Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2181 2182 [2183] 2184 2185 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14468646 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #32730 on: May 28, 2013, 09:12:32 am »

EDIT: come to think of it, will this mean that you have an extended period where your body's age is in the twenties, thirties etc., or does it mean that you'll age at the same rate, and will be a really shriveled old man/woman?
Well you know, there is supposedly that age-delaying/reversing thing they've tested in mice. By the time we get older, it might be a reality!
And then human was a jellyfish. Because he was jelly.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #32731 on: May 28, 2013, 10:09:22 am »

There's also the immortal jellyfish.

It's able to back to its childhood state after breeding, allowing it to, technically live forever.
Becoming a child again after sex would be fairly cool.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #32732 on: May 28, 2013, 10:11:19 am »

It's able to back to its childhood state after breeding, allowing it to, technically live forever.

I think the word you are looking for is creepy.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32733 on: May 28, 2013, 10:13:26 am »

I think the word you are looking for is creepy.
No, it would be cool.
Sig! Onol

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32734 on: May 28, 2013, 10:13:53 am »

Besides the cool/weird point, it would awkward if you wanted to do it again immediately, because laws.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32735 on: May 28, 2013, 10:15:09 am »

Besides the cool/weird point, it would awkward if you wanted to do it again immediately, because laws.
Presumably your partner would be a kid as well.
Is it pedophilia if two kids have sex?
Sig! Onol

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32736 on: May 28, 2013, 10:20:25 am »

Presumably your partner would be a kid as well.
Is it pedophilia if two kids have sex?

Back to creepy again.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32737 on: May 28, 2013, 10:21:19 am »

Actually, considering how fucked up laws are (you can be arrested - and charged - for having naked pictures OF YOURSELF if you're under 18), it probably legally is pedophilia.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32738 on: May 28, 2013, 10:34:31 am »

To move away from the creepy, have some science.

Transdifferentiation is the cellular mechanic by which one cell becomes a completely different kind of cell, and it's the biological mechanic behind stem cells being able to be specialized into any tissue, as well as "the immortal jellyfish" and its ability to age-regress if it can't find a mate in time. Another reason why Stem Cell Research is so important to furthering human development.

The biggest roadblock I see with this research is our brains. We don't fully understand how our brains store information, and until we do, even if we can regenerate our bodies or replace all our tissues with younger versions, we won't be able to do that with our brains without going all Phinneas Gage and compromising our personalities, memory, and identity. And unless we make our brains younger as well, we'll still have to deal with senility.

TL;DR: until and unless we can work out how to download and reprogram information from our brains, the cost of true eternal youth will be losing the personality and memories we had.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #32739 on: May 28, 2013, 10:37:15 am »

To move away from the creepy, have some science.

Transdifferentiation is the cellular mechanic by which one cell becomes a completely different kind of cell, and it's the biological mechanic behind stem cells being able to be specialized into any tissue, as well as "the immortal jellyfish" and its ability to age-regress if it can't find a mate in time. Another reason why Stem Cell Research is so important to furthering human development.

The biggest roadblock I see with this research is our brains. We don't fully understand how our brains store information, and until we do, even if we can regenerate our bodies or replace all our tissues with younger versions, we won't be able to do that with our brains without going all Phinneas Gage and compromising our personalities, memory, and identity. And unless we make our brains younger as well, we'll still have to deal with senility.

TL;DR: until and unless we can work out how to download and reprogram information from our brains, the cost of true eternal youth will be losing the personality and memories we had.

I doubt it. we would just change over time. As we always have.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32740 on: May 28, 2013, 10:41:34 am »

One reason I'm going to focus on replacing neurons and neural connections with more durable analogs, instead of another method like replicating each brain regions capabilities (If there even are brain regions, I think recent research is casting doubt on segregated brain regions) is because, even if we don't fully understand the brain, I'm pretty sure consciousness is in the connections and not in the actual neurons. Like how a conversation is the back-and-forth between two people, but not in the actual people (so you can replace the people with phones, or computers, and still have the conversation be the same), so too would consciousness be the mass back-and-forth of the neurons, and not actually intrinsic to the neurons.

Here's hoping I'm right, because then we can solve the brain problem quickly, rather than having to wait until we understand it fully! D:
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32741 on: May 28, 2013, 10:47:19 am »

Once I get to the point where I'm clearly dying, I'm going to liquidate all of my resources to try questionably-legal Science! experiments to keep myself alive.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32742 on: May 28, 2013, 10:59:04 am »

Yeah, I believe they've found a reliable way to double a mouse's lifespan.  Pretty exciting.
I thought they just learned that they were taking really poor care of their mice, and that the unhealthy mice tend to only live half as long as a mouse should?

That's been the general theme of mice experiments for the last decade or so, at least... "Hey, we thought we discovered something useful, but ACTUALLY we just discovered that sticking a bunch of guys heavily engineered to have no value except similarity in a cage, by themselves, with no entertainment and no rest, and feeding them nothing but flavourless pellets makes them die early. Who would have thought?"

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32743 on: May 28, 2013, 11:13:35 am »

That's been the general theme of mice experiments for the last decade or so, at least... "Hey, we thought we discovered something useful, but ACTUALLY we just discovered that sticking a bunch of guys heavily engineered to have no value except similarity in a cage, by themselves, with no entertainment and no rest, and feeding them nothing but flavourless pellets makes them die early. Who would have thought?"

As someone who's worked in lab research like that... this is incredibly likely, and incredibly sad.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 2181 2182 [2183] 2184 2185 ... 11037