Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2016 2017 [2018] 2019 2020 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14458647 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #30255 on: April 09, 2013, 10:43:12 am »

What do people do with their computers that such advanced cooling systems are necessary?

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #30256 on: April 09, 2013, 10:46:18 am »

Water cooling led me to mainframes and server farms on Wikipedia. And nineteen-inch racks.

Reminds me of the awesome depiction of a mainframe computer in Summer Wars, which sadly fried itself because they didn't have adequate cooling. ;_; Poor computer.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #30257 on: April 09, 2013, 10:54:58 am »

What do people do with their computers that such advanced cooling systems are necessary?
Overclocking. And the fact that the average quad-core desktop rig now has more transistors in it than ten Pentium 4s did. Overall power draw has increased significantly to where a 600W power supply is considered average at best. GPUs have their own heatsinks and cooling fans now.

Eventually you wind up where 2/3 of the interior of your case is devoted to fans and mammoth heatsinks and it just doesn't work anymore. Liquid cooling is an elegant, quiet solution to that. And unlike a fan/heatsink combo, if the fan fails, you're not going to see a heat spike destroy your PC in seconds. Even if the water pump fails, you'll have a minute or two to start getting alarms and have time to shut down.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #30258 on: April 09, 2013, 10:56:05 am »

... computers get hot (seriously: If you point a monitoring program at your computer right now it's probably closer to 100F than not, and a strong CPU and heavy use can inch that toward boiling.). Keeping them cool helps keep them from melting. From what I've noticed, liquid cooling tends to be generally more effective than the "less advanced" stuff. So it's not so much necessary as more effective (and presumably a net gain in terms of parts life time and maintenance.). Plus the aesthetics are arguably more impressive, heh.

i think you misunderstood.....

its not immersing the components in water, its using liquid coolant in tubing to take heat away from components.

otherwise i agree. immersing things in water, especially electronics is a baaaaad thing to do.
Well, not just immersion... liquid cooling in general is fancier than just blowing air through the system. I think.

And they do have full immersion cooling systems. They're pretty awesome, if... somewhat impractical for general use :P Very, very effective, though. Even the smaller scale personal computer level stuff.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #30259 on: April 09, 2013, 11:12:29 am »

Yup, typically immersion in a neutral oil. Crazy stuff. Can't help but mentally picture it as sticking your computer into a deep-fat fryer.  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30260 on: April 09, 2013, 11:19:19 am »

Yup, typically immersion in a neutral oil. Crazy stuff. Can't help but mentally picture it as sticking your computer into a deep-fat fryer.  :P
Mineral oil submersion FTW! I'm probably going to put together a big oil-submersed rig when I get a house and have no prospects of moving the thing.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #30261 on: April 09, 2013, 12:36:10 pm »

Java.

I update it to the most recent version, yet I cannot use it on a website because it's apparently outdated. I tell it to run it this time, and the webpage decides to fuck up.
I've had that for ages with one of these powder games.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #30262 on: April 09, 2013, 04:15:27 pm »

Mineral oil submersion FTW! I'm probably going to put together a big oil-submersed rig when I get a house and have no prospects of moving the thing.

I've heard it's been done to create a liquid immersion system using water. That sounds a little cray-cray.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #30263 on: April 09, 2013, 04:23:05 pm »

I've heard it's been done to create a liquid immersion system using water. That sounds a little cray-cray.
You need distilled water, anything less will have enough contaminants to carry current.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #30264 on: April 09, 2013, 04:24:42 pm »

for me its cooling simplified as all of my water is routed to a cooling block hidden away somewhere and my computer is dead silence.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30265 on: April 09, 2013, 04:30:33 pm »

You need distilled water, anything less will have enough contaminants to carry current.
So you need to separate the computer from the atmosphere to keep things dissolving too?
Sounds prohibitively difficult.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #30266 on: April 09, 2013, 04:31:04 pm »

More like prohibitively awesome.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #30267 on: April 09, 2013, 05:08:44 pm »

I would actually love to build a fishtank computer. I would even see if it was possible to put in a plexiglass barrier in so that the front of the aquarium could have actual water and fish, and the back would have oil and raw computational power.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30268 on: April 09, 2013, 05:10:40 pm »

I....I want one....now.

Maybe they can do that on that weird tv show where they turn stuff into fishtanks.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30269 on: April 09, 2013, 05:51:06 pm »

Apparently the powers at Google have decided that I would be best off using Youtube Australia.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 2016 2017 [2018] 2019 2020 ... 11040