Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2061 2062 [2063] 2064 2065 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14471622 times)

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #30930 on: April 24, 2013, 04:28:53 pm »

I got another one since posting that :P
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30931 on: April 24, 2013, 04:46:01 pm »

Did I just discover a psychic power for improving my internet speed? I should be able to market this somehow...
I vaguely recall coming across some research back when I was in high school (so like 10+ years ago) about psychic influence on computers.  IIRC they had a random generator program and had the study group focus on trying to manipulate the results using only their mind.

They apperantly had some success.  With the study group repeatedly having a higher occurrence of the target result than the control group.

It was of course, so fringe science that it makes crypto-zoologists studying dragons seem mainstream. And since there haven't been any psychic breakthroughs in those 10 years it was probably bogus.  But it still makes you wonder...

Theoretically, our brains use electromagnetic impulses to communicate between neurons, generating a weak electromagnetic field around our bodies, so our presence could actually influence electronic devices to some extent. So, if we had a technology that could read changes in our electromagnetic fields and find some way in which humans can naturally and deliberately affect the field we generate, we could use that as a sort of user input.
I have a book that talks about that kind of research(I got it for $1, what a steal ::)), including that particular experiment. And yeah, a group of people concentrating on altering a RNG, and the results showed a significant shift in the bell curve in the direction the group was concentrating on.

It also talked about various experiments in remote viewing, including declassified CIA experiments. In a lot of these cases, supposedly, a person was given only geographic coordinates, and could apparently sketch a fairly accurate diagram and floorplan of a (often secret) site at those coordinates. One humorous incident from these experiments was when someone drew a sketch of a different secret facility a few miles down the road than the one they were supposed to scry.

There was a chapter about kinesis, but unfortunately macrokinesis(basically, spoon-bending and Vader-choking) sounded like it turned out to be a bunch of bullocks. Microkinesis, manipulating things like microbes and RNGs, seemed plausible(in the context of the other stuff).

One interesting thing was that from all the experiments, most of them that were run by people who believed it was true the results showed that it might just be, while most of the ones that were run be people who that it was a bunch of crap the results showed that it probaby was crap.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30932 on: April 24, 2013, 04:51:18 pm »

Which is why proper science is double blinded. The people doing the actual experiment and recording don't know what they're testing, and the people being tested don't know either. It's only the people who put the whole thing together that usually have an inkling.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #30933 on: April 24, 2013, 05:06:18 pm »

Neat!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30934 on: April 24, 2013, 05:11:09 pm »

Basically our brains are positronic.

;D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #30935 on: April 24, 2013, 05:15:13 pm »

* Skyrunner imagines nuclear reactions happening as part of metabolism

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30936 on: April 24, 2013, 05:16:49 pm »

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #30937 on: April 24, 2013, 05:21:08 pm »

That'd be an interesting energy source for an autotroph. Soon to be an ‼autotroph‼.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #30938 on: April 24, 2013, 05:38:16 pm »

It'd be even better than you may be thinking, though.

We could hunt by simply standing near something and letting the radiation fry them. We'd be the most powerful military in the galaxy, because all we'd need to do is be near to an enemy, and the radiation would kill them, or, at least, give them and their vehicles cancer.
You know, I actually did some work in the area of monster ecology?
 Really?
 Yeah, I spent 2 years determining how exactly flying pumpkin guys fit into the larger food web of the areas they live in.
 You're kidding.
 No, no. It's fascinating stuff. See, the pumpkins are sort of an apex predator, because they have fucking lasers. Turns out it's not hard to hunt rabbits and such when you can char them to ashes with a beam of hot plasma.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30939 on: April 24, 2013, 05:38:37 pm »

We could hunt by simply standing near something and letting the radiation fry them. We'd be the most powerful military in the galaxy, because all we'd need to do is be near to an enemy, and the radiation would kill them, or, at least, give them and their vehicles cancer.
I think that they actually meant beta decay to produce positrons. Which seems like it would be a good way to not exist.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30940 on: April 24, 2013, 05:43:16 pm »

I'm sorry Ms. The Tank Engine.  Thomas volunteered for this assignment and knew the risks, but I'm afraid he's paid the price.  He has inoperable boiler cancer.  He has 3 weeks to live.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30941 on: April 24, 2013, 05:47:30 pm »

I'm sorry Ms. The Tank Engine.  Thomas volunteered for this assignment and knew the risks, but I'm afraid he's paid the price.  He has inoperable boiler cancer.  He has 3 weeks to live.
His sacrifice will not be forgotten.  The rest of our train squadron was able to pull back with only minimal casualties after he warned us of the threat.  The scientist back at central are still investigating how he was actually able to get cancer, however. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #30942 on: April 24, 2013, 07:42:24 pm »

"Call in Toppam Hat"

*mechaToppam crushes opposition*
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #30943 on: April 24, 2013, 08:11:36 pm »

"Call in Toppam Hat"

Trainformers?
It's FEF, not FEOF

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30944 on: April 24, 2013, 08:30:13 pm »

"Call in Toppam Hat"

Trainformers?

I don't know what the hell that was, but somehow I was logged into Youtube(was checking Gmail earlier), so now that is forever stuck in my profile. FFFFFUUUUUU-
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 2061 2062 [2063] 2064 2065 ... 11037