Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2260 2261 [2262] 2263 2264 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14484009 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #33915 on: June 18, 2013, 04:13:04 am »

I read The Women Men Don't See and am now confused as to the topic of the story >_> I can get vague glimmerings of it, but no confidence if it's the intended topic...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33916 on: June 18, 2013, 04:23:12 am »

Eh, it is a short story about a stupid man, two insecure women and aliens. Don't assume that just because it is a work of fiction, it has some profound message. Doing so can only lead you to assume Ms. Sheldon is an idiot.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #33917 on: June 18, 2013, 04:43:41 am »

Oh well xD It must be the literature-analyzing mind that is nurtured by both Literature classes inherently, and Korean Lit classes especially. For example, I read a nice poem about waiting for God (probbaly Buddha, as the author was a monk), then had to learn it was actually about the Japanese Korean colonization and the desire for a free nation. Or reading Plaza, which is a post-war story that can either be a story about the unfortunate life of a disillusioned young intellectual or a book actively mocking ideologies of both North and South. Or Sonagi(=drizzle), wherein a city girl unfortunately dies of a cold, who liked purple, but purple is actually a color that foreshadows death D:<
(The author commented he picked purple because he liked purple, too...)

* Skyrunner rambles

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33918 on: June 18, 2013, 04:49:35 am »

Some literature is great for analysis! Ok granted, our literature classes don't sound nearly as interesting as yours, we had easy mode engaged when Arthur Miller became the focus of our studies, but it was still worth the analysis.

Others, though, don't work out as well, and doing so doesn't provoke thought, it just fuels preconceived notions.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33919 on: June 18, 2013, 06:10:48 am »

Hmm, my new DVD drive doesn't seem to be able to actually run DVDs. At least, The Sims 3 doesn't autoplay, and when I try to open it in Windows Explorer, it prompts me for a name to burn a new disk.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #33920 on: June 18, 2013, 06:21:22 am »

Huh, why doesn't TVTropes have The Women Men Don't See? xD I am disappoint, TVTropes.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33921 on: June 18, 2013, 06:30:31 am »

That trope is more for looking too far into things that don't have meaning.
The Women Men Don't See is more about the author looking dead into the metaphorical camera and telling us the lesson, and because it is in a narrative we are expected to learn something spectacular rather than apply some critical reasoning skills.
It is interesting as a narrative (Although I read it a while ago I remember finding it poorly written, but interesting) but interesting doesn't give something moral authority.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33922 on: June 18, 2013, 01:18:05 pm »

Sometimes a picture, or a story, of a cigar is just a narrative of a cigar.

Or of a pipe.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #33923 on: June 18, 2013, 01:29:58 pm »

So I went to the dentist yesterday and as usual nothing wrong with my teeth, they're all in working order, and as usual the dentist just put a friendly reminder that I should floss more.
So being a good little person I did as I always do after that and go out to buy some dental floss, and then promptly get frustrated as soon as I try to floss any teeth that are not my front teeth.

Seriously how the fuck is that shit supposed to work? Are dentists some kind of weird species that have extra hands inside their mouths that can grip the flossthingie behind the teeth? I sure as hell aint and neither do I have a big enough yap to fit my entire fist inside. So how the fuck are you supposed to get to the back teeth? I am thinkin I should try to indiana jones it and try to whip it behind there while nasaly humming du-du-DU-DUUU du-du-duuuuu.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #33924 on: June 18, 2013, 01:42:09 pm »

I use my index and thumb to get back there. Sometimes I need to loop the floss around my finger to keep it tight enough to work without slipping.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33925 on: June 18, 2013, 03:09:41 pm »

Going back to that silence=guilt thing a few pages back, doesn't being read your Miranda rights make your 5th Amendment rights implicit? Wasn't that the entire point of the Miranda case about that? The article Truean posted also mentioned the Tsarnov case, saying that the new ruling would make his silence essentially self-incriminating during the 16 hours he was questioned by police before he was read his rights. I'm not even sure that would apply since Tsarnov physically couldn't answer questions, having just woken from surgery for multiple gunshot wounds(including one to his throat, I believe). Also that questioning was mainly to determine if there was threat of another attack, not necessarily as part of the criminal investigation.

What's next, not being appointed a court attorney based on the fact that a person could be their own attorney and therefore fulfilling the right to one?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33926 on: June 18, 2013, 03:13:24 pm »

So I went to the dentist yesterday and as usual nothing wrong with my teeth, they're all in working order, and as usual the dentist just put a friendly reminder that I should floss more.
So being a good little person I did as I always do after that and go out to buy some dental floss, and then promptly get frustrated as soon as I try to floss any teeth that are not my front teeth.

Seriously how the fuck is that shit supposed to work? Are dentists some kind of weird species that have extra hands inside their mouths that can grip the flossthingie behind the teeth? I sure as hell aint and neither do I have a big enough yap to fit my entire fist inside. So how the fuck are you supposed to get to the back teeth? I am thinkin I should try to indiana jones it and try to whip it behind there while nasaly humming du-du-DU-DUUU du-du-duuuuu.
I use floss picks.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33927 on: June 18, 2013, 03:16:40 pm »

I don't floss my teeth because really I can't see how it helps, and my dentist has never mentioned it so eh.
Plus my teeth are kind of fucked up anyway. A lot of my molars have grooves etched in them (No idea why. They're not broken.), so I have those temporary fillings in most of the time; to stop food and such getting stuck in them.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33928 on: June 18, 2013, 03:18:57 pm »

I don't floss my teeth because really I can't see how it helps, and my dentist has never mentioned it so eh.
Plus my teeth are kind of fucked up anyway. A lot of my molars have grooves etched in them (No idea why. They're not broken.), so I have those temporary fillings in most of the time; to stop food and such getting stuck in them.
Most of my teeth have those grooves. Anyway, flossing helps you get the crap out from between your teeth that's there but you can't feel.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #33929 on: June 18, 2013, 03:46:04 pm »

I use floss picks.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ooh those look fancy, gonna try one of 'em and see if it helps.

I tried the thumb and index thing and still couldn't get to the two teeth furthest back without contorting my face to the point I looked like a horse popping a vein in it's forehead. With how bad I am at this I feel like I should be on one of those home shopping networks when they do the people can't do normal shit thing and that is why you need this rollapotatopeelingvacuumcleaner!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 03:48:16 pm by Aptus »
Pages: 1 ... 2260 2261 [2262] 2263 2264 ... 11037