 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14449598 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #34770 on: July 11, 2013, 09:25:19 pm »

The same goes with Roguelikes. Until people realize that the pitfalls exist, the genre won't get better.
Actually, there are quite a lot of roguelikes that have pitfalls implemented.

/missingthepoint

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34771 on: July 11, 2013, 09:27:35 pm »

For every awesome Mario 64 or Banjo-Kazooie there's tons of gawdawful platformers that control like squirrels and feature levels as enjoyable as a brick coated in sharp glass. Just like a bunch of game genres.
I only have one problem with this sentence. Why the hell would you coat a brick in sharp glass?
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34772 on: July 11, 2013, 09:32:13 pm »

For every awesome Mario 64 or Banjo-Kazooie there's tons of gawdawful platformers that control like squirrels and feature levels as enjoyable as a brick coated in sharp glass. Just like a bunch of game genres.
I only have one problem with this sentence. Why the hell would you coat a brick in sharp glass?
To throw at people.
But does that really help? i mean it seems like you could throw a normal brick and get basically the same effect, and then after the brick is thrown you have sharp glass to use as a knife.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #34773 on: July 11, 2013, 09:34:29 pm »

I'm confused. What game are we talking about?
Also now I'm worried my own game is stupid and gimmicky =_=

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34774 on: July 11, 2013, 09:37:29 pm »

It's no game. Bricks and sharp glass are very serious business. Mr. Spacecat mentioned the terrible games being as enjoyable as bricks coated in sharp glass, and I'm questioning the practicality of bricks coated in sharp glass. I'm a completely normal person obviously.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34775 on: July 11, 2013, 09:46:48 pm »

I'm confused. What game are we talking about?
Also now I'm worried my own game is stupid and gimmicky =_=

It is a conversation on how gimmicks can be used well or badly. Yet how often they are used badly is tied into how people react to them.

If people accept bad uses of a gimmick because it is new, the genre won't progress.

This was being applied to roguelikes where I felt glee that I finally read a review that actually listed a game NOT being a roguelike as a positive. Which is progress because it means the community at large are finally starting to not accept weak gameplay just because it is randomized.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34776 on: July 11, 2013, 10:13:54 pm »

Wrong thread.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34777 on: July 11, 2013, 10:43:42 pm »

Yes I know exactly what my first "Low intensity" RPG I am going to make is!

An Anime Parody!

Hurray I am contributing to the comedy saturation and I am intentionally choosing a genre that plays against my strength (In that I have no sense of humor)

I am incredibly stupid and hypocritical YAY!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 10:52:55 pm by Neonivek »

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #34778 on: July 11, 2013, 11:47:36 pm »

The brick was to symbolize bland and/or poor level design and the glass was to symbolize how incredibly painful it can be to play such bad games. Admittedly, bricks coated in glass aren't common at all, so it wasn't terribly good of a metaphor. I guess you could say my metaphor sunk like a brick.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34779 on: July 11, 2013, 11:54:15 pm »

The brick was to symbolize bland and/or poor level design and the glass was to symbolize how incredibly painful it can be to play such bad games. Admittedly, bricks coated in glass aren't common at all, so it wasn't terribly good of a metaphor. I guess you could say my metaphor sunk like a brick.
You are forgiven due to the awesome in that last sentence. Also because i suck much worse at metaphors.

EDIT: Fuck, now i want to coat a brick in glass.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 01:02:34 am by Steelmagic »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34780 on: July 12, 2013, 02:18:14 am »

What.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #34781 on: July 12, 2013, 02:22:07 am »

What.
For context, Descan just found out he's a hornet with a top hat.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #34782 on: July 12, 2013, 02:45:07 am »

I've been reading Prequel and this particular page is some sort of website-coding-witchcraft. Without context it doesn't make much sense but it's still pretty awesome in a "holy-shi-I-can-scroll-up-or-down-and-it-responds-this-must-be-heresy-where's-my-torch" sort-of-way.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #34783 on: July 12, 2013, 03:05:34 am »

I just found a book entitled "The Settlers of Catan" in my library.
It's not as bad as one would think it would be. Adult stuff because "historically accurate", though.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34784 on: July 12, 2013, 05:10:45 am »

bricks, bricks, bricks....

glass bricks... normal bricks... sinking bricks.....

There.... people are talking so much about bricks.... I.... I don't understand! A...are you a brick? AM I A BRICK?!

I JUST DONUT UNDERSTAND!!
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!
Pages: 1 ... 2317 2318 [2319] 2320 2321 ... 11040