Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2167 2168 [2169] 2170 2171 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14474208 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #32520 on: May 23, 2013, 06:58:17 pm »

I don't think there is a religion without faith, as that seems to be what the pic is mostly about.
Conceptually Buddhism, actually. Siddhartha was pretty big on the whole "reason this shit out yourself, I'm just offering some possible answers" thing, iirc. Meet buddha on the road, cut him down, etc.

Probably other ones out there, eh. Depends to a degree on what you classify as religion, ha. Classical buddhism was more philosophy than religion, by most standards. Largely because that whole "no metaphysics, idiots" rule Buddha kinda' put down.

And... right now, I can't actually recall what definition I was using for religion last time I cared to actually nail something down. Eh. There's more than one, which one you cleave to changes what fits in it, so forth, so on. People have been arguing off and on about it for a long damn time now, ha.

I was wondering how the surprisingly accurate buddhism and i think the deified Buddha weigh up statistically.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #32521 on: May 23, 2013, 06:59:49 pm »

It hurts me to see an old youtube video transcribed onto 4chan, then to see that transcription turned into low quality jpeg screenshots. People could just watch the video.

I did not know the video existed, could you link it perhaps?

Here's the original. Mary happens to be a dude.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32522 on: May 23, 2013, 07:51:41 pm »

Hey, fun question.  what do you all think of war bonds?  Would they be viable today?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32523 on: May 23, 2013, 08:06:09 pm »

Err, would people buy into them? Maybe?

War bonds were typically war bonds were never a good investment compared to other investments, heck most of the time people lost money on WWII bonds due to inflation.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
It's FEF, not FEOF

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32525 on: May 23, 2013, 08:51:44 pm »

The fiancee pointed out this. I was amused while reading of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_of_reason
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32526 on: May 23, 2013, 08:52:22 pm »

Amazon.com is going to be selling fanfiction
So normal fanfiction, except you can only write about franchises that they have licenses for, and readers have to pay for it? Yeah, that's going to be a commercial success. ::)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32527 on: May 23, 2013, 10:14:24 pm »

So normal fanfiction, except you can only write about franchises that they have licenses for, and readers have to pay for it? Yeah, that's going to be a commercial success. ::)
But what does it cost amazon? If the answer is anything less than "something", then there's no downside.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32528 on: May 23, 2013, 10:18:48 pm »

But what does it cost amazon? If the answer is anything less than "something", then there's no downside.
a chunk of money does go to royalties, basically they make money but have to share with the copyright holders.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #32529 on: May 23, 2013, 10:22:30 pm »

Why would you want to pay for fan-fiction? Like seriously? It's not as if the various fan-fiction communities are producing substantial pieces of work on a daily basis.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32530 on: May 24, 2013, 12:34:02 am »

a chunk of money does go to royalties, basically they make money but have to share with the copyright holders.
Given the combined facts of there being established free alternatives and the fact that their selection of works to write about is... slim, to say the least, it's not exactly a stroke of genius. They might make enough to make it worthwhile, but I see no possible future where it's even remotely as successful as free fanfiction.

3. Run Resize Enable

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32531 on: May 24, 2013, 12:36:02 am »

You say that, but then people buy bottled water in areas where tap water is not only safe, but recommended as a healthier choice.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32532 on: May 24, 2013, 12:39:47 am »

Obvious conclusions go in, idiotic actions come out. Can't explain that!

In all seriousness, my conclusion is based on the assumption that people are basically rational, at least when it comes to securing the best and cheapest supply of things they like. That's probably a poor assumption to make.

3. Run Resize Enable

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #32533 on: May 24, 2013, 12:43:35 am »

Extremely. The exact opposite is true most of the time, in fact.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32534 on: May 24, 2013, 12:50:35 am »

Awareness is more of an issue, really. Something official like that is somewhat more likely to actually ping the radar of the sort of folks that believe if a thing has no price it has no worth, or the lot that really really want fanfiction but have never seen it and never heard of it (see: 50 shades sales). Bit of a preying/banking on ignorance thing, methinks.

I do rather doubt it's going to go anywhere in particular, though. Not having to go through all the license foofaraw is kinda' part of why a lot of people write fanfiction to begin with.

... is a kind of side along worry that some lackwits up top are going to try to crack down on fanfiction in order to attempt to squeeze a buck out of the concept, though. Good bloody luck with that, but given the general theme of things nowadays...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 2167 2168 [2169] 2170 2171 ... 11037